Ongoing lessons and equipment changes etc...........

I think what "Blu" says is very true and not just an excuse nor something that is a matter of self belief. Along with a few other posts in this thread it pretty much sums it up. Golf is not easy and it also does not have to always become any easier just because one puts hard work and good efforts. When one is better at something and/or worked hard to become better at something it is very easy (by human nature) to take it for granted that anyone can do it if they just tried hard enough, gave good efforts and dedicated themselves the proper way or the same way they did.

Not just to "majBC" but to anyone and the OP.
Truth is the above statement still does not work for everyone and in fact very many people. People can learn a ton about the swing, about their own swing, about how to do things and what to do about it, and how best to do it, and understand a ton about it all and put in the efforts and dedication and quite frankly still just cant seem to do it on a consistent basis no matter what. May even grasp what they are doing wrong and why and still cant bring themselves to do it correctly for them. May even be able to tell what others are doing wrong and yet cant repeat it consistently enough for themselves. Just the way it is. Golf is hard. Not a cop out, not an excuse, not a self fed mindset minimizer. Just a reality. Those fortunate enough to run scratch and low or even mid caps are the lucky ones of very many thousands or millions. And they also may surround themselves with others of similar ability and that just further enhances the honest but misguided thought that anyone can do it if they just put in the time and proper efforts. But it's simply not the case. You are in a small percentile whether you know it or not. Golf is hard, very hard and many or even most people on contrary to what one may think cant do it well enough to ever get to such a place as even a mid cap and be part of an over all small percentile of all who play the game.

I love this post! Very well stated as golf is the hardest sport I have ever played. I was a good athlete in my younger days. Played football, basketball, and baseball in high school. Letter and played first team in all three sports. You'd think being a good athlete with good enough timing to hit a baseball traveling 80 + miles per hour on a consistent basis would transfer over to golf. Not in my case. I did get to a nine handicap back when I lived in Augusta, Ga. That was playing at a hard golf course (Goshen Plantation) from the tips at 6900 yards. As I became older some of the pounding I took on my knee playing football (American style) my right knee started gong down hill. Three surgeries later and now I'm struggling to shoot bogey golf. That's after taking lessons from five pros. One of them Bobby Hix won teacher of the year in Georgia a few times. Just last week I went to super game improvement irons to hopefully help me enjoy the game more. It's not lack of time for me not being able to get better and stay better as I'm retired and able to play or practice every day if I choose. Golf is hard, at least in my eyes. I do believe in my prime that I could take a scratch golfer and put his arse in a baseball batting cage, jack the machine up to pro speed and I would whup em like a red headed step child at hitting the baseball. I don't buy the being athletic makes you automatically a good golfer. In the end people want to get better. We take plenty of lessons, try new equipment in search of the mother lode of game improvement and even then if you're not blessed with the silver spoon of golfing ability, it's all in vain but that's life. Enjoy your abilities to play the game so well. Many of us would love to be in your shoes :thumb:

I think what "Blu" says is very true and not just an excuse nor something that is a matter of self belief. Along with a few other posts in this thread it pretty much sums it up. Golf is not easy and it also does not have to always become any easier just because one puts hard work and good efforts. When one is better at something and/or worked hard to become better at something it is very easy (by human nature) to take it for granted that anyone can do it if they just tried hard enough, gave good efforts and dedicated themselves the proper way or the same way they did.

Not just to "majBC" but to anyone and the OP.
Truth is the above statement still does not work for everyone and in fact very many people. People can learn a ton about the swing, about their own swing, about how to do things and what to do about it, and how best to do it, and understand a ton about it all and put in the efforts and dedication and quite frankly still just cant seem to do it on a consistent basis no matter what. May even grasp what they are doing wrong and why and still cant bring themselves to do it correctly for them. May even be able to tell what others are doing wrong and yet cant repeat it consistently enough for themselves. Just the way it is. Golf is hard. Not a cop out, not an excuse, not a self fed mindset minimizer. Just a reality. Those fortunate enough to run scratch and low or even mid caps are the lucky ones of very many thousands or millions. And they also may surround themselves with others of similar ability and that just further enhances the honest but misguided thought that anyone can do it if they just put in the time and proper efforts. But it's simply not the case. You are in a small percentile whether you know it or not. Golf is hard, very hard and many or even most people on contrary to what one may think cant do it well enough to ever get to such a place as even a mid cap and be part of an over all small percentile of all who play the game.

By the way I am not a good golfer, but I really enjoy the game and I do realize I have accomplished some things in golf. No big deal though, as I look at golf as using tools to play a game with a ball. I think the human factor tends to over complicate the game as we do with most things in life.

