Tampa golf memberships, input wanted

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
So my wife is going to grad school down in tampa starting in the fall, and I am looking to find an area and/or courses that I would want to look at, possibly even a membership. We are selling our house in Gainesville and stand to walk away with a little bit of cash, and I have the go-ahead to budget some of that towards this endeavor, as we will be on a single income for a couple years or so. She is in a medical program that will, after the first semester, not tie us down to a specific location, as she will be working at and rotating to a number of hospitals. We anticipate wanting to find an apartment somewhere in or between downtown and the westchase area, so that's where my focus is. I've checked out the lay of the land from afar and see a couple of possible options so far. I hear Westchase is a pretty good course, and it would fit in with the budget I anticipate, albeit at the higher end, as I am not one to walk in the warmer months so I would be paying cart fees much of the time. I also like the idea of the TSA course membership that grants access to three courses all within a reasonable drive from our planned destination, with cheap cart fees as well. I am wondering if the difference in cost annually, roughly 2.5k a year for a place like Westchase, or maybe half that to play at the TSA courses would be worth it, or even if there is a course in that same area that might be comparable.

We will be taking a weekend soon to check out some apartments and given that my wife knows she will have an irregular commute, she is OK with me having a preference of what area/neighborhood to live in, as long as it's not Wesley Chapel, or St Pete area, etc. as that could potentially make for some serious drive time for her. Central location is pretty key for us, and access to main access highway would be a plus.

I really look forward to living down there, as the golf scene in Gainesville is downright embarrassing. There are currently 2 courses in town that aren't private or executive, and they are horrible. I was a member at one until recently, but cancelled with our upcoming move on the horizon and not knowing how the home selling would go.

Oh, I would so consider taking on a membership at one of the club corp courses with reciprocal benefits at all four, it's a little on the high end of what I can spend right now, but if they're a significantly better option than any other, I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the TSA card. They have multiple levels. I think the highest one is the tradition card or something like that. I just have the discount card, though I play a TSA course nearly every week. The rates are cheap, and every 13th round is free. All of the TSA courses are walkable. I don't really like Rocky Point, but it has a small driving range and putting green. Babe Zaharias is usually in decent shape for a muni, but they don't have a range. Rogers Park has the best practice facilities by far. The courses are not spectacular, but I enjoy Babe Zaharias and Rogers Park. Rogers Park is in an older, more run down part of town. Sometimes they are in great shape, other times, not so much. Babe is great for walking 9 after work or something.

I live in the Northdale/Carrollwood area. The two courses I could walk to from here are Carrollwood Country Club (private) and Northdale (public). Northdale doesn't have a range. Carrollwood has pretty nice facilities, and has 27 holes, which offers some variety.

Having spent more than 25 years in the Pinellas and Hillsborough area, I can safely say I dont miss golf in Tampa.
There are many options, but much of that will be dependent on the area you will be in. Tampa is a large spread out city.
As to Club Corp, I was a member and had privileges at all 4. I wont ever go back until they fix the pace of play issues that plague three of the 4 because they allow 5somes.

I was also a member at Westchase and the annual pass costs less than $1400 I believe a year.

As for central location, that too, would be very dependent on your activities as the Westchase area could be central or the South Tampa area could be central or even Rocky Point. Each of those locations would drastically change courses that you would want to join.

Univ South Florida's course is challenging for me (8-9 HCP). Current management keeps the course in halfway decent shape, esp greens. But greenside chipping areas are rough (bare). They have a $75/month rate membership and allow walking. I don't know of any reciprocals with other courses. The practice putting green is good, but the rest of the practice areas (reserved for USF golf team) aren't accessible. There is a driving range, but I never use it. I understand the course can be very slow at times. Course can get busy.

Temple Terrace Country Club is very interesting. Played it once. Enjoyed myself. I understand they're redoing all of their greens. Not sure when they'll be open back to regular greens.

RiverHills (Valrico/Brandon) is always advertising membership. I haven't played there for decades. Feathersound (out in Pinellas) also has a membership - I hear that it's a nice course.

Bloomingdale has a membership (Brandon). Gets lots of play. Good layout. Can't vouch for course conditions. Hit or miss. Greens have been good lately.

Never have played the TSA courses. Can't comment on them. Me? I use a lot of Golfnow.com courses along w/ a Big Summer Card - playing a lot down in Bradenton as well. Lots of courses to chose from. Paradise also sells discount card for courses in the area.

If you are in the Westchase area, just go the the Tampa Bay Downs practice facility. They have a decent range, a few chipping/pitching areas with bunkers, and a putting green. That frees you up to play all over the place.

