For those between flexes, which side do you err on?

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
I posted another thread about my recent thoughts about the fitting process, but this got me thinking about another question - for those of you that are between flexes - regular/stiff, stiff/xstiff - which side do you find you err on? For me, I'm starting to realize that I really like having that feeling of the shaft loading/kicking, so I prefer to be on the softer side, and may go back to playing R flex through the bag. However, one of my playing partners was saying the opposite - that he liked his shafts to have a fairly boardy feel and plays a stouter shaft than some of the folks he plays with, even though they take a faster/more aggressive cut than he does. I know you can soft step/hard step, but at the end of the day there's probably one side you'd prefer to be on than others. Just interested to see which side people tend to fall on.

I have always understood it is best to go with the softest flex you can control.

It would depend on where my game, age and health was. If I were still improving, and theoretically my swing speed was only going to get faster, then I'd probably opt for the stiffer flex, if i were truly on the cusp.

I believe that there are too many variables. It cost little to get fit for clubs compared to the amount you'll spend on a new set. And if you can't bring yourself to spend the extra cash you should be able to get on a monitor at golfsmith/etc for free to hit some.

Get on a monitor and see what works best for you. The regular shafts may increase distance, but the stiff may improve your dispersion. Same goes for stiff and extra stiff, or could be the other way around, or some other mix of variables.

My driver swing speed is 98-102 mph on an average swing so I'm right about at the line between regular and stiff. I tried both before I bought and while I got a few more yards with the regular I definitely saw less of the snap hooks with the stiff. The ones that went left didn't go quite as far left.

if you are buying new it doesn't cost any more to customer order a set that is hard stepped or soft stepped to get you to that in between flex on irons or you can get a driver/fw tipped if needed.

I have always understood it is best to go with the softest flex you can control.

I think I'm on board with this as well. On a monitor, my numbers are pretty similar between R and S - just a little less spin in S, but distance and dispersion are very similar. When I get out on the course, I find that the more exaggerated feel of the club loading in the weaker shaft helps my tempo.

I believe that there are too many variables. It cost little to get fit for clubs compared to the amount you'll spend on a new set. And if you can't bring yourself to spend the extra cash you should be able to get on a monitor at golfsmith/etc for free to hit some.

Get on a monitor and see what works best for you. The regular shafts may increase distance, but the stiff may improve your dispersion. Same goes for stiff and extra stiff, or could be the other way around, or some other mix of variables.

That's definitely true. However, I've been fit for R and S in different fittings, and have found that the numbers with a weaker flex (at least in irons) tend to translate better to the course. What I really need to think about doing next time I get fitted for clubs is to see if I can get a demo to take out, rather than hitting on a monitor or in a bay. I think (probably it's the engineer in me) that I want to try to make it all about the numbers, but there is definitely a big element of feel in there for me as well. That's why I wish it was possible to test a soft/hard-stepped club before you place an order.

Just put it to a monitor and see what your distance/dispersion numbers tell you.

I like the stiffer shafts. I had issues with a softer flex in a driver last year and it started to get in my head.

My driver swing speed is 98-102 mph on an average swing so I'm right about at the line between regular and stiff. I tried both before I bought and while I got a few more yards with the regular I definitely saw less of the snap hooks with the stiff. The ones that went left didn't go quite as far left.

This is me almost exactly. Ideally I'd probably go with KBS Tour R+ in my irons, but it's Perry much impossible to find unless you pay full price, which I can't bring myself to do. And my irons are the strongest part of my game, so it's worked out ok so far. I do like the stability.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Supposedly, according to people who know a ton more about shafts than I do, you should go softer. However, I think that it is also true that everyone is unique and needs to decide for themselves which is better. I have a pretty violent transition and my swing relies significantly on timing. Hence, for me, going stiffer produced better results.

Supposedly, according to people who know a ton more about shafts than I do, you should go softer. However, I think that it is also true that everyone is unique and needs to decide for themselves which is better. I have a pretty violent transition and my swing relies significantly on timing. Hence, for me, going stiffer produced better results.

That makes sense - I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. My tempo is on the slow/smooth side when I'm playing my best. If I get quick, I'm in trouble.