I agree that just putting in hard work does not make one a good golfer. One thing I think anyone needs is the desire to be a good golfer and then have a plan to get there, whatever their idea of a good golfer is. I do think that saying golf is hard is a general statement that should be made more specific for each individual golfer. I do think that golf is primarily a mental game and thus ones attitude and mental out look can make a huge difference in the game of golf. By saying golf is hard we have a built in reason (excuse) if we fail (whatever your definition is of fail) at the game of golf. So if we are successful at golf (again your individual definition of what that means) we have overcome great odds (in our minds) and done great things. This sets up a no loose situation for us, if we fail at golf well most people do so no biggie, but if we succeed we have accomplished a very difficult feat. It is human nature. I do realize some use negative reinforcement as motivation and this is especially true in golf, so I guess that is not a bad thing. While I think lessons are good, I do think too many golfers don't participate enough in the lesson and make the swing their own. I think many don't realize how much the mental outlook affects the body and what it can accomplish.

I'll put on my hard hat and take some of the flak and agree somewhat with SaffaClint. I don't knock anyone taking lessons and for the vast majority would encourage it. However, as someone that has learnt how to swing themselves, I don't think lessons are the be all and end all. I've been accused of being some great golfer or naturally gifted, somewhat sacrcastically I suspect, on here cause I don't follow the THP mantra of lessons, lessons, lessons. Well, I'm neither. But what I've done is learn how to play reading tonnes of articles, watching videos and DVD's, keeping what is useful to me, discarding what isn't. I'm pretty much able to film myself and see where I'm going wrong if things aren't going to plan. I genuinely don't think a course of lessons would help me too much at this point. What would help me is some serious practice on my short game and putting, but I just don't have the time.
As for equipment, I agree with the earlier comment that said you can't buy a better game. However, I expect most people are like me when it comes to regularly buying new stuff, they just like shiny new clubs!

Two thoughts.

First, scoring is the correct measure of improvement but not the only measure. For some people improvement means things like eliminating a slice or not topping the ball, etc. that isn't necessarily going to show up in a handicap.

Second, people practice their swing, not scoring. Pick a day - any day - and look at the number of people on the practice green vs the number of people on the range. That explains the lack of movement on indexes.

Two thoughts.

First, scoring is the correct measure of improvement but not the only measure. For some people improvement means things like eliminating a slice or not topping the ball, etc.

Maybe that's where people are going wrong. The only thing that matters in golf is the number you write down on the scorecard, that is after all the objective of the game.

Maybe that's where people are going wrong. The only thing that matters in golf is the number you write down on the scorecard, that is after all the objective of the game.

I couldn't disagree more. Are you forgetting that some people just like to have fun? They could shoot a high score and still have a blast

I couldn't disagree more. Are you forgetting that some people just like to have fun? They could shoot a high score and still have a blast

Erm, no. I don't see how that is even relevant to what I wrote.

Erm, no. I don't see how that is even relevant to what I wrote.

You said the ONLY thing that matters in golf is the score we write down. How isn't that relevant?

Ongoing lessons and equipment changes etc...........

You said the ONLY thing that matters in golf is the score we write down. How isn't that relevant?

Writing down the score doesn't stop the game being fun. Trying to better your score doesn't stop it being fun. I sort of assumed we all play the game for enjoyment anyway. I forgot for a minute this is the internet, assume nothing :lol:

Writing down the score doesn't stop the game being fun. Trying to better your score doesn't stop it being fun. I sort of assumed we all play the game for enjoyment anyway. I forgot for a minute this is the internet, assume nothing :lol:

I think we're agreeing lol I was just saying score isn't always the most important thing for me and many others. Just being out, playing with friends and having fun is the most important for me

I think we're agreeing lol I was just saying score isn't always the most important thing for me and many others. Just being out, playing with friends and having fun is the most important for me

The object of the game of golf is?

To be fair, my post was in response to another post, and should not be taken as a stand alone comment, so yes, we are definitely in agreement. Fun is most definitely the most important part of the game, by a mile!

Because golf is hard.

Blu, Hogan said anyone with average ability has the potential to break 80. I believe it, and I will let you know when I get there. It might be a while, but I think he was right.

By the way I am not a good golfer, but I really enjoy the game and I do realize I have accomplished some things in golf. No big deal though, as I look at golf as using tools to play a game with a ball. I think the human factor tends to over complicate the game as we do with most things in life.

I agree that just putting in hard work does not make one a good golfer. One thing I think anyone needs is the desire to be a good golfer and then have a plan to get there, whatever their idea of a good golfer is. I do think that saying golf is hard is a general statement that should be made more specific for each individual golfer. I do think that golf is primarily a mental game and thus ones attitude and mental out look can make a huge difference in the game of golf. By saying golf is hard we have a built in reason (excuse) if we fail (whatever your definition is of fail) at the game of golf. So if we are successful at golf (again your individual definition of what that means) we have overcome great odds (in our minds) and done great things. This sets up a no loose situation for us, if we fail at golf well most people do so no biggie, but if we succeed we have accomplished a very difficult feat. It is human nature. I do realize some use negative reinforcement as motivation and this is especially true in golf, so I guess that is not a bad thing. While I think lessons are good, I do think too many golfers don't participate enough in the lesson and make the swing their own. I think many don't realize how much the mental outlook affects the body and what it can accomplish.

