How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm making this thread to help some people, much like I've been helped by other THP'rs. This method has worked very well for me a couple times so far. I've had an issue with a head coming loose, but I learned that it was due to improperly mixing epoxy. I will say a few things up front.

1 - I'm not a club builder.
2 - I may not be doing everything by the book.
3 - I am cheap
4 - I use pulls, which adds and subtracts some steps compared to using raw/new shafts.

Materials:

Heat Gun from Lowes
Pro Fix 5/10 Epoxy
Shafts
Ferrules
Power Drill
Leather gloves or a towel

How to do it:

1) The first thing I do is remove the iron heads from the old shafts. This is pretty simple with the heat gun. It takes a little while until the heat gun gets warmed up. All I do is put the club in my vise and hold the heat gun at high heat against the hosel for a minute or so on the top and bottom. After a couple minutes, either use a towel or wear leather gloves and twist the head off. You can usually knock off a little excess epoxy now as well.

20120917184456-S.jpg
20120917184505-S.jpg

20120917184553-S.jpg
20120917184559-S.jpg

2) At this point, the first few heads you removed should be cooled down enough for you to removed the old epoxy. I use a power drill with a larger bit for this. Sorry, not sure what size or what type of bit. Just a bigger one that fits down into the hosel. Use it to clean against the inner walls of the hosel and down at the base. Some of the dried epoxy will come up with the drill and you can tap out the excess on your work bench.

20120917185703-S.jpg
20120917184609-S.jpg

3) Next, I prep the pulls by scraping off excess/dried epoxy on the tip. It's easiest for me just to use a utility knife for this. Watch your fingers! Since these are pulls, they've already been roughed up and prepped. No need to worry about this. However, you do need to get rid of any dried epoxy that has gone up the tip and into the shaft. I use the same power drill for this. It's pretty cool to watch, because big ribbons of old epoxy come flying out of the tip. I've skipped this step in the past and it makes it very difficult to get the shaft to go down into the head. Lastly, you can put the new ferrules onto the shafts. Don't forget this. It happens!

20120917192927-S.jpg
20120917192933-S.jpg

20120918163827-S.jpg

3) Now comes the messy part. The 5/10 epoxy comes in a dual tube syringe, so you actually activate the epoxy when mixing the contents of both tubes together. The most important thing here is to mix it up really well. I use a popsicle stick. You want this epoxy to be a pearly white color.

20120918163833-S.jpg
20120918163909-S.jpg

4)From here, I dip the tip of the shafts in to epoxy and try to get a good amount up into the tip. Then, just push it down into the shaft. While the epoxy is still loose, the shaft will move around quite a bit, but as it sets you will find the shaft basically staying put once you insert it. If you have to, hold it tight for a few minutes. Now wipe off most of the excess epoxy, but not all of it, and slide the ferrule into place. Make sure your shaft logo is where you want it and set aside to set. This epoxy has a full bond in about 20 minutes. That's all there is to it. Technically you can use the clubs (with this epoxy) within an hour, but I usually wait a day to be safe.

20120918163934-S.jpg
20120918164006-S.jpg

20120918181535-S.jpg

Wow, this is a great thread and thank you very much Hawk. I have read several how-to's and even watched videos, and this is the best I've seen. It's full of laymen's terms and "the easiest way".

Great thread.

That's a nice step by step process right there. Good job Hawk! On average how long are you seeing for the heads to come off the club? I always find a couple that come off with in a minute, others take 3 minutes before the epoxy is loose.

Nice job Hawk. I didn't realize it was this easy.

Tapatalkin

Thank you! I thought I would have to wait until I got a shaft puller to swap out shafts. Do you work with any new shafts? If you do, could you do a step by step with a new shaft? Measuring, cutting, roughing the tip..etc..

Great thread hawk, makes it easy to follow for us laypeople.

• Staff
Thanks guys. I apologize for the mediocre pics, but I sort of had my hands full.

That's a nice step by step process right there. Good job Hawk! On average how long are you seeing for the heads to come off the club? I always find a couple that come off with in a minute, others take 3 minutes before the epoxy is loose.

The first one or two always take at least two minutes, if not more. As soon as the heat gun is blazing they usually only take a minute max.

Thank you! I thought I would have to wait until I got a shaft puller to swap out shafts. Do you work with any new shafts? If you do, could you do a step by step with a new shaft? Measuring, cutting, roughing the tip..etc..

No problem, Canio. Usually, you just need a shaft puller for graphite. I've never done new iron shafts, but maybe I will one of these days. I'm really cheap, so pulls just end up working best for me lol.

Nice job there Hawk! I would not have thought it was this easy either but now I see (luckily) why my local guy only charges $8 per club. This is easily something I could see doing myself.

great thread Hawk, with pics I might be able to to even pull this off lol

Great tutorial on shaft pulling Hawk pictures always help.
Question on the old pulls and the shafts that you are pulling how did you identify which shaft for which club?

Hawk, you said 'usually' you need a shaft puller for graphite. Can you pull graphite shafts without a shaft puller, or should I really wait until I get one? I'm going to try and put a couple of graphite shafts in some irons to try out the graphite shafts. Can you use a little pipe cutter to cut graphite?

This is a GREAT thread!!! Thanks again, Hawk!

I always knew you were a talented guy

great thread Hawk, with pics I might be able to to even pull this off lol

Sure you can dude. The best part is that you can just heat the head, pull it off, and start over if you screw up.

Great tutorial on shaft pulling Hawk pictures always help.
Question on the old pulls and the shafts that you are pulling how did you identify which shaft for which club?

I just line them up on my work bench from shortest to longest. I've labeled them in the past as well, because I once put a 4 iron shaft into a 7 iron. Caught my mistake quickly, but it added time.

Hawk, you said 'usually' you need a shaft puller for graphite. Can you pull graphite shafts without a shaft puller, or should I really wait until I get one? I'm going to try and put a couple of graphite shafts in some irons to try out the graphite shafts. Can you use a little pipe cutter to cut graphite?

This is a GREAT thread!!! Thanks again, Hawk!

I think some people can skip the puller if they are working with the tips on adjustable drivers, but that's about all I've heard about. I honestly know very little about graphite, but I do know that you can cut it with a chop saw very easily. Wish I could help more!

I just line them up on my work bench from shortest to longest. I've labeled them in the past as well, because I once put a 4 iron shaft into a 7 iron. Caught my mistake quickly, but it added time.

Thanks Hawk ^^ this would get one sweating in no time trying to adjust for a incorrect shaft in an Iron.
It would def. throw off the flight of the 7 Iron with a 4 Iron shaft installed.hehe
I enjoyed the tutorial bro.

You are very talented Hawk.

Thanks Frank. It's really just a way for me to drink beer alone in this house. Arranging that requires real talent.

Very nice writeup Hawk. I tried it once and failed miserably. My heatgun stinks and took forever to loosen the head

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for putting this together Hawk. I have a project planned for when the snow flies and this will be helpful.

Well done dude. That was very well written and good pics!

Very nice writeup Hawk. I tried it once and failed miserably. My heatgun stinks and took forever to loosen the head

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure what you are using for a heat gun, but the one I bought was only ~$20. Not too bad considering I've reshafted three times now. It does take a while to get going though.

Thanks, guys. Like I said, I had no clue where to start and I'm sure I'm not the only one. ddec walked me through many of the steps and I sent a lot of dumb question pm's along the way. Hopefully somebody gets a little use out of it.

Back