How do you handle putts that break?

Neb, I really like to look at every putt as a straight one. Not so much that it results in a straight line, but rather, my ability to let the ball roll naturally on it's course rather than manipulating something in my stroke to improve the break or fight it. What I have done is try to take away a lot of the crazy thoughts that go through my head when I am putting, and limit the calculations to be a more simplified and confident process.

There are a couple of things I consider when reading break:

1 - Uphill putts are inevitably going to break less, because you are placing a stronger stroke on the ball -- I'm sure you've heard announcers talk about 'putting through the break' and a lot of that has to do with speed.
2 - Depending on speed, breaks closer to the hole will often play a greater role on putting line because of pace (again). I'm sure you've seen your ball look like it's going dead center only to break off at the very last second and wonder how the break can take it so much at that spot.
3 - (and this is specific to region) how much the grain plays into the stroke. Don't even ask me about this, because I am NOT a good putter on bermuda.

Anyways, when I look at a putt, I consider where the apex of my putting line needs to be, considering pace, to get the ball to the hole (and in my case, generally let it die into the hole as opposed to running it by). I've made a little visual for reference.

Putting.png

- The blue line represents a straight putt to the hole.
- The green line represents a downhill putt. I consider the distance reduction and think about a straight putt with the hole being where the square is on that line (for pace), and then allow the ball to fall down towards the actual hole in my putt.
- The red line is an uphill putt. I consider the hole to be where the square is, and factor in reduced break because of it being uphill.

Beyond that, I pick something on line about a foot or two beyond the ball on my intended line as a secondary alignment to confirm my setup and take a run at the putt. Once again, reducing my likelihood of standing over the ball and talking myself out of my stroke.

I think putting is a very personal thing -- This is just what I do to get out of my own head and let the green do the work rather than my putting stroke. I look forward to following along with your putting efforts Neb!

Great post Canadan.

I focus on the apex of the break, that becomes my aim point and then it's about how much speed I need to play to get the ball to the hole and just a bit past.

That was a great post Dan. Ryan, like others have said, it is a personal thing largely, but one of the things that really helped my putting was to play more break than I thought (I die the ball at the hole). We hear this all the time from the talking heads on TV "Amateurs never play enough break" "They should play twice as much as they see" Several years ago, I incorporated this into my practice and low and behold they were right to a large degree. Now, there are many other factors like grain, up/downhill etc, but I started putting better when I decided to play more than what I saw break wise. Also helped me read greens a little better as well.

JM

Trial and error and lots of practice time

And try to always leave your "miss" so that you have an uphill putt...i.e.: dont leave a downhiller short so the next putt is STILL downhill :)

And vice versa...don't go blowing an uphiller by, some 5 or 6 feet, and then have a touchy slider coming back. I did that 3x this past tuesday and was beyond pissed!

Can't add to anything that has already been said. Just don't be afraid to miss.

Neb, I really like to look at every putt as a straight one. Not so much that it results in a straight line, but rather, my ability to let the ball roll naturally on it's course rather than manipulating something in my stroke to improve the break or fight it. What I have done is try to take away a lot of the crazy thoughts that go through my head when I am putting, and limit the calculations to be a more simplified and confident process.

There are a couple of things I consider when reading break:

1 - Uphill putts are inevitably going to break less, because you are placing a stronger stroke on the ball -- I'm sure you've heard announcers talk about 'putting through the break' and a lot of that has to do with speed.
2 - Depending on speed, breaks closer to the hole will often play a greater role on putting line because of pace (again). I'm sure you've seen your ball look like it's going dead center only to break off at the very last second and wonder how the break can take it so much at that spot.
3 - (and this is specific to region) how much the grain plays into the stroke. Don't even ask me about this, because I am NOT a good putter on bermuda.

Anyways, when I look at a putt, I consider where the apex of my putting line needs to be, considering pace, to get the ball to the hole (and in my case, generally let it die into the hole as opposed to running it by). I've made a little visual for reference.

Putting.png

- The blue line represents a straight putt to the hole.
- The green line represents a downhill putt. I consider the distance reduction and think about a straight putt with the hole being where the square is on that line (for pace), and then allow the ball to fall down towards the actual hole in my putt.
- The red line is an uphill putt. I consider the hole to be where the square is, and factor in reduced break because of it being uphill.

