How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

A little hand-held pipe cutter will do the trick if you have one.

Ditto, this is the one I use......from Home Depot I think

IMG_20130521_203935_287_zpsedf74fa0.jpg

JM

evutypy8.jpg

More goodies in the mail today. Can't wait to put these on my cb3's.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Think it is finally time to give this a shot. Luckily I don't need to pull any shafts. Shouldn't be too difficult re-shafting.

The X-Hots (reg not pro), are a bore-through head. See my inquiry a few posts back. I was thinking of doing these as well.
I'll try to find that, I thought I had read through all of them . Shook , did you do yours yet?

I'll try to find that, I thought I had read through all of them . Shook , did you do yours yet?

No, I'm pondering whether to do it at all. From the directions I've read, you'd need to get the shaft all the way in with some of it poking out the bottom of the bore hole. Then you have to grind it so its even with the sole. Then you'll need a bore-hole cap - install it and sand it down so its even with the sole. Sounds like a huge pain so that project is a ways down the road for me...

No, I'm pondering whether to do it at all. From the directions I've read, you'd need to get the shaft all the way in with some of it poking out the bottom of the bore hole. Then you have to grind it so its even with the sole. Then you'll need a bore-hole cap - install it and sand it down so its even with the sole. Sounds like a huge pain so that project is a ways down the road for me...
Shook, in the golf works catalog I see they have BORE-THRU Pins and they fit in the end of the shaft for the bore thru heads and from what I can find so far it appears that you must sand and buff them to finish after installing. I'm very close to giving it a try.

Shook, in the golf works catalog I see they have BORE-THRU Pins and they fit in the end of the shaft for the bore thru heads and from what I can find so far it appears that you must sand and buff them to finish after installing. I'm very close to giving it a try.

Let me know how it goes. Maybe I'll send mine to you to have it done :)

Question - how easily should the ferrules slide on? I'm working on one right now. Its labeled as .370 size - but there's no way it's going to fit on the shaft without pounding it or using tons of lubricant.

Question - how easily should the ferrules slide on? I'm working on one right now. Its labeled as .370 size - but there's no way it's going to fit on the shaft without pounding it or using tons of lubricant.

You have to man handle them a bit. Easiest way I have done it is get them on as far as you can, take the club head you have cleaned all the epoxy out of and then push the ferrule up the shaft to its final position. No epoxy should be used at this point, and when you get it as far with just pushing I usually tap the butt end of the club a couple more times to make sure the shaft is all the way into the club head.

You have to man handle them a bit. Easiest way I have done it is get them on as far as you can, take the club head you have cleaned all the epoxy out of and then push the ferrule up the shaft to its final position. No epoxy should be used at this point, and when you get it as far with just pushing I usually tap the butt end of the club a couple more times to make sure the shaft is all the way into the club head.

You can also heat up a dish of water with a drop of dish soap in it. Take it out of the microwave, drop ferrule in for a minute or two, take out and tap it on with the butt end on the floor as described above. The heated water softens the ferrule and the soap is sort of a lubricant. Just make sure you clean up the prepped part of the shaft before gluing.

Good luck with it.

JM

Not working either...it won't go on more than a millimeter or 2. Even tapping it down with the head. I think I was sent the wrong size...

Not working either...it won't go on more than a millimeter or 2. Even tapping it down with the head. I think I was sent the wrong size...

Hmmm. You either got the wrong size sent or you ordered the wrong ones. Probably the former though. Do you still have the order sheet?

Boiling water for a very short time will do the trick in a pinch.

Hmmm. You either got the wrong size sent or you ordered the wrong ones. Probably the former though. Do you still have the order sheet?

Yep says .370. They might be .350

So I am going to mess around with my 9 iron next weekend and swap out the stock shaft for the new TT XP95 shaft and see how that plays out.
Only one question though, the stock shaft had a small 5gram weight in it that I pulled out. Do I need that weight in the new shaft or is it optional?

So I am going to mess around with my 9 iron next weekend and swap out the stock shaft for the new TT XP95 shaft and see how that plays out.
Only one question though, the stock shaft had a small 5gram weight in it that I pulled out. Do I need that weight in the new shaft or is it optional?

It's to bring the swingweight to a certain place. Due to difference in weight, length, grip, build, etc, it may or may not be the right weight. I've left many jobs without any weights at all. Just recently started swingweighting my builds.

It is optional though. I'd just forget about it.

Boiling water for a very short time will do the trick in a pinch.

Wow, that worked perfectly. About 20 seconds and it was good to go

So GG forgot to trim my iron shaft, but already put the new grip on. Is there a way to get the grip off without ruining it so I can take it off, trim and put it back on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So GG forgot to trim my iron shaft, but already put the new grip on. Is there a way to get the grip off without ruining it so I can take it off, trim and put it back on?

More than likely not

More than likely not

Isn't there some air compressor way to get the grip off to preserve it?

There's a tool. Sorry haven't done it.

Isn't there some air compressor way to get the grip off to preserve it?
I have done it. Attach the tool that is used to inflate basketballs to the compressor. Insert that needle into the hole at the top of the grip. Gently apply air pressure. The grip will need some help - it often breaks the seal on the top inch or two then I need to massage / twist the grip, which lets the air go down further. Continue until the whole grip is loose then - still using air - slide it off.

Now, BIG CAVEAT. Others here have commented that this is dangerous, that the grip can explode, in which case you get rubber projectiles. I believe they have advised against using this technique or keeping some type of tube over the grip to prevent the rubber from flying if it explodes. So proceed with caution.

Ok thanks. Sounds like ordering another grip may be the way to go.

I got my shaft in measured to length, the only issue is that it is .366 tipped and the hosel is a .370. Will this .004 discrepancy have any affect on the epoxy and later playability?

Back