Myrtle Beach Vaca, Golf course suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey everybody, looking for some THP insight on a trip i'll be taking here in a few weeks..

Going out to Myrtle Beach with the G/f in early June for a few days. Post graduation vacation. Looking for suggestions on a golf course to play while we are out there. I know Caledonia is a popular course among THP'ers for obvious reasons, and am looking in to that. Was curious for any local knowledge about courses out there that are a great value or maybe not the most notable, but great tracks none-the-less. Will be stopping in Charleston for a day to see my old roomate, who now works at Turtle Point on Kiawah, and play a round out there, but having been out there a few times before, i'm looking forward to seeing what northern SC has to offer.

Also, any other suggestion for entertainment, dining would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks!

Moved to Course Review Section.
Look up at the banner above.
Get a gift card for playing what many consider the finest in the entire area.

Moved to Course Review Section.
Look up at the banner above.
Get a gift card for playing what many consider the finest in the entire area.

Thanks, Caledonia is at or near the top of my list, but tee times are pretty scarce for the day/times i'm looking at. The gift card is a definite perk, any and all discounts help a recent grad haha!

Myrtle Beach Vaca, Golf course suggestions?

The first ever golf course I played was Waterway Hills. I remember it being a fun course that was inexpensive. You can find good rates for it online. It is one of the two Robert Trent Jones designed courses in MB.

IIRC Canadan just played a few courses in MB and the surrounding SC and NC area. You may want to drop him a line to see what courses are currently up to snuff and which ones to avoid. I haven't played many besides Prestwick lately and right now it is wickedly expensive.

Thanks for the heads up. Prestwick CC actually has pretty decent green fees late in the week in in early June. Going to seriously look in to that.

Last edited:
The Thistle is a great track. My favorite however are the courses at Barefoot Landing. They have the Fazio, Love and Norman course. I personally loved the Love course. Played it from the platinum tees and it played around 7400 yards. Def get your moneys worth. Have fun

Myrtlewood (2 courses - Pines & Palmetto?) and Possum Trot are pretty nice and always seem to be in good shape. They are reasonably priced as well. I played WaterWay Hills a lot when first going to MB but it has not been that great the last few times I played. If it's wet forget about it! Also kind of annoying to lug your bag across the Intercoastal WW via cable car but no biggie I guess.

Thanks for the heads up. Prestwick CC actually has pretty decent green fees in early late in the week in in early June. Going to seriously look in to that.

Prestwick is a good course, it's got some nice challenging holes to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Myrtle is one of my favorite golf venues just for the sheer number of good courses. I go at least once per year. Here are some of my favorites: Caledonia, of course, is my number 1. Also good on the South end are True Blue, Heritage and Prestwick. In no particular order, Wild Wing Avocet, Kings North at Myrtle Beach National, Long Bay Club (one of the best Nicklaus courses I've ever played), and The Legends (3 courses). Further North are Barefoot - Love, and Thistle.

Myrtle is one of my favorite golf venues just for the sheer number of good courses. I go at least once per year. Here are some of my favorites: Caledonia, of course, is my number 1. Also good on the South end are True Blue, Heritage and Prestwick. In no particular order, Wild Wing Avocet, Kings North at Myrtle Beach National, Long Bay Club (one of the best Nicklaus courses I've ever played), and The Legends (3 courses). Further North are Barefoot - Love, and Thistle.

Great list right there

What does everyone think of the Legend's courses? The Moorland course looks like it would be quite the challenge.

What does everyone think of the Legend's courses? The Moorland course looks like it would be quite the challenge.
Moorland is their signature course, and yes, is the most challenging. But the other two are also good, and worth a play.

These are some great suggestions, and a few courses I hadn't come across while looking. Wild Wing and the Long Bay club look like fun tracks. King's North as well. For your money, what would you rate as the most picturesque, you know, just in case the swing and I aren't in agreement that day? Ha.

There are so many great courses there it's not funny. Obviously the True Blue/Caledonia are 2 of the best, the Jones course at Sea Trail Plantation is fantastic, The Thistle is challenging and beautiful, Long Bay and Tidewater are awesome but I think Tidewater jus lost some greens, Barefoot resort is absolutely wonderful, the Dye course is one of the best I've ever played, the Love course is spectacular as well, Legends is really fun, 3 courses that represent 3 great styles of golf and Mooreland and Parkland both give even the best golfers a great test, TPC is a great course and the clubhouse and staff are really nice, The Heritage club In Pawleys right behind True Blue and next to Caledonia is a really fun course that tests every aspect of your game, Pawleys Plantation is brilliant! it's down a mile or so from the entrance to True blue on the left and that course is just damned mean lol, the greens are fast and the course will truly test your skills as a golfer, it's fun though. Also Grande dunes is really nice too, in the top 10 there for sure.

Have fun, there are so many good courses there it's almost impossible to remember them lol.

