TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

So the question is... Can this be a decent (read: somewhat playable) option for me off the tee. I know I would not hit it from the deck, but would this be something that could be a decent option in a mid loft (perhaps 14*) that it would give me an option if I wasnt able to get it clicking with the driver?

I haven't been able to get it clicking with the driver for a couple weeks but when I bought this last week all of a sudden it does not matter. I got the 12* in stiff and I just love it. With a good swing it's really only 15 yards or so short of where the driver is supposed to finish.

I'm working on my swing right now and I'm struggling with the long stick. Recently it has got to the point where I don't want to play they game as much till I get it sorted out on the range. I have been hitting over 200 balls per day the last few weeks and it was really starting to get frustrating because the rest of my game is better than ever.

Then in the middle of last week I was reading about the Xhot 2 deep on here and thought that might be a viable option to get me through this slump. I already had the 3deep from last year and that is what I was getting off the tee with during this recent driver slump. After trying the 2deep they suggested I try the SLDR mini in 12* and I never looked back. Last time out I shot a new personal best (83) on a challenging Tom Fazio course on a windy day.

This is just so much easier to swing than the driver for me it turned out to be the prefect alternative. I would think it would have the potential to work the same way for others.

So the question is... Can this be a decent (read: somewhat playable) option for me off the tee. I know I would not hit it from the deck, but would this be something that could be a decent option in a mid loft (perhaps 14*) that it would give me an option if I wasnt able to get it clicking with the driver?

I'm in the same position after trying it. I wouldnt hit it from the fairway, but I would hit it from the tee. The club I think gives an option outside driver which has a confident head size that delivers the same feeling as driver. I think, as with any club, its on a case by case basis for people, but if you're looking for an alternative to your driver that gives you a similar feel but different length option off the tee that may be suited to shoter holes, or holes with a change in direction where you want to hit to a certain area I think this club is a very good option. Its also good for people that just dont feel confident with a driver but do with a 3w or even hybrid.

But but but... Taylormade says this is a 3wood replacement.

I ordered a 14* version will be here Thursday, hoping to get some practice with it Friday as I have a 2 day tournament this weekend. I have a 3w that is 14* turned down to 12.5* R11s this will be replacing. I don't hit it well off the deck, well I do but it's just a big fade, I absolutely have to have 100% concentration and good lie to hit it straight or draw off the deck, so it's really only ever been for tee shots. The Mini will be alternate tee club as I hit my current 3w well off the tee, I just wanted that taller face so I can tee the ball a little higher and get a little more aggressive with the tee shot. I'm hoping this fills that role. I'm a little concerned with these coming with the lighter shafts, my current shaft in the 3w is 80g I believe.

But but but... Taylormade says this is a 3wood replacement.

They say that but it seems like 12* would be a pretty strong 3wood wouldn't it?

I hope that light weight shaft works out for you because this thing has been awesome to me.

They say that but it seems like 12* would be a pretty strong 3wood wouldn't it?

14° seems like a pretty weak driver....

Options are fun. Nothing wrong with as many as possible.

Weak indeed especially with the shorter shaft, that's why I'm so surprised how much this outperforms my previous 3wood off the tee, which is where I primarily use it. It's funny because I have a fairly high lofted driver (10.5) and then this thing in 12* and I would think there would be a huge gap between the two but there just isn't for me at this point. Like you said options are a good thing and they definitely helped me find a club that could go between my 23* hybo and my driver. Previous to this club I would carry my 3 the same distance as the hybo but with lower trajectory there was more rollout. Currently I have the hybo to carry 200, the mini to carry 220 and the driver to carry 235ish and I'm am very happy with this setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've pondered a setup with multiple hybrids

I should have had you hit my sldr hybrid while we were in Florida. Totally slipped my mind.

