Callaway SR2 review

Ahedge

Reaction score
Handicap
13.01 GHIN
Hello all, I have been looking for some reviews on this ball and haven't seen any. Here it goes...

Had a playing lesson Monday, my teacher is a callaway staffer so during the round he gave me some SR2 balls to try out, we were working on multiple things during the round. I was impressed to say the least. I currently game NXT tour s ball, today I played 36 holes with the Sr2.

Driver- don't have any numbers to back it up but this seems to be lower spin off the driver I have battled a slice from time to time and today I had only one that sliced on me. I was able to play a straight shot or a fade with this ball with predictable ball flight, even hit one draw lol. This ball was longer for me than the nxt some of that may have been a little added confidence in the ball going straight. Had a few par 4's that were driver wedge. The ball flight was a little lower than the nxt as well which is a pro for me I launch the ball very high. I did hit one 3w into a long par 3 into the wind and it held the green.

irons- similar to driver this ball will move if you want it to but isn't hard to hit straight. All short irons either hop and stopped or stayed in its mark I had no approach shots that backed up. This felt very soft off the face.

wedges- you can attack the pin with the ball reminds me of a pro v that has a hair less spin.

Putter- soft off the putter not clicky

ok so in my personal opinion this ball is a Pro v that is slightly less spin off the driver and on the green but much more durable hit the cart path 2 and still gamed the same ball. Full wedge shots etc. same ball no cuts or little hairs.

in my exhaustive search for a lower driver spin ball that wiill allow you to go at the pin on approach and chips I have finally found it. This is my opinion that is all but I am extremely surprised and very happy with this ball.

Good info Ahedge. It's a pretty nice ball and I've enjoyed my time with it as well.

Hawk u like it over the z star?

I think I'd take the Z-Star, but that's just an individual thing. I don't mind a little more spin off the driver.

Thanks for all the good info. I have a dozen of these to put in play once the weather gets a bit warmer around here.

Thanks for the write-up! I am pondering trying these, so this is very helpful and I could benefit from the same aspects of the SR2 that you did. I think I'll give them a try when I exhaust the remaining brands in my bag.

The SR2 is really a great ball. It does everything well and has a nice soft feel. It's not as soft as the SuperSoft, which is out of this world soft. BUT, it has a better short game control than the SuperSoft. I think the SR2 is awesome.

I love the SR2, it really feels like a PV1 to me which I play most of the time. But the SR2 seems to be more durable and to me spins more off a wedge. Hit a 60 yd. wedge past the pin (by accident) and it backed up 6 ft, I never back up a PV1. Off the Driver just as long as the PV1 for me.

I'm really excited to get some time in with this ball. I appreciate your review. The more I play and improve I'm realizing why people buy expensive balls. When you expect a ball to check up on the green but it keeps rolling (Supersoft) you think about how worth it it would be to drop a few more bucks on a ball that will save you some strokes.

I bought a box of these yesterday. I don't think I'll be playing with them until next week, though. I'll be sure to post what I think after the round.

Thanks for the review....I played a dozen of the SR2 when they first came out, and while it was a good ball, it just didn't compare to the B330RX for me.

Ok, I played a round with these.

AWESOME.

I have to echo what has already been mentioned...the ball feels perfectly soft off the face, sidespin isn't exaggerated (in fact, it was reduced), and the ball feels great off the wedges and putter. A lot of my approach shots were within a foot of the mark. Durability is fantastic (they don't float though...lol).

Distance off the tee was another 5-10 yards over my previous gamer, the project (a).

In short, I liked the SR2 so much, that I am comfortable saying it is the best ball I have ever used, and I will likely be using it for the rest of the season.

Callaway is taking over my bag.

For reference, my previously gamed balls:

Q star
E6
TM RBZ Urethane
TM Project (a)
Hopkins
Pro V1

I have 2 rounds in with these. They do everything well. I particularly like the way they perform off the irons and hybrids. IMO worth the price for their durability. My new gamer.

This is my favorite ball by far. Found one on the course a couple of months back and have never looked back. Doesn't seem to spin much off the driver, but gets enough spin off the irons and wedges. Fits me perfectly.

I still have a few Chrome + left from last year but I need to get a dozen SR2s soon. Low spin off the driver and attacking the pin with wedges sounds like a winning combo to me.

As a follow-up, I have played several rounds with the SR2 since my prior write-up, and I stand by what I wrote earlier. This is my go-to ball right now. It just works for me, and the durability is surprisingly good.

Started playing this ball about 3 rounds ago. I echo what others say. More forgiving off the tee than my ProV1 and to me just as much spin around the green. I feel they are longer for me than the Prov1 is too. I've bounced them off cart paths (too many courses have the cart path cut across in the landing area) and they have held up. My SM4 wedges don't shred them either. I can throw these at the pin and they stick. I hope Callaway doesn't change this ball as its my gamer going forward.

Back