Right Hip (Or Left Hip for Lefties) vs. Shoulder Turn

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I know that getting your back to the target is a good swing thought. I also know that our hips are supposed to brace against the upper body. Sometimes, however, this creates a conundrum for us mere amateurs (or maybe just me) because we are less flexible than the average tour pro.

When I am working on the full swing, should I (1) concentrate more on a bigger shoulder turn, even if my right hip opens up more than it should, and once I have the proper shoulder turn, then work on tightening up my right hip?

Or, should I (2) focus on more right hip stability and then once I feel confident in that stability, work on bigger shoulder turn with that right hip stability?

I know that getting your back to the target is a good swing thought. I also know that our hips are supposed to brace against the upper body. Sometimes, however, this creates a conundrum for us mere amateurs (or maybe just me) because we are less flexible than the average tour pro.

When I am working on the full swing, should I (1) concentrate more on a bigger shoulder turn, even if my right hip opens up more than it should, and once I have the proper shoulder turn, then work on tightening up my right hip?

Or, should I (2) focus on more right hip stability and then once I feel confident in that stability, work on bigger shoulder turn with that right hip stability?

I look foward to reading some better educated peoples answers.

Speaking as a complete amateur myself I embrace the better of the two would be the hip brace as you called it. It is imperative to keep the weight within the right side of the right foot ( right handed golfers). In my opinion its easier to work on shoulders then it is to try and control the swing if the weight moves to much.

This is something I have wondered lately too...watched Greg Norman on the GC recently talking about his swing thought was always "Right Pocket Back"...he concentrated on moving the right back pocket away from the ball.

I think shoulder turn. Some hip turn is alright. But I wouldn't start or continue a backswing with my hips.

SneadBackswingDTL2.jpg

No right or wrong answer as there is more than one way to swing a club, but I think age and natural flexibility come into play. I do think a big reason most amateurs slice the ball and struggle with distance is they don't make a full enough shoulder turn. If making a fuller hip turn(maybe by closing your stance a little and flaring your right foot out) allows you to get your shoulders turning more it should help your overall distance and consistency. I have switched recently to having a fuller hip turn to decrease the stress on my spine as I approach 50. I would like to play well for another 25 years and my old swing with a very restricted hip turn was putting a lot of stress on my spine. Much of this swing change has only been possible by starting an exercise routine to increase the flexibility and strength in my hips, shoulders, and core. (read Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing if interested)

The player that played the best the longest, Sam Snead, had one of the fullest hip turns in history. Of course Slammin Sammy was one of the most flexible golfers in history and an amazing all around athlete.

You should turn your shoulders as far as your body will allow. The hips will naturally follow due to lack of flexibility. Forcing a larger turn is what most due to get more power and end up with less power and even less control.

As we get older, if we are not taking steps to stay flexible, we need to accept what we do have. If more people did, the game would be more fun for them because they would be chasing that illusive extra 5 yards.

You should turn your shoulders as far as your body will allow. The hips will naturally follow due to lack of flexibility. Forcing a larger turn is what most due to get more power and end up with less power and even less control.

As we get older, if we are not taking steps to stay flexible, we need to accept what we do have. If more people did, the game would be more fun for them because they would be chasing that illusive extra 5 yards.

So you're saying over swinging is bad???? :).

Blugold=case in point

But Freddie, I can have an absurd shoulder turn if I my hips open up a lot. My question is really not about chasing an extra 5 yards. I am somewhat flexible and hit the ball a long way. I'm trying to ingrain the correct "feeling" in my swing and ensure I'm thinking about shoulders vs. hips properly.

Does that make any sense?

The feeling you are looking for is to turn the shoulders against the lower body.
But Freddie, I can have an absurd shoulder turn if I my hips open up a lot. My question is really not about chasing an extra 5 yards. I am somewhat flexible and hit the ball a long way. I'm trying to ingrain the correct "feeling" in my swing and ensure I'm thinking about shoulders vs. hips properly.

Does that make any sense?

Back