I realize this and it's likely my biggest downfall when it comes to golf, and life in general, if I'm being perfectly honest. I firmly believe in the adage "if you think you can, or think you can't, you're right"

The object of the game of golf is?
To have fun, and a pleasant experience. It is, after all, a game.

If you happen to have preternatural talent at it, there's the potential to even make a great deal of money playing a game. But for the rest of us, golf's pleasure is derived, I think, of some combination of scoring success, the visual and sensational pleasure of well-struck shots, enjoying the well-maintained great outdoors, the wonders of new and possibly improved equipment, and hanging out with old friends and making new friends. There are probably other facets of the game that people find pleasant, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Obviously the exact mix of these ingredients varies from one person to the next. I know golfers who hate being outside, and have played with people who are utter misanthropes. Some guys play with 20 year old clubs. Many have never had a lesson, and score very well hitting banana slices. Accusing any of these people of not enjoying the game properly seems pointless. Why say someone is or might be enjoying the game wrong by taking a lot of lessons or buying lots of gear?

So for the guys that don't care about their score and are just out to have fun. Is it the company that is fun? The beer? The food? Or is it fun making triples and higher on holes? I'm curious because that is when golf becomes not fun for me. Bad golf isn't fun. I feel I could have just hung out at a sports bar for the company, drink and laughs. But you truly find joy is playing bad, I applaud you.

So for the guys that don't care about their score and are just out to have fun. Is it the company that is fun? The beer? The food? Or is it fun making triples and higher on holes? I'm curious because that is when golf becomes not fun for me. Bad golf isn't fun. I feel I could have just hung out at a sports bar for the company, drink and laughs. But you truly find joy is playing bad, I applaud you.

Its not like I completely don't care about my score, of course I do but it's not the MOST important thing for me. I can shoot a high score and not have it ruin my day, I still enjoy myself at least a little. Its just a game and without the fun, why play? We don't make money doing it lol

Blu, Hogan said anyone with average ability has the potential to break 80. I believe it, and I will let you know when I get there. It might be a while, but I think he was right.

Still doesn't make golf easy.

There's a difference between not being happy with bad golf and not letting it ruin a day.

I don't like high scores. But when they pop up, I've got bigger fish to fry. No matter how high a round scores may be, it could always be worse.

Its not like I completely don't care about my score, of course I do but it's not the MOST important thing for me. I can shoot a high score and not have it ruin my day, I still enjoy myself at least a little. Its just a game and without the fun, why play? We don't make money doing it lol

Not saying not to have fun and yes I know it's a game. I enjoy myself 90% of the time but when I'm playing bad I do not. I feel object to try and do your best on each hole. If your best is triples then so be it. But that is not everyone's maximized capabilities. Lessons will fix this is a big way not the latest club.

Those that say lessons aren't needed, no referring to you, are just not correct. There is always room for improvement and going alone won't get it done. Now if you are satisfied with the level you have risen to on your own, that's another story and lessons aren't needed.

There's a difference between not being happy with bad golf and not letting it ruin a day.

I don't like high scores. But when they pop up, I've got bigger fish to fry. No matter how high a round scores may be, it could always be worse.

Like I said, I applaud those that can have fun playing bad golf. I just can't do it. A bad a hole here and there is one thing but a whole round of bad swings would not be fun to me.

Like I said, I applaud those that can have fun playing bad golf. I just can't do it. A bad a hole here and there is one thing but a whole round of bad swings would not be fun to me.

During the round I'm not happy. But it doesn't carry over once I step off the last green. It can't. I can't let it.

Not saying not to have fun and yes I know it's a game. I enjoy myself 90% of the time but when I'm playing bad I do not. I feel object to try and do your best on each hole. If your best is triples then so be it. But that is not everyone's maximized capabilities. Lessons will fix this is a big way not the latest club.

Those that say lessons aren't needed, no referring to you, are just not correct. There is always room for improvement and going alone won't get it done. Now if you are satisfied with the level you have risen to on your own, that's another story and lessons aren't needed.

I agree with most of that. Let me clarify because my posts about having fun were in response to a recent discussion about score being the only thing that matters in golf. Kinda got off on a side rant lol my initial response to this thread is I'm all for lessons and improving. Ive said numerous times lessons have been some of my best golf purchases. I do agree good golf makes it fun and i like to improve and try to shoot lower scores. It just won't ruin my day like blu said.

I agree, if I'm playing very badly, I'm not really having fun.

Bad hits, bad holes frustrate me. I hate it, but in the end it's a game I enjoy my time out there and I move on. Do I wish I could play scratch golf? Yeah, and I really think I'm capable of that, but I doubt I ever will because of a few factors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back