Cobra Baffler XL Irons - THP Preview

The stock graphite in reg.
We been having & playing in 20 mph the last month and from address I don't feel like I have to come out of my shoes to hit em. I also don't have any problems flighting them down when the need arises. Last night I hit a GW 70 yrds low with bite into the wind with ease instead of a SW or LW up high.

My game has been improving. Not saying its all club but there is a correlation between them & me.
Shot +5 for 9 last night & the bogeys were chip yips & putts. Threw longest from the green chips were 5 yrds. Most were a couple of feet from the green

Another fantastic day with the 7i and SW. Yet again, 3 shots with the SW from 60-95 yards within 6 feet. Just stupid impressed with this. Chipping around the green was decent also.

Hit it out of 3 bunkers and was out on the first swing each time.

Have a thought about dropping the need for a TT 58 or 60 and using that spot for a low lofted FW wood. Doing everything I can to simplify the game and using that 54 instead of 58 may be a good move.

Another fantastic day with the 7i and SW. Yet again, 3 shots with the SW from 60-95 yards within 6 feet. Just stupid impressed with this. Chipping around the green was decent also.

Hit it out of 3 bunkers and was out on the first swing each time.

Have a thought about dropping the need for a TT 58 or 60 and using that spot for a low lofted FW wood. Doing everything I can to simplify the game and using that 54 instead of 58 may be a good move.

You were great with that SW when called upon. Pretty consistent little club for you.

I got fitted for these at our local demo day yesterday. I was a little surprised that they fit me for 1 inch short. I can't argue with the results I was seeing.

Nice Cookie. Interesting thoughts on the fwy wood.

I had a shot the other day. Hard pan dirt, 175 yrds, it wasn't a problem for the XL's 5 iron. These bad boys work in all types of terrain

I got fitted for these at our local demo day yesterday. I was a little surprised that they fit me for 1 inch short. I can't argue with the results I was seeing.

Stock dimensions are pretty long. I was super impressed with these at a local demo day.

I had a shot the other day. Hard pan dirt, 175 yrds, it wasn't a problem for the XL's 5 iron. These bad boys work in all types of terrain

Awesome stuff Bulldog! I'm glad these are working well for you. Does this mean I get your AMP Cell 8 iron? :act-up:

Sorry traded them in for these.

The stock graphite in reg.

I am looking for more GI in my irons and was at the store demo'ing a bunch of irons including the Bio Cell, Ping G25, Karsten, Adams New Idea, Nike Covert 2.0, Nike VRS 2.0 forged, Callaway Apex, Apex pro, etc.

All nice clubs, then I saw the odd-looking Baffler XL 7i with stock Cobra R graphite 55g shaft and gave it a swing. I could not believe how straight, high, and far the ball went with minimal effort. The lowly stock graphite shaft really impressed me (6i sw speed 75) with how stable it was through impact. They didn't have the stock steel shaft, but 125 mg would be too much for me anyway, and I loved how the head weight felt through the swing with light shaft on it. I think I will be getting these irons soon, but I haven't had the chance to try the XL hybrids.

The Adams New Idea irons was probably as long and forgiving, but the 6, 7 "hybrid-iron" just looked so funky and odd, I don't think I want to hang with that..

I am looking for more GI in my irons and was at the store demo'ing a bunch of irons including the Bio Cell, Ping G25, Karsten, Adams New Idea, Nike Covert 2.0, Nike VRS 2.0 forged, Callaway Apex, Apex pro, etc.

All nice clubs, then I saw the odd-looking Baffler XL 7i with stock Cobra R graphite 55g shaft and gave it a swing. I could not believe how straight, high, and far the ball went with minimal effort. The lowly stock graphite shaft really impressed me (6i sw speed 75) with how stable it was through impact. They didn't have the stock steel shaft, but 125 mg would be too much for me anyway, and I loved how the head weight felt through the swing with light shaft on it. I think I will be getting these irons soon, but I haven't had the chance to try the XL hybrids.

The Adams New Idea irons was probably as long and forgiving, but the 6, 7 "hybrid-iron" just looked so funky and odd, I don't think I want to hang with that..
If you like the irons you will love the hybrids. Really solid combo set that is under rated in my opinion.

Hit these at a demo day last Sat. Went back and bought them Sunday. Played them Thursday, Friday and Saturday and each day shot at or below my personal best which was 45 at my local 9. 45/44/45/43. Had been over 50 the other 2 times I played there this year. Funny thing is the first time I shot 45 it was my putting. I have not putted well for any of these rounds. My 43 included a few 3 putts. For me anyhow these have been a game changer. They are not the longest clubs for sure but easy as anything including "Hyrons" I have ever played.

Don't want to suggest these are magic as I must be doing something right but I shot another personal best 41. Flew the green on two of my bogeys with just solid contact. I am practicing hard too but I am blown away by these. I have combo set regular graphite standard dimensions. Really feel confident with these in my hands right now. They are a good value for the higher handi capper.