Food? it depends on what you like. Nakato Japanese restaurant is one of the oldest in the area but is really good, next door to it is one of the best Mexican restaurants in town called Margaritas, it's inexpensive and just good, Benito's Italian in North MB is great, the Pizza is wonderful and the fried calamari is to die for, T-Bonz has pretty good wings and they have a couple locations, one in Barefoot landing and one at Broadway at the beach, the double fried hot are pretty stellar, Flynn's Irish tavern on main st in North myrtle has great fish and chips, the fries are fresh cut, Mrs. Fish is some of the best fried seafood I've ever had, it's tucked away in down town myrtle and you have to ask or search for it to find it, don't get it confused with Mr fish which is disappointing, mrs fish is a must eat if you love fried shrimp and fresh cut fries lol, the best. River city café has a few locations and has pretty good burgers too, there are many chains there and you'll be able to find anything, what I listed are just some of my wife and I's favorites from when we lived there.

Eat well, play well and have fun!

There are so many great courses there it's not funny. Obviously the True Blue/Caledonia are 2 of the best, the Jones course at Sea Trail Plantation is fantastic, The Thistle is challenging and beautiful, Long Bay and Tidewater are awesome but I think Tidewater jus lost some greens, Barefoot resort is absolutely wonderful, the Dye course is one of the best I've ever played, the Love course is spectacular as well, Legends is really fun, 3 courses that represent 3 great styles of golf and Mooreland and Parkland both give even the best golfers a great test, TPC is a great course and the clubhouse and staff are really nice, The Heritage club In Pawleys right behind True Blue and next to Caledonia is a really fun course that tests every aspect of your game, Pawleys Plantation is brilliant! it's down a mile or so from the entrance to True blue on the left and that course is just damned mean lol, the greens are fast and the course will truly test your skills as a golfer, it's fun though. Also Grande dunes is really nice too, in the top 10 there for sure.

Have fun, there are so many good courses there it's almost impossible to remember them lol.

Food? it depends on what you like. Nakato Japanese restaurant is one of the oldest in the area but is really good, next door to it is one of the best Mexican restaurants in town called Margaritas, it's inexpensive and just good, Benito's Italian in North MB is great, the Pizza is wonderful and the fried calamari is to die for, T-Bonz has pretty good wings and they have a couple locations, one in Barefoot landing and one at Broadway at the beach, the double fried hot are pretty stellar, Flynn's Irish tavern on main st in North myrtle has great fish and chips, the fries are fresh cut, Mrs. Fish is some of the best fried seafood I've ever had, it's tucked away in down town myrtle and you have to ask or search for it to find it, don't get it confused with Mr fish which is disappointing, mrs fish is a must eat if you love fried shrimp and fresh cut fries lol, the best. River city café has a few locations and has pretty good burgers too, there are many chains there and you'll be able to find anything, what I listed are just some of my wife and I's favorites from when we lived there.

Eat well, play well and have fun!

Wow, lot's of information! I really appreciate it and will take it all in to consideration!

I live in Little River right next to No. Myrtle Beach, send me a PM and I'll give you the local info you need.

I live in Little River right next to No. Myrtle Beach, send me a PM and I'll give you the local info you need.

Crab Catchers!

Where are you staying? Thats a big help. If up in the good part of Myrtle, Crow creek, either Glen courses, Farmstead is a fun on and just to many to list. I would take the mans post above and PM him, he can point you in a good direction, most important good food.

Crab Catchers!

Where are you staying? Thats a big help. If up in the good part of Myrtle, Crow creek, either Glen courses, Farmstead is a fun on and just to many to list. I would take the mans post above and PM him, he can point you in a good direction, most important good food.

Carolinian Beach Resort. I believe it's right at about the midway point in Myrtle.

Sticky fingers. I bet they still have the coupon for a free dish of peach cobbler with your dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played three of the Legends courses last September when my brother turned 40. We started at Oyster Bay (about 45 minutes north of MB), then Heathland, and finally Moorland. I personally enjoyed the Moorland course best, probably because I played my best golf there. All three of them were in great shape when we were there, but they were also pretty crowded, as most MB course are that time of year. I don't recall the exact pricing, but it was pretty reasonable.

I just got back from a trip there last month, http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?57361-10-Day-Myrtle-Beach-Trip played a bunch of courses. None of the higher priced ones though. Overall were all great courses except Rivers Edge and Brunswick. I would play Glen Dornoch, was a great course with great finishing holes, I will be playing that one again next time I go back and hoping for better weather that day.

definitely looking at Moorland for one of the days. not sure if i'll want to drive 45 minutes to play it though, with so many other great places to play near by.

I just got back from a trip there last month, http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?57361-10-Day-Myrtle-Beach-Trip played a bunch of courses. None of the higher priced ones though. Overall were all great courses except Rivers Edge and Brunswick. I would play Glen Dornoch, was a great course with great finishing holes, I will be playing that one again next time I go back and hoping for better weather that day.

Sounded like a great trip! Moorland is looking like a must play.

Back