Help a beginner out with some Shaft questions (mizuno shaft analyzer inside)

Infoe

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm at Golf Galaxy testing out the ap2 and mp-54 (I currently game ap1 with xp95 stock shaft) I know and feel like my current stock shaft is light for me.

1. with my recommended shaft weight, how is my current shaft weight affecting me- if at all?
2. What other information besides the recommended shaft can I gather from the shaft analyzer?
3. If you have gamed the top two recommended shafts, which one do you prefer and why?
4. I should use google for this one but while the above question is feel and opinion..what are the factual differences between the top two recommended shafts?
5. within the characteristics of the top recommended shafts is there a top tier or substitute to those? I understand the analyzer is a good starting point and not the end all this is why I come to you gurus. Is there a better alternative?

I will say that I was able to try the ap2 with the stock shaft of the dynamic gold s300 and the rep told me it was about 120~ grams and it did feel heavy (noticeably as I walked in with my 6i on a 95g shaft) and I did not like it that heavy.

I did hit the mp54 with the dynalite xp gold (#1 recommended shaft by the analyzer) and the weight of the shaft/club felt good...I also made more solid/pure strikes with the mp54 than I did with the ap2 using the heavier shaft...which threw me off because I thought I would like the ap2 over the mp54. i was hoping to game the 4i maybe 5i in ap1 and then ap2 for the 6-w1 (I'm lefty so not all the mizuno options can I game)

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
What made you decide on those iron heads as a beignner?

not a beginner to the game...beginner to shaft choices/shaft information. Sorry

I play twice a week and practice every day...I want to grow into a more player style iron.

Why do you believe your shafts are too light? Did I miss that.

What problems are you having? I mean what is happening that makes you think your shafts aren't right? How do you hit your current ones? That may help someone on here steer you in the right direction.

The extra weight of the shafts might help your tempo a bit i change from 80 gram shafts to 130 grams a few years ago now the lighter weight feels funny they will take some time to get use to

What problems are you having? I mean what is happening that makes you think your shafts aren't right? How do you hit your current ones? That may help someone on here steer you in the right direction.

I understand the "want" or the reason you ask me...it's kind of like tell me what is wrong so I can tell you how to fix it. I get it. what my #1 question is for is because this is one of those questions where " I dont know...what I don't know"

I can hit my clubs fine...although they do feel light. If just being light does not affect me any than that is ok I will leave as is...I'm just trying to understand the dynamic more.

I understand the "want" or the reason you ask me...it's kind of like tell me what is wrong so I can tell you how to fix it. I get it. what my #1 question is for is because this is one of those questions where " I dont know...what I don't know"

I can hit my clubs fine...although they do feel light. If just being light does not affect me any than that is ok I will leave as is...I'm just trying to understand the dynamic more.

Gotcha, I think you may have answered you own question brotha. If you're hitting your current irons fine I'd leave them. Don't try to fix what isn't broken

Gotcha, I think you may have answered you own question brotha. If you're hitting your current irons fine I'd leave them. Don't try to fix what isn't broken

thanks for your input, however that does not really answer the questions...I know my post is long winded but I am trying to gather more information/knowledge. I do feel that a heavier shaft would maybe help me with my tempo...that seems to be why the analyzer is putting me on a shaft 20+ grams heavier than where I currently am.

Which two shafts are you questioning the differences in? Sorry you mentioned XP95, S300, then XP (which I'm assuming is the 105).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thanks for your input, however that does not really answer the questions...I know my post is long winded but I am trying to gather more information/knowledge. I do feel that a heavier shaft would maybe help me with my tempo...that seems to be why the analyzer is putting me on a shaft 20+ grams heavier than where I currently am.

I, and this is just me, use heavier shafts (130g C-Taper). I used to like lighter shafts due to being able to swing a bit faster, but I've found heavier shafts are more consistent (for me) because I can really feel them staying on plane.

Which two shafts are you questioning the differences in? Sorry you mentioned XP95, S300, then XP (which I'm assuming is the 105).

I'm relatively new to forum so I attached the pic of my mizuno shaft optimizer...I guess since you are on mobile you couldn't see the pic.

it's the
dynalite gold xp s-300 117 grams
ns pro 1150 s 116 grams
and kbs stiff 120g

not a beginner to the game...beginner to shaft choices/shaft information. Sorry

I play twice a week and practice every day...I want to grow into a more player style iron.

I have played golf for 30 plus years and some of the best golf I played was with a set of game improvement irons, R11s. They have thicker top line and sole but there wasn't a shot I could play. I'm still playing irons with a good bit of forgiveness.

I tell you this because the best in the world make their gear work for them. Some have players, GI and even SGI in their bag. You don't need, I stress need, play type irons to reach your full potential. That being said, play what you want but with so many great options on the market I would be exhausting all options before settling.