For me it is very shaft dependent. Flex profile has a lot to do with it for me. That is where on the shaft it is stiff and where soft. For example the stock fuel in the amp cell and PWR75 in the i25 I am stiff but in the covert and xhot regular all the way.

It would be nice if everybody used the flex codes and there was some sort of standardization but each shaft has unique properties and each swing is unique.

For me, I tend to go stiffer as I am right in the middle between stiff and x-stiff. I like to use that little extra stiffness to control my trajectory a little more

For me, I tend to go stiffer as I am right in the middle between stiff and x-stiff. I like to use that little extra stiffness to control my trajectory a little more

Same here. The extra stiffness helps with dispersion a bit I believe. Kim Braly says to play the stiffest shaft you can load, im going with that

I posted another thread about my recent thoughts about the fitting process, but this got me thinking about another question - for those of you that are between flexes - regular/stiff, stiff/xstiff - which side do you find you err on? For me, I'm starting to realize that I really like having that feeling of the shaft loading/kicking, so I prefer to be on the softer side, and may go back to playing R flex through the bag. However, one of my playing partners was saying the opposite - that he liked his shafts to have a fairly boardy feel and plays a stouter shaft than some of the folks he plays with, even though they take a faster/more aggressive cut than he does. I know you can soft step/hard step, but at the end of the day there's probably one side you'd prefer to be on than others. Just interested to see which side people tend to fall on.

Here's how I see it: If I can control my spin and flighting enough to go softer, I'll do so. That's typically why I have been trying to go stiff in my irons and wedges, while staying in X with my driver/woods/hybrids. What I lose in shaft inertia in my woods I gain in a pretty notable reduction in spin.

Here's how I see it: If I can control my spin and flighting enough to go softer, I'll do so. That's typically why I have been trying to go stiff in my irons and wedges, while staying in X with my driver/woods/hybrids. What I lose in shaft inertia in my woods I gain in a pretty notable reduction in spin.

This is exactly what I do as well....and what I was going to post, but Dan said right.

Yeah, I probably should have clarified that I was really talking irons there. I'm actually getting a fitting for woods done at the Callaway Performance Center near me tomorrow (where I got fit for my irons originally), so it will be interesting to see what comes of that.

I have played Callaway uniflex, stock TM and now PXi Flighted 5.5 iron shafts and a more driver shafts than I can shake a stick at. I think the flex designation is almost irrelevant. Some R flex shafts that are firmer in the tip feel more like S (and vice-versa) and - except for the softest Rs and stiffest S's - I will become accustomed to the feel of the shaft, making it perfectly playable.

Been considering going back to regular with a ss currently between 88 and 92. I remembered why I went to stiff in the first place.....I have a jerky swing in the change if direction. It's not so much the speed that does me in but if I get the violent change of direction I usually get then I spray the ball. Stiff keeps it in the fairways.....usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the shaft, and more importantly your swing.

If you have smooth transition I would recommend the softer of the two flexes. If you have a more aggressive transition I would go softer.

With my slower swing speed I have gone Stiff flex in my driver/Hybrid and reg flex in my irons and 5W.

As soft as I can go while controlling the flight and spin. There are so many shaft choices now the tough part is getting it narrowed down to 2 or 3 I like. It's important to remember that there is really no flex standard for off the shelf shafts so some regulars can play like another stiff and vice versa. A good launch monitor can save you a lot of time in narrowing down the shaft and flex that is right for your swing. I'm between a stiff and an X flex in many of the better shafts so often I will buy the stiff and trim the shaft a half inch or so to stiffen it up.

I might be on the opposite spectrum .. But I error on more flex . Im pushing mid 40's soon , and more flex mean less effort and less Mis hits for me .

Just put it to a monitor and see what your distance/dispersion numbers tell you.

I have found that is not even close to being that simple unless the monitor can follow you around a course. Hitting on a range tells me very little about the game most bring to the first tee. A 150 yard wide range is much easier to hit than a 25 yard tree lined dogleg. My opinion on flexes is find a way to take both out onto the course and hit them both off the tee. This game is about feel and on the course is the only place where that really comes out...

Back