The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my best driving round ever today. Didn't miss a single fw and every drive was straight. I was extremely excited about that! Found a tip to help me with my alignment, turns out I had my feet and club both pointed at my target causing my paths to cross kinda thing. Setting my club and then stepping in parallel made the world of difference for me. Holy hell tho my short game needs help. 4 3putts and far too many nasty chips leaving me long putts. I REALLY need to put some time in working around the greens.

Range time, and then short game area after 18 today. Putting green closed for repair, will work on the home mat.

Thought about skipping the range today. Been dealing with a sore back and a couple of long days. Glad I decided to go anyway. Wasn't really able to muscle shots as much, and had a lot more consistency in terms of contact. Continued to work on consistency with my longer irons, 4-6. Felt really good. Starting to feel a more reliable shot shape, a cute little 5 yard fade with the 6 iron that gets very high in the air. Easy to adjust for. Then went to work on my longer irons...the fade gets a little bigger, but still feels manageable. After a few weeks of not getting the ball in the air, this felts really good.

After that, went to work on my wedges. Lately I'd been dead-pulling everything. Grip was just way too strong. Learned to open the face a little bit, and got back to some great, high-trajectory shots. Address position is everything there. Getting the grip right, the right place in the stance, to get back to solid ball-first contact. Tearing the cover off the ball with my wedges. Felt amazing.

From there I worked on my alignment. Getting the ball to pass over or land in line with markers on the range, which bouncing around from one club to the next. Making this work was easily where I had the most fun and really boosted my confidence. Grab a club and not worry about the yardage; just get a feel for the wind and my shot shape and make a smooth, relaxed swing. Not really dead-on every time, but often enough to really enjoy that part.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my iron swing, and getting in 18 with a friend of mine tomorrow. But this alleviates so much pressure and really reignites my confidence.

I haven't been happy with how I'm stroking my Ghost Tour M81 so I added some lead tape to my Odyssey and put it to work getting my putting stroke going. My main complaint with the Odyssey was it being too light for me, so now that its at a nice hefty weight Im working on keeping my shoulders in control of the putter. So far, so good. Putting it to the test tomorrow morning.

Another range session under the belt. Man I've got a lot going through my mind, but I will get there. Forgot my training aids and camera so can't review what I was doing. Will try and get another session in before I leave Sunday.

abupuvu3.jpg

More 6 iron and 3 wood off the deck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

9u3a7ysy.jpg

Lesson day for me. Man it was a great one too. I went in thinking it would be gloom and doom, but that wasn't the case at all. We worked from 9 iron down to 6 for most of it. Just tightening up the swing, worked a little on alignment as well. My takeaway was a little too far inside, so when we worked that out I was no longer coming OTT. Really started to hit the ball great with the irons. Then moved down to fairway woods and things got crazy. Grip changed, posture changed, takeaway and tempo yup they changed too. Started to see better results with those at the end of the session. Went back to irons and it was like magic, everything was back to being good. Some things to practice and my next one is a week from Monday. Feeling good though.

Lesson day for me. Man it was a great one too. I went in thinking it would be gloom and doom, but that wasn't the case at all. We worked from 9 iron down to 6 for most of it. Just tightening up the swing, worked a little on alignment as well. My takeaway was a little too far inside, so when we worked that out I was no longer coming OTT. Really started to hit the ball great with the irons. Then moved down to fairway woods and things got crazy. Grip changed, posture changed, takeaway and tempo yup they changed too. Started to see better results with those at the end of the session. Went back to irons and it was like magic, everything was back to being good. Some things to practice and my next one is a week from Monday. Feeling good though.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you're back! Looks like your guy at Eagle Crest?

Gosh,what a really nice range session today. I mostly focused on being focused...pre-shot routine of grip, set up, intermediary target, etc. every single time before hitting. I worked my way through just about the whole bag taking that more methodical approach and had good results throughout. The volume of bad shots was way down and they weren't even all that bad. I was able to hit to quadrants of a practice green rather than just hitting at the green. Good stuff. I also spent a bunch of time hitting Pelz 50-70 yard shots at these wooden buckets the placed on greens. I never made one in the bucket but overall the shots were way better than normal, I would have had a bunch of decent putts. #happy.

Hit 3 buckets at the range tonight. Most of the first 2 buckets was spent with my wedge practicing what felt like half swings in an attempt to shorten my swing. There was a big rainstorm that came through right as I was starting the 3rd bucket, so it gave me some time to think about what I wanted to do with the last bucket. I remembered that last year, I had used a Swingyde as a tool to stop my wrists from getting overactive. I put that device on my 7 iron and went to work. What I figured out is that in order to keep my wrists quiet, I had to really focus on making a a connected backswing and not get quick in the backswing. That allowed me to keep some width in the backswing and not overswing as much, and my arms were able to stay in front of my chest a bit more. I'm still not making a great downswing as I'm flipping a bit at the bottom, but the huge misses that I had when I was playing earlier this week were much better today.

After that, I hit about 15 balls with my driver, and probably 2/3 of them were just hammered with very little movement. I've got a tournament on Monday, so this session made me really happy. I'm going to put in some more work tomorrow afternoon and evening and keep working on a more connected backswing with very little wrist action.