I have played golf for 30 plus years and some of the best golf I played was with a set of game improvement irons, R11s. They have thicker top line and sole but there wasn't a shot I could play. I'm still playing irons with a good bit of forgiveness.

I tell you this because the best in the world make their gear work for them. Some have players, GI and even SGI in their bag. You don't need, I stress need, play type irons to reach your full potential. That being said, play what you want but with so many great options on the market I would be exhausting all options before settling.

Thank you...the point of this thread is not necessarily that I definitely want to switch out of my clubs. I may stay with my clubs but just go for heavier shaft so I'm trying to understand. I know when I hit the dynalite gold xp s-300 on the mizuno mp54 the shaft/club weight felt great. Made my club felt a bit light..so I'm wondering if I should just buy a set of those shafts and reshaft my irons before I dive into new clubs...I've never reshafted any of my clubs before so It's information I come for.

I'm relatively new to forum so I attached the pic of my mizuno shaft optimizer...I guess since you are on mobile you couldn't see the pic.

it's the
dynalite gold xp s-300 117 grams
ns pro 1150 s 116 grams
and kbs stiff 120g

Sorry. I saw the pic, but just couldn't figure out which ones you were trying to compare.

Have not hit the Pro 1150's, but find the KBS and the S300's to be quite different outside of similar weights.

Thank you...the point of this thread is not necessarily that I definitely want to switch out of my clubs. I may stay with my clubs but just go for heavier shaft so I'm trying to understand. I know when I hit the dynalite gold xp s-300 on the mizuno mp54 the shaft/club weight felt great. Made my club felt a bit light..so I'm wondering if I should just buy a set of those shafts and reshaft my irons before I dive into new clubs...I've never reshafted any of my clubs before so It's information I come for.

What benefit are looking in the long run? Heavier may be the answer but until you spend some long term with them you won't know for sure. I'd get a couple 6i with different shafts and head to the range. Let the results you see and feel be the determining factor in your final choice.

I, and this is just me, use heavier shafts (130g C-Taper). I used to like lighter shafts due to being able to swing a bit faster, but I've found heavier shafts are more consistent (for me) because I can really feel them staying on plane.

Shook nailed it, I found that moving to a heavier shaft smoothed out my tempo. Now I hit higher quality shots with (what seems to be) less effort. Timing is better, the swing unwinds from the ground up naturally.

Try to find a demo 6 or 7 iron with one of the shafts the optimizer suggested (Ebay is great for this), or check to see if your local friendly dealer can set you up. And make sure to hit the course & try some shots with the balls you normally play.

I'm in the Nippon camp after years with TT's and a short fling with KBS's. YMMV.

How do people "try" multiple shafts out on the course?

Is the dynalite gold xp readily available for purchase because i see no mention of it on true temper.

Lastly isi t ok to reshaft irons? I know you have to heat up head till glue gives. Is this a common practice that any store should be able to get right? Is it ok to do it as many times as necessary?

Or is it better to try and order the clubs with the shaft that i want

i just noticed the ns1150 is not a supported shaft on the ap1. Does that mean i would not be able to use that shaft?

Last edited:

Is the dynalite gold xp readily available for purchase because i see no mention of it on true temper.

Lastly isi t ok to reshaft irons? I know you have to heat up head till glue gives. Is this a common practice that any store should be able to get right? Is it ok to do it as many times as necessary?

i just noticed the ns1150 is not a supported shaft on the ap1. Does that mean i would not be able to use that shaft?

Its going to get expensive man. Thats why I was suggesting you dont change anything if you dont need. Ive seen $8 a club or more and that's not including the shaft price.

Its going to get expensive man. Thats why I was suggesting you dont change anything if you dont need. Ive seen $8 a club or more and that's not including the shaft price.

I looked at reshafting a set of irons a couple years back and decided to just get new irons. I may have gone the other way had I had any confidence in doing it myself. Don't forget you're in for grips too. Gets expensive fast.

You have a second club made up with the shaft you wish to try. If you're most confident with your 7 iron, have a second 7 iron made up. Go to your preferred yardage with that club & hit two balls, one with each club. Don't try to kill it, put your normal swing on it. Examine & evaluate results.

Is the dynalite gold xp readily available for purchase because i see no mention of it on true temper. Yes.

Yes, it's fine to reshaft;

It's a common practice, you would think that most golf stores could get it right. Some can't put grips on straight. Talk to the individual that handles club repairs, if you a get a warm & fuzzy afterwards, go for it. If not, try another shop.

Extremely important: Take the print out from the optimizer.

Or is it better to try and order the clubs with the shaft that i want You'll pay the full monte if you order individual clubs from the mfr. I'd go searching for used individual irons & pay to reshaft. A good fitter / clubmaker will make sure the club is 100% correct before he hands it back to you.

You can use it. It's just not available from Titleist as an option direct from them.

Got your heart set on the AP's don't you? Nice club.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Here's a thread that might be helpful:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36288

Back