Ben Hogan's Five Lessons

robmypro

Reaction score
I picked up Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, and I don't care if it was written in the 1950's or not. This is hands down the best book I have read to help me understand the fundamentals. It is also a time machine of sorts, because you get to understand the game from a master, and peek into his world. All I can say is go get it if you haven't already. You will not be disappointed.

I just picked up a copy to replace a lost one. It is a very good source to say the least.

JM

It is a great book, Hogan broke everything down and really put it in laymans terms for everyone. The fundamentals he teaches are brilliant if followed and implemented.

Completely agree.
I keep a copy in my bag just to reference at times

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

It is a great book, Hogan broke everything down and really put it in laymans terms for everyone. The fundamentals he teaches are brilliant if followed and implemented.

What I like about his method is he doesn't say everything needs to be exactly his way. He leaves some room for adjustment, based on your body type, size, etc. And he explains things in a way that helps you visualize how it should feel, if done correctly. I am definitely going over everything right now to see where I need to make corrections. There are a few issues!

Completely agree.
I keep a copy in my bag just to reference at times

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Good idea. I will do that.

I really need to have my parents find my copy back in NJ and send it to me. This book pretty much single handedly took me from being an over 100 player to a mid 90's player in the span of a few months back in college. It has also helped me yet again in the last week, as I found/sometimes continue to find myself smothering the ball at address/impact with my longer clubs. I went back to the grip and address fundamentals, and when I focus and apply Hogan's methods, I hit very good shots yet again. This along with correct alignment will be key in fixing the particularly nasty bout of hooks I've dealt with lately.

I've been meaning to pick one up. I've read excerpts from it and really enjoyed it.

I only own 2 golf books, and this is one of them. I need to go back and re-read it soon, it's been a while.

I only own 2 golf books, and this is one of them. I need to go back and re-read it soon, it's been a while.

This is pretty much the only book I have on golf fundamentals, and I can't think of a reason to have another.

Thanks for the tip it is on the way

I picked up Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, and I don't care if it was written in the 1950's or not. This is hands down the best book I have read to help me understand the fundamentals. It is also a time machine of sorts, because you get to understand the game from a master, and peek into his world. All I can say is go get it if you haven't already. You will not be disappointed.

The gold standard for sure. I was self taught as a teenager and relied on Hogan's book and articles from golf digest for my instruction.

I agree...excellent book. I've re-read it numerous times because as my swing has developed, concepts that have gone over my head through previous times read jump out. Happens every time.

Hogan's Power Golf book is very good too, if you're looking for something else to read. The way I understand it, 5 Lessons was a series of SI articles that were published together, creating that book. Power Golf was his actual instructional book. What's the difference? Obviously, it's a very similar read, with Power Golf providing some more depth to his concepts.

Out of equal parts boredom and curiosity, I starting reading Mr. Hogan's book.

Did I read that right that the waggle is the start of the back swing?

I have always been taught that a one piece takeaway is ideal. Am I misunderstanding something?

It's a neat book, but reading it and thinking I was going to teach myself to swing from the book really screwed me up for awhile. This was like four years ago and I haven't looked at it since. It's cursed as far as I'm concerned.

Well, both now that I think about it, but the book was what I was referring to there lol.

I think that if I can pick up just a tidbit here and there, it is worth the $9 kindle charge. I have seen YouTube explanations of his grip and it's evolution. His grip and mine are not a lot alike. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and concede that his grip is better. I will morph my grip into something more like Mr. Hogan's.

There are a couple things you need to know while reading it. Hogan fought a pull hook his entire career. To mitigate his miss he weakened his grip and made other adjustments in his posture and stance.

Use his grip with a draw swing and you will be playing from the adjacent fairways on the right wondering what went wrong. Use it with a pull hook and you can hit it like Hogan.

All his advice was for HIS swing. A good golf swing has many of the same basic moving parts but instruction needs to be based on what you do not what he did or you can get really messed up.

I think the real value to Hogan's book is the insight he gives into how the parts of the swing work. Every aspect of his swing is deconstructed, and he explains the precise feelings he gets at each step. Regarding his hook issue, I also found that invaluable. By looking at what he did with his grip and stance, he helped me understand the adjustments that are possible to mitigate any natural, unwanted tendencies. I doubt many people have spent as much time as Hogan analyzing and documenting the swing fundamentals.

I am not saying you should throw your swing away and adopt his. But he can teach you about your swing, and you may be able to use something to get better. And let's face it, you can do a lot worse than lessons from Ben Hogan.

I think the real value to Hogan's book is the insight he gives into how the parts of the swing work. Every aspect of his swing is deconstructed, and he explains the precise feelings he gets at each step. Regarding his hook issue, I also found that invaluable. By looking at what he did with his grip and stance, he helped me understand the adjustments that are possible to mitigate any natural, unwanted tendencies. I doubt many people have spent as much time as Hogan analyzing and documenting his swing fundamentals.

I am not saying you should throw your swing away and adopt his. But he can teach you about your swing, and you may be able to use something to get better. And let's face it, you can do a lot worse than lessons from Ben Hogan.

Hogan's swing theory is just that. Hogan's swing theory. There are a lot of good fundamentals in the book. But anybody who believes there is only one way to swing a golf club is wrong. There are some good thoughts in the book, but by no means do I believe that ALL of the ideas are suited for me.

Back