Sounds like you're back! Looks like your guy at Eagle Crest?

Yup back at eagle crest. Going to try and sneak out for 9 tomorrow. If not maybe some quick range time. Just pumped with what I was seeing today.

Some range time yesterday and today before my round working on dropping my hands to the inside to hit a draw off the tee. Was getting really consistent before the rain delay. Was seeing more distance too. First time I've been able to work the ball effectively off the tee. Really felt great to accomplish that today. Looking forward to getting back to the range and workin on it more.

Teaching brother slam

Favorite part of that video is when you say "see how I'm slamming?" and your brother says "yeah........you're doing something. Think you just try to hit the golf ball" lol

Range and putting green time this morning. Really feel like I am getting dialed in and not trying to do too much.

Crappy weather is keeping me inside to do some carpet putting. I'm realizing that my posture issues and lower back tightness translate over to my putting as well. Working on that posture with my set up and pre shot routine. Feels good so far. Much less pressure on my back.

Favorite part of that video is when you say "see how I'm slamming?" and your brother says "yeah........you're doing something. Think you just try to hit the golf ball" lol
I did all i could to get my brother to like golf . New set of clubs .. Play the best courses . He hates the game , not sure what to do next. I try to show him a few things , But pretty useless. He literally hates the game , comes up with a million excuses why he can't play on a particular day. He averages a round or 2 a year .. And he says that is even too much

I did all i could to get my brother to like golf . New set of clubs .. Play the best courses . He hates the game , not sure what to do next. I try to show him a few things , But pretty useless. He literally hates the game , comes up with a million excuses why he can't play on a particular day. He averages a round or 2 a year .. And he says that is even too much

I don't see why, seemed like he had a decent swing. Can't force it but it's too bad he doesn't enjoy it

Doing some work. #TeamFinley #theGauntlet
6e2ype5u.jpg

I will copy your post .. And email him .. He will get be so happy that you think he has a nice swing. . Maybe that might energize him to try a little more .. Thanks so much

Gate drill. Inside down the line.

maje9uve.jpg

Had a break between downpours so I ran to the range to get some work in with the new posture. Started work with full wedges working down to target pitches. I was really surprised with how much more distance control I have with the proper posture. I was throwing darts to the targets. I'm really pleased with that work. Good stuff.

Moved next into 8i, 6i, and 4i. Hit some really crisp shots within the first half dozen balls so started trying to work the ball some. This is not a strong suit of mine. I managed to get about half of my shots with each club to do what I intended. I was pretty happy with this for a first go. I seemed to have the most success with the 4i, which was a nice surprise. Maybe it had something to do with being deeper into the changes. Hit a few next with the 3h (my money club) and moved to the driver.

I just really love that thing. I can't believe that a 55g shaft is working for me. I was able to move the ball with ease for the first half of the driver session. I think I started getting fatigued or overswinging because I lost my sync a little from that point. Nothing crazy, but I wasn't as under control as I was earlier. The rain was coming back any second so I figured this was a good time to hit the gym for some core work.

All in all, a very productive day.

So at the end of last year I asked myself where was I in the game and how far did I have to go, I had some great rounds on tough courses and the swing was steady. The next step was the Morgan Cup, I had an uphill battle ahead of me because of a couple things, social media was really uncomfortable because I just haven't embraced it and second was my game itself if I got selected, I was swinging well but I didn't feel it was what I wanted.

After getting selected for the MC, I began the swing breakdown and rebuild, it's been a long difficult process especially after playing for so long with the swing I had but I committed myself to be better than I was yesterday. At the range I began working on taking the club back with the torso instead of the arms like I used too, I used to take the club really far inside and it caused many issues, shanks from coming too far inside and I couldn't clear my hips due to lack of room, a low hook that popped up from time to time, and a low uncontrollable ball flight. With the torso starting the take away the club stays further outside, allows me to get parallel easier, takes the arms out of the swing, and gives me all kinds of room on the downswing to get everything cleared. It has and is taking some hard work but I'm seeing the payoff now, my flight has risen considerably and is much straighter than it was before, I'm going after pins now fro 200 yds out without the fear of scary wild misses, my clubs are longer than they've ever been, yesterday I hit several drives in the 290 range and all my irons are between 1 and 2 clubs longer with a totally different trajectory and flight.

Now the challenges I have are fairways and greens which can only come from getting back out to the course on a regular basis, and that I will do, even if it's for a quick 9.

My point to all this jibber jabber is if you are taking lessons, changing your stroke, grip, plane,stance, or anything, stick with it no matter what. Even when the love for the game becomes filled with frustration, disappointment, unsure, or just flat out you getting pissed, I promise you it will get better! I have learned a ton in this thread both of what to do and not to do lol and no matter what I've tried the answer has always been more work.

It's frustrating for sure sometimes but when you truly see the positive changes and results of the work it's something special.

Now to work on the healthy living part of it lol.

Great read Marc. Eat the elephant one bite at a time, and celebrate the little successes along the way. That's how I've been dealing with minimizing the frustrations and set backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back