Ball In Unfixed Divot

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I came across this while playing this past weekend in the Love Is In the Air event. I had an opportunity to go for a par 5 in 2, but decided against it due to hazards and hills and everything else. Instead I hit a 3/4 8 iron up the fairway to a 115 yard position where I would have had a great shot at the green and possibly birdie.

Instead I got there and the ball was in a fairly deep divot (about half the ball was under) that hadn't been previously repaired. I ended up trying to go after it and made an even bigger hole and putting it in the hazard. Yes I filled the hole up so no one else would have the issue with that spot.

Thinking about it on the plan ride home I was trying to figure out what would have been the best way to go about hitting that shot. I wish I would have taken a picture. The only options I came up with were pitching out of it 15 yards or so OR choking up on 1 extra club and trying to come down on the ball itself.

I'm just wondering what everyone else would have done. What are your experiences with this type of lie? Any good things ever come out of it?

Divots are never fun, especially unfilled ones. Depending on how bad the lie is, a smooth swing, similar to a fairway bunker would be the way I would go about playing the shot. Maybe move the ball more in the back of the stance to try and prevent hitting it fat.

I don't know if i have been in a divot that deep before but i generally take a club extra and swing easier

And shame on who ever left it i hope it was not another THPer

Where in the divot was the ball? Front or back and was it centered side to side. If I could get to the back of the ball I'm going at it steep, just have to make sure to hit the ball first. If I couldn't get to the ball it is just a chuck and hope maybe to run it up if there were no hazards between.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Usually the rule of thumb is the ball a little back in your stance, take an extra club, firm up the wrists, and take a punch shot like swing.

I thought you were going to mention the gigantic divot I took from the rough on one of those holes where our drives were both in the trees. I emptied an entire sand bottle into it. I was going to say "Hey man, I tried my best!"

For me, I would probably have done exactly what you did. However, if it had happened to me recently, I would have moved it out of the divot, penalty stroke or no penalty stroke. That's a wrist injury waiting to happen.

I just focus on making contact with the ball, much the same as I would from a bad lie anywhere. It's a pretty rare occurrence, and just part of the game.

haha....i know you did your best to fill all those holes up. I commend you on your expertise!

I thought you were going to mention the gigantic divot I took from the rough on one of those holes where our drives were both in the trees. I emptied an entire sand bottle into it. I was going to say "Hey man, I tried my best!"

For me, I would probably have done exactly what you did. However, if it had happened to me recently, I would have moved it out of the divot, penalty stroke or no penalty stroke. That's a wrist injury waiting to happen.

Was sitting right in the middle....staring at me, daring me to try and hit it :)

Where in the divot was the ball? Front or back and was it centered side to side. If I could get to the back of the ball I'm going at it steep, just have to make sure to hit the ball first. If I couldn't get to the ball it is just a chuck and hope maybe to run it up if there were no hazards between.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Usually the rule of thumb is the ball a little back in your stance, take an extra club, firm up the wrists, and take a punch shot like swing.

This is my usual play as well.

haha....i know you did your best to fill all those holes up. I commend you on your expertise!

The real question is "How long will the sod from Golf4Life's divot stay up in that tree on the number 4 tee?"

I would have moved it out of the divot, penalty stroke or no penalty stroke. That's a wrist injury waiting to happen.

Very good point since this is not our living no need to risk injury

Here's what I do for divot hitting....

1. Set up with the ball positioned farther back in your stance than normal, center of stance or back of center depending on what your normal setup is. Take one club more than you would typically use from this distance (e.g., take 6-iron if you'd normally use a 7-iron), but choke down a little. 2. Put a little more weight on your front foot and keep your hands ahead of the ball. Use a forward press (shaft leaning slightly forward, ahead of the ball) if that helps you get your hands in front of the ball.
3. Now make your swing, and this setup position should help you hit down on the ball with a steep angle of attack. (If you have trouble achieving a steep angle of attack, try cocking your wrists early in the backswing.) Make sure to contact the ball first. Stay down through the ball - no peeking! - and take a full follow-through. The ball will typically come out on a lower trajectory and roll out more.

OK, I'll be honest. Take it out of the effing divot hole. Then cuss whoever left it there.

I'm a fan of invoking winter rules in such a situation. You could also train a falcon to, upon command, fly and take the ball and move it a few feet. No one will know that you commanded the falcon to do that.

~Rock

Seems like a perfect shoe wedge to a greener spot to me.

OK, I'll be honest. Take it out of the effing divot hole. Then cuss whoever left it there.

It does not work that way with all locations. While I have no issue pulling it out or letting someone pull it out, you must remember that not all places replace divots and most of FL is like that. You sand them for even lie, but you never replace the grass.

I'm pulling it out. If I pay for golf, I'm not hitting out of a divot. I wouldn't expect an opponent or another group member to play it out of there either.

I know it's against the rules, but I'm with Smallville. I don't think someone should be penalized for hitting the fairway.

Most rounds are casual and with friends (so pull it out). If in a tournament situation though, just concentrate on hitting ball first like a fairway bunker.

I'm always just playing with friends anyways so we just pull it out of the divot.

I don't find playing from divots that a big a deal to be honest (although obviously I'd prefer not to, and I've certainly never played from a divot as deep as the op). Hit down on the ball and the divot won't be an issue.

Move the ball back in the stance and create a steeper arc, then create a low follow through....basically a punch shot

Yeah JB told me afterwards I should have taken it out but I like to play it as it is. :)

We sand them here too. If they are sanded they will fill in pretty quick. Courses, the USGA and the PGA should put a focus on educating people how important it is to sand a divot. And don't get me started on ball marks on greens, I am shocked at how many golfers do not know the proper way to fix a ball mark. Our greens keeper told me he would rather someone not fix a ball mark than to fix it incorrectly, when go digging and pulling the roots it takes at least 7 days for it to repair itself, fix it right and its good in one day, sorry for the rant

It does not work that way with all locations. While I have no issue pulling it out or letting someone pull it out, you must remember that not all places replace divots and most of FL is like that. You sand them for even lie, but you never replace the grass.

Back