Pondering Balls...

stevececil

Sweating it out in AZ!
Reaction score
Handicap
I won a free dozen golf balls of my choice from a local radio golf show in their Beat the Pro contest. I don't have much experience with higher end balls, I just normally play what I can find on sale. My swing speed with the driver is mid to low 80's (broke my back in HS and can't swing much faster). Any advice on what to try? Any favorites?

Thanks!!

Callaway SR1 is made for guys with your swing speed. Might be worth a try. Nice spinny ball.
Same for Bridgestone B330 RX.

I like Hawk's suggestion for higher end balls.

Some others to consider after the "freebie" would be the Callaway Super Soft and the Wilson Staff Duo. Good luck, and congrats on winning the free balls.

I would opt for a box of Titleist ProV1's and sell them to a friend for $40 and pick up two boxes of Bridgestone E6's.

I've recently become a big fan of the Srixon Z-Star. Great distance with excellent spin around the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen to Hawk, those are solid suggestions.

If you're a relatively slow swingspeed player I'd prefer to play with a super low compression ball like the Callaway SuperSoft or the TaylorMade.

And when you have the chance to just pick any kind of ball you'd normally never buy. Buy the king of balls: Titleist ProV1(x) and enjoy the crap out of them.

Wilson staff FG tour is also a lower compression ball. (70, supposedly the softest "tour" ball.)

If you're a relatively slow swingspeed player I'd prefer to play with a super low compression ball like the Callaway SuperSoft or the TaylorMade.

And when you have the chance to just pick any kind of ball you'd normally never buy. Buy the king of balls: Titleist ProV1(x) and enjoy the crap out of them.

Love the supersoft but have heard the SR1s are really good. My swing speed is similar, at about 90

Thanks for the suggestions, I will let you know what I finally come up with.

Pondering Balls...

Love the supersoft but have heard the SR1s are really good. My swing speed is similar, at about 90

I'm at about 112mph myself. Have tried the FG Tour (softest "tour" ball) last weekend and liked it, but had better results with the ProV1x. Haven't had the pleasure of the SR1 yet.. My normal ball is the Srixon AD333 by the way, preferred in Tour Yellow :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll get a lot of responses, as nearly everyone is likely to tout the ball they like. So I'll say it depends on what you want from a golf ball. Straight, high launching, not much spin around the greens? Srixon Q-Star, Callaway X2Hot, or Bridgestone e6. I always kinda think of those as sitting in the middle. From there, more spin means the Hex Chrome, then the SR-series, or the ProV1, TaylorMade Tour Preferred, etc. And if you want more launch and less spin, the SuperSoft, Duo, or FG Tour.

It's by no means an exact measurement, but that's a rough sketch of how I view the balls. None of them are bad. Just a question of what you're looking for.

I would opt for a box of Titleist ProV1's and sell them to a friend for $40 and pick up two boxes of Bridgestone E6's.

If you act quickly Golfsmith has Boxes of E6's with 1 sleeve of 2014 B330-RX's attached. Also, unlike most other brands you can use coupons against the purchase of boxes of Bridgestone balls at national retailers. So 2-Dozen E6's and 1/2-Dozen B330-RX's could be had for under $40 with the right coupon.

OOOHH...got to find one of those coupons.

OOOHH...got to find one of those coupons.

Here is how to get 3 dozen Bridgstone e6 golf balls + 2 sleeves of B330-RX , for $1.95

Follow these steps:

1. Select Titlist ProV1 as prize choice.
2. Sell ProV1 to soemone for $40
3. Order 6 dozen Bridgeston e6 with B330-RX sleeves off Golfsmith for $161.94
4. Use $30 off $150 purchase coupon to bring price to $131.94 (this is active online right now)
5. Sell 4 sleeves of the B330-RX for $30 (you still have 2 sleeves left for you) bring your cost to $101.94
6. Sell 3 boxes of Bridgeston e6 golfballs for $20 each bring your cost to $41.95
7. Subtract the $40 from your ProV1 sale for a total cost is $1.95

Callaway SR1 is made for guys with your swing speed. Might be worth a try. Nice spinny ball.
Same for Bridgestone B330 RX.

Agree on both. Great balls.

Thanks for all of the replies, this is what I wound up doing:

My free box of balls turned out to be the Callaway SR1, built for my swing speed and way too expensive for me to normally buy, so a great time to try them out. Also from ChristopherKee letting me know I just bought a box of Bridgeston e6 with an extra B330-RX sleeve, so I have three different balls to audition! Thanks again THP you guys rock!

Im a big fan of the Bridgestone B330-RXS. Its a tour level ball thats designed for people with more normal swing speeds. Its a ball that I can get enough spin with to make it check up on the green but I dont really feel that it costs me any distance. In the past, I played the B330 and I felt like it just didnt have the pop to it that some of Bridgestone's cheaper balls had.
Im not really a big fan of any other balls. Other than the AD333, Ive never been a big fan of any Srixon balls (I hated the Z-Star actually), I feel like Titleist is highly overrated.
Ive found a few Taylormade Rocketballz and Lethal balls on the course and they were actually really nice but I refuse to give TM any of my business.

Back