I don't love any of the courses in Tampa that could be considered central, Westchase is pretty decent. If you end up more towards the north Tampa or USF area Temple Terrace is alot if fun if you enjoy more traditional architecture, and there are some decent options In New Tampa. Out here in Brandon there are a couple decent options. I am a member at Buckhorn Springs and love it. It is fully private and has a very reasonably priced junior membership.

Personally I would either go private or skip the membership and enjoy all of the local courses.

Hello there gator. I currently live in Hernando county in Central Florida. Here are some courses that are in southern Pasco County. I'm not sure if these courses are private or public. I have played a few listed. Here are some of the courses you may interested in.

The Eagles Golf Club.

Lake Jovita Golf and country club.

Quail Hollow golf course.

Links of Lake Bernadette.

Fox Hollow golf club.

Saddlebrook Resort.

Hope this helps you out.

All great tracks. Honestly, some of the best courses in the Tampa Bay area are in Hernando County.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Hernando County sure does have some nice courses. World Woods has two excellent tracks and a par 3 course as well. Silverthorn is nice and also Brooksville Golf and C.C. has some very challenging holes.

Some of the area courses offer a 6-month membership when the snowbirders are out of state. Might be something you look into if you want to play a lot of golf on one course. Rates go back up dramatically in October-April when demand is higher.

Some of the area courses offer a 6-month membership when the snowbirders are out of state. Might be something you look into if you want to play a lot of golf on one course. Rates go back up dramatically in October-April when demand is higher.

We have a great thread on that called Summer Memberships.
Especially once you cross the Skyway and the golf is fantastic.
Heck one of them is hosting Ultimate Club Testing this weekend.

Hernando County sure does have some nice courses. World Woods has two excellent tracks and a par 3 course as well. Silverthorn is nice and also Brooksville Golf and C.C. has some very challenging holes.

Southern Hills might be the best course in the entire region.

The OP isn't going to want to drive to Brooksville area if they're living central to the Tampa/Westchase area. Yes, for the odd trip to play- it's relatively easy to get to on the Vet. But for local everyday play, that's a bit of a stretch. There used to be one of those Sunshine golf card things that got super discounts at a lot of courses. There's probably a lot of info out there.

I'm a big fan of the brooksville area courses, but RayG is right, I'm looking to set up home base close to where we live, and the wife is open to anything from Campus/Temple Terrace area to Westchase, as her commute will vary from campus to the downtown medical center to any number of hospitals. I'm looking at Westchase and East Lake Woodlands I think is what the other is called, and Temple Terrace country club, they all look within budget and decent enough. I can't stress enough how bad the golf is up here, so about anything will be a great upgrade for me. I will occasionally wander off for other venues and I do anticipate heading south for a lot of that. Thanks again to all who have contributed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastlake Woodlands is part of the Club Corp 4 courses.
Westchase is a great area, lived there for quite some time, although some dont like the course and its practice facilities leave a bit to be desired. Membership also does not include range balls.
I cant help with Temple Terrace. I am not a fan of the area.

Have you looked into Tampa Palms? Access to downtown is not terrible from there, and it's a good course.

I agree on Southern Hills. It is reasonable and if you are in Westchase it is not a bad commute up the veterans.

Tampa Palms is like a swamp when it rains. Layout is ok. You might want to give Avila a try and see if that's a route you can budget. If under 40, they have a pretty solid deal for members.

Tampa Palms is like a swamp when it rains. Layout is ok. You might want to give Avila a try and see if that's a route you can budget. If under 40, they have a pretty solid deal for members.

Avila is solid, would assume it it pricey though. Was a guest there back in the college years.

Avila is solid, would assume it it pricey though. Was a guest there back in the college years.

Not as pricy as you would think.

What is Avila charging these days? I considered Carrollwood Country Club, but it was fairly expensive and my friends like to move around to a lot ot courses.

When I was a member, the initiation was 2k. There was an annual food minimum of like 900-1000 or something like that a year, and because I was sub 40, a quarterly assessment of 250 until I was 40. At which point, I had the choice of becoming a family member and paying the remaining initiation fee.

If Ieft before then, which I did, I didn't owe the rest obviously.

Cart fee was 18 or so, free to walk. Unlimited range, gym, blah blah blah

I would consider Brandon area also, getting downtown is a breeze thanks to the crosstown, and usf is easy to, you are driving against traffic to get there the majority of the way. If I were choosing for golf New Tampa and Brandon would be at the top of my list, getting down to Bradenton would be easy also, especially from the Brandon area.

Brandon eh? Don't know anything about it, but the commute to everywhere we would need to get to doesn't look too bad if you're close to the crossway and 75. Might have to look into that. Or at least bring it up to the wife.

Back