Like Cookie, I am doing a reshaft. Have a Graffaloy ProLaunch Red graphite on order and will put it in my 9 iron and give it a go.

Like Cookie, I am doing a reshaft. Have a Graffaloy ProLaunch Red graphite on order and will put it in my 9 iron and give it a go.

Let us know how the Graffaloy works out.

I have noticed that low handicappers tend to praise the stout, heavier graphite shafts in general, but for high handicappers like me, often the lighter, less prestigious shafts fit better.
For example, I tried the wonderful (and expensive) Callaway Apex irons, both with the X95 steel shaft and the vaunted UST Recoil graphite shafts, and although both were good, I preferred the X95 steel. They were so similar (which is what's praised about the Recoil), they were too similar to the point of graphite shaft feeling like a steel shaft. I know graphite is good for absorbing vibration, but the lowly oem graphite in something like Baffler XL also absorbs vibration, feels like graphite and much lighter. I wonder who makes the oem graphite shaft for Cobra?

I still only have the 7i (PXi 5.5) and SW (stock shaft) in my bag but am constantly impressed after each outing.

Yesterday I had 2 shots with the SW in the 75-100 yard range and both ended up within 10 feet, and one was 3 feet for an easy birdie.

18 is a 3 shot par 5 and I had 163 to the middle with a slight tail wind and hit a beauty of a shot with the 7 to about 20 feet past the pin (pin in front third of green).

The only area where I'm still having some growing pains is within 35-40 yards on those real touch shots (and also greenside chipping). I've always played a 54* MB and had great success with the J40 and RTX. The turf interaction is definitely different between these styles but I just gotta keep on working it. I've noticed that I've lost some of the feel with the club between the head styles but I've also seen the head get through to the ball better if I come in a little heavy.

Excited to place the MC order for the 6-SW in this set...all with PXi 5.5.

I have been playing these now for 3 weeks. I continue to be impressed with both hybrids and irons. Added a 2 hybrid and SW. The turf interaction especially on the irons is remarkable. My GHIN has dropped 1.5 strokes and much of the credit goes to the new clubs and the confidence I have in them. I hit these straighter than custom fit G 20 and G25's which were upright bt 2.25-3 degrees. These are off the rack standard lie angle.

Played well with mine today. 43, 40..83 on a 36, 35.. 71.
Doh, back nine I had 1 birdie, 5 pars & 3 doubles.

I still only have the 7i (PXi 5.5) and SW (stock shaft)
Excited to place the MC order for the 6-SW in this set...all with PXi 5.5.

Is PXi an option from factory with Baffler XL and for how much?

I loved the PX95 flighted shafts (in X2 Hot Pro irons). I play R flex, but even the flighted 6.0 was not too stiff and loaded easy and kicked like a mule. PXi is supposed to be a little heavier and lower launching, similar spin.
I wish my Baffler XL irons had PX 95 flighted shafts in them :clapp: I think that combo would be extremely long and forgiving.

Playing with Baffler XL hybrids (4, 5, 6), the more I play I'm not digging the head:shaft weight balance with stock Cobra graphite shafts. The head part feels too heavy in swing compared to shaft. For now I have gone back to Adams Super LS hybrids, which feel more balanced to me although they are supposed to be for "better players."

Is PXi an option from factory with Baffler XL and for how much?

I loved the PX95 flighted shafts (in X2 Hot Pro irons). I play R flex, but even the flighted 6.0 was not too stiff and loaded easy and kicked like a mule. PXi is supposed to be a little heavier and lower launching, similar spin.
I wish my Baffler XL irons had PX 95 flighted shafts in them :clapp: I think that combo would be extremely long and forgiving.

Playing with Baffler XL hybrids (4, 5, 6), the more I play I'm not digging the head:shaft weight balance with stock Cobra graphite shafts. The head part feels too heavy in swing compared to shaft. For now I have gone back to Adams Super LS hybrids, which feel more balanced to me although they are supposed to be for "better players."

I don't believe they offer much in custom shafts when ordering online but I believe that if you reached out to their CS department, you could place an order with the PXi's.

Curious has anyone compared the XL's to last year's Baffler irons?

Curious has anyone compared the XL's to last year's Baffler irons?

I have hit both but much prefer these.

I've seen JB comment on it before, they really are 2 completely different designs. Definitely not just a little cosmetic change.

I finally gamed the GW today, and all I have to say is why didn't I do that sooner. Plays like an iron, hits like a wedge. Hit into the fescue a couple times and it was one hit kill, and on the green.

I finally gamed the GW today, and all I have to say is why didn't I do that sooner. Plays like an iron, hits like a wedge. Hit into the fescue a couple times and it was one hit kill, and on the green.

Awesome. I've LOVED the SW and can't wait to get the GW (and rest of the set) into play!

Back