TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Just out of interest... I really thought this is something that would be subject to forum testing to spur debate... bit surprised TM hasn't offered a few around!
They do pretty good getting THP to forum test most of their products, I think with this fitting to a smaller audience they probably didn't feel it was necessary. Don't know. I can say it was one of the few clubs the last year since I heard it was being introduced that I was excited about trying as one who uses a strong 3w now.

While I hit the 2-Deep a little better than the 12° mini (I personally think the stock shaft in the 2-Deep fits me much better than the stock shaft in the mini) I think there is a market for a club like this. The summer of 2012 I played a Tour Edge Exotics XCG-5, 3++ wood at 11.5° as my driver. My handicap dropped two points over those 5 months. I would probably still be using it if it had a little deeper face. One other factor to consider is how difficult it is to get the swing weight back to standard when cutting it down to 43.5". I would like to try the mini in 14° and regular flex shaft.

I think people see 14* & 16* lofts on this driver and just assume they wont go as far. Interesting that I hit the 14* SLDR further than the 10.5*, all because of the launch angle I was getting.

But but but lower loft means more distance.

I think people see 14* & 16* lofts on this driver and just assume they wont go as far. Interesting that I hit the 14* SLDR further than the 10.5*, all because of the launch angle I was getting.

WE why do you suppose you were getting a better launch with the 14°?

But but but lower loft means more distance.

Well, only if you go and put something like, I dunno, a black tie shaft in it or something.

Is there a low spin, low torque regular flex shaft in the 65 gram range?

Well, only if you go and put something like, I dunno, a black tie shaft in it or something.

Hahaha.

My SLDR is at 12°.

With a 15° 3w and my driver at my loft I am seeing the same yardages / gaps as I did last year with a lower lofted driver.

Is there a low spin, low torque regular flex shaft in the 65 gram range?

Black tie. BiMatrix. Ummmm.... I'm out of ideas

Still wanting to hit this. Weekend is open lets do this.

Still wanting to hit this. Weekend is open lets do this.

Going to try and do the same myself. Borrow it again, get some photos and if possible (and have someone playing with me to do it) some video of it for people.

I've got not doubt it will be veto'd by the wife but can still enjoy someone elses haha.

I found this to be a replacement for my strong 3w. Much easier to hit than the J40 and much easier to hit than my SLDR 4w. I understand the debate but I really found this club easy to hit. Much easier than I expected and easier than the 3 deep or 2i I have. What I found is when I have my holes that need a 3w or something off the tee this is replacing my current club. On holes where I don't have to worry about accuracy as much my driver comes out.

I've hit the sldr line (minus the s) and found them tough to hit. The driver I finally found a good combo and this Mini has been nothing but good to me. Its not for everyone and I don't plan on hitting off the deck.

I just think that there is the expectation this is as hard to hit as the sldr woods or harder to hit than the driver and I'm not seeing that so far. Its easier than my driver and a bit more accurate.

For Dan

If it gains me distance off the tee over a 3W, and is similar (or easier) to hit, then I dont see why it wont be in the bag for me.

If it gains me distance off the tee over a 3W, and is similar (or easier) to hit, then I dont see why it wont be in the bag for me.

I thought it was easier to hit than any 3w off the tee I've teed up over the last fee years. Off the deck not at all but I don't plan on it.

Distance wise I'm longer but its not mind blowing. Enough to warrant a change though. Accurate too.

I'm thinking a slightly heavier stock shaft would've been cool but its not a huge deal. Off center strikes weren't as bad as my standard sldr 4w. That's for sure too

For Dan

Sounds great Snedekerrr...so off the tee, how high are you teeing your ball, and where are you placing the ball in your stance?

I found this to be a replacement for my strong 3w. Much easier to hit than the J40 and much easier to hit than my SLDR 4w. I understand the debate but I really found this club easy to hit. Much easier than I expected and easier than the 3 deep or 2i I have. What I found is when I have my holes that need a 3w or something off the tee this is replacing my current club. On holes where I don't have to worry about accuracy as much my driver comes out.

I've hit the sldr line (minus the s) and found them tough to hit. The driver I finally found a good combo and this Mini has been nothing but good to me. Its not for everyone and I don't plan on hitting off the deck.

I just think that there is the expectation this is as hard to hit as the sldr woods or harder to hit than the driver and I'm not seeing that so far. Its easier than my driver and a bit more accurate.

For Dan

This is very similar to what I experienced, good to hear someone else having success with this beauty.

Sounds great Snedekerrr...so off the tee, how high are you teeing your ball, and where are you placing the ball in your stance?

When I was getting fit for it at Taylormade the fitter recommended playing it just like a driver off the tee. So we put about 1/3 of the ball above the top of the club at address and the ball was all the way forward even with my front instep. I could not believe the numbers at first but the results were even better outside. Then it seemed as though it got even better on the course! I can't wait to play again. I have to be a normal person though and work this week.

This is very similar to what I experienced, good to hear someone else having success with this beauty.

When I was getting fit for it at Taylormade the fitter recommended playing it just like a driver off the tee. So we put about 1/3 of the ball above the top of the club at address and the ball was all the way forward even with my front instep. I could not believe the numbers at first but the results were even better outside. Then it seemed as though it got even better on the course! I can't wait to play again. I have to be a normal person though and work this week.

Glad to see it too pal. Once I started teeing like a driver with that ball placement it really came alive.

For Dan

Honest question for you. What did you expect them to say?

I expected a positive answer but it was the way they answered it there was no aprehension or warning in there voices so i would suspect that it will be similar off the deck as the 2 deep and the Ping

14* Stiff non TP version showed up today. I will be using it tomorrow in place of my driver to get a good feeling for it and hopefully a good review from my perspective. It will be interesting to see the results after using this one and the 12* TP Xstiff on the trackman yesterday and see if the numbers on the screen translate to real golf. I will post up a few pics in a little while showing faces, etc. I have a R9, R11s and a Callaway Razr Fit I can compare it to.

I tried out a 12 degree for 4 rounds and range time. At best it hit wounded ducks that just fell out of the sky to the right. I returned it and picked up a 2 Deep which is a completely different animal. Long, boring trajectory that is tight. The two clubs may share similar lofts but that is about it.

14* Stiff non TP version showed up today. I will be using it tomorrow in place of my driver to get a good feeling for it and hopefully a good review from my perspective. It will be interesting to see the results after using this one and the 12* TP Xstiff on the trackman yesterday and see if the numbers on the screen translate to real golf. I will post up a few pics in a little while showing faces, etc. I have a R9, R11s and a Callaway Razr Fit I can compare it to.

Looking forward to your feedback.

I tried out a 12 degree for 4 rounds and range time. At best it hit wounded ducks that just fell out of the sky to the right. I returned it and picked up a 2 Deep which is a completely different animal. Long, boring trajectory that is tight. The two clubs may share similar lofts but that is about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

What is you swing speed?

TM says that to not scavenge their FW sales but if this thing is 15-25yds longer then my 15' stage2 it's a driver replacement.

I guess I'll wait for an FCT version and put my driver shaft on it.

TM says that to not scavenge their FW sales but if this thing is 15-25yds longer then my 15' stage2 it's a driver replacement.

I guess I'll wait for an FCT version and put my driver shaft on it.

I wonder if the FCT mini will be next year hopefully

Back