Hitting a 12 degree 3wood can be very hard, if not fitted for the right shaft u would suggest going with the 14 degree version unless you have a very fast swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitting a 12 degree 3wood can be very hard, if not fitted for the right shaft u would suggest going with the 14 degree version unless you have a very fast swing speed.

Definitely agree. The 14d I hit in the mini was effective I think because I was able to take some swing speed off it and let the club do the work, get it up and roll out. I feel like a 12 I'd have to work more like a driver, which isnt what I want from this club.

After listening to the live chat today about hitting it off the deck, I need to try that ASAP!!!

After listening to the live chat today about hitting it off the deck, I need to try that ASAP!!!

Tried this at my fitting yesterday.... It can be done

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Tried this at my fitting yesterday.... It can be done

would you be able to talk about your experience with the Mini in this thread?

would you be able to talk about your experience with the Mini in this thread?
Agreed, I want to hear more.

Overall I did like the Mini but we determined for me it wasn't the ideal fit. Even the fitters yesterday said it was still meant as a tee shot replacement. I was curious so it both off the tee and fairway. Off the tee the ball flight was really high with the stock shaft and was really easy to hit. It reminded me a lot of the Stage 2 in terms of feel and sound with the more hollow feel.

As mentioned, off the ground it can be done but it is iffy if you don't put a good swing on it IMO.

For one that has trouble hitting the shallower 3 wood and uses their 3 wood for tee shots mostly I honestly feel this is a no brainer. It is very easy to hit and it doesn't really feel like all the other SLDR products. If you still have a chance to hit it into long par 4s or a Par 5 in two I think you would be better to go with the SLDR or the S series

Overall I did like the Mini but we determined for me it wasn't the ideal fit. Even the fitters yesterday said it was still meant as a tee shot replacement. I was curious so it both off the tee and fairway. Off the tee the ball flight was really high with the stock shaft and was really easy to hit. It reminded me a lot of the Stage 2 in terms of feel and sound with the more hollow feel.

As mentioned, off the ground it can be done but it is iffy if you don't put a good swing on it IMO.

For one that has trouble hitting the shallower 3 wood and uses their 3 wood for tee shots mostly I honestly feel this is a no brainer. It is very easy to hit and it doesn't really feel like all the other SLDR products. If you still have a chance to hit it into long par 4s or a Par 5 in two I think you would be better to go with the SLDR or the S series

Great feedback dude, thank you.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

#DriverReplacement

Great feedback dude, thank you.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

#DriverReplacement

Are you thinking of going with this over the SLDR by itself, or going the combo route?

Are you thinking of going with this over the SLDR by itself, or going the combo route?
Would go a combo route, unless I can find one of these and hit it and see some legit results before we send in our setups.

Went and hit a couple different versions this morning, 14* in stiff and 12* TP Xstiff as they didn't have 12* in regular version in stiff. I use a heavier weight shaft in my current 3w around 80g, TP today was 70g, regular version is 54g. Ball speed was lower with the TP shaft because of the weight, but overall I hit the 12* the best. On the Trackman I was consistently 260, with some approaching 270 with the 12 with about 13* launch, spin around 3500, ball speed around 142-145mph. 14* ball speed was closer to 148-150mph, launch was 15-16* with spin right around 3900. All were straight shots down the middle which was nice. Probably left a little on the table as I was in my slides and feet were moving all over the place. Off the mat the results weren't as great, I was closing the face too much, but this could have been due to a standard size grip and rotating my hands more then I would with a mid size grip. I ordered a 14* yesterday in stiff, may have to rethink that decision, based on today's results on the Trackman. I wish they would have had a 14 in TP to try out. May have to search the bay for some different shafts to try out in the 14. Kinda wish I would have waited to order before ordering blind but didn't have the time to test it first.

After haveing TM answer my question about how easy these are to hit off the deck i am in serious ponder mode

After haveing TM answer my question about how easy these are to hit off the deck i am in serious ponder mode

Honest question for you. What did you expect them to say?

Back