Beyond that, I pick something on line about a foot or two beyond the ball on my intended line as a secondary alignment to confirm my setup and take a run at the putt. Once again, reducing my likelihood of standing over the ball and talking myself out of my stroke.

I think putting is a very personal thing -- This is just what I do to get out of my own head and let the green do the work rather than my putting stroke. I look forward to following along with your putting efforts Neb!

Thank you for this, Dan. This is sort of what I've tried in the past but half assed it and it didn't stick. This makes sense to my brain and I think I'll adopt this and fully commit and see how it goes.

Thank you for this, Dan. This is sort of what I've tried in the past but half assed it and it didn't stick. This makes sense to my brain and I think I'll adopt this and fully commit and see how it goes.

If it helps, on the putting green, putt to a hole and figure out where that straight line is, then place a tee or marker there as a visual reference. Then, when you're standing behind the ball lining up the putt, you can see visually in front of you where your line is and what the break looks like to justify that line.

In the end, putting is all about technique and practice ... Annnnnd getting completely out of your own head hahaha! Best of luck my friend, hit me up if you want to chat more about it.

All this feedback is great and thanks Neb for asking the question. I have been focusing more on reading greens and those difficult benders that leave you saying "I didn't see that break." Key thing for me is making sure if I do miss, not to leave a putt that is uncomfortable.

I believe that speed dictates line. I always picture how a putt will break and then adjust my target to where it will start to break and just let gravity and the break of the green do the rest.

How do I handle putts that break?

Twice.

Seriously though...I "see" the line, I try to roll the ball according that line and the only thing I need to worry about is the speed / distance. I don't over analyze the break, I look, I see, I putt. Sometimes I look a bit longer, but the first instinct is the one I go with.

if it's down hill, give it a lot of break and not much speed- let it fall.
if it's up hill, not too much break, lots of speed.

I know it sounds weird but I see the line almost like "Tiger Vision" from the video game. If it's a down hill breaker, i'll actually try and hit it off the toe of my putter to give it a little less speed and let it just take the line. If it's a shorter putt, I play less break and hit it firmer.

Most of it really just has to do with practice and what you're comfortable with. I pay attention to where I want to leave the ball in case it does miss as well. I guess it's a whole thought process that I go through each time.

I pick my spot I think it will break and hit it with enough power that it would hit the back of the cup if it were at that location. It works pretty well for me. I most short breaking putts and usually leave it close on longer ones while still sinking a number of them. As far as picking the spot, I can't explain. I read the break and the rest is feel and mentally picturing where the ball will roll. That part comes naturally to me.

Canadans method works well for me as it gives me a small precise aim point.

Outside of that I practice at a place with lots of slope in the practice green. I probably spend half my putting practice time finding big breaking putts and hitting them. In adddition to that I walk the line of those putts to get a feel for the slope in my feet. Your feet will tell you alot more about the slope than your eyes.

Because speed plays a huge part in all this Brad Faxon used to practice trying to get the ball to the hole on big break putts at different speeds to help build his confidence. I do this too as the speed determines the line and not the other way around.

I've been trying to work on my putting lately, and having a lot of trouble with breaking putts and wanted to get some thoughts from others. How do you get the speed right for the intended line? I've tried imagining a hole in a different location, where if I hit to that spot it should drop into the actual hole, but that has been less successful. Any tips would be more than appreciated.

I try to visualize the break and hit it to the peak of the break and let the momentum of the ball take over, it doesn't always work but most of the time it does.

I allow for the break and hit the ball the desired distance.

first you have to see what type of putter you are either you die the ball in the hole or you will putt it by the hole 12-18". after this you can determine the line because they will be different. i prefer to die the ball in when i can because it has a better chance to go in. on uphill i want it to get past the hole. if you dont get it to the hole with speed it will break off at the end and you have no chance to make it.

i guess my advice to you would be on breaking putts. on downhill ones play more break then you think most miss below the hole. for the uphill ones with break get it too the hole with speed.

but remember putting is risk reward if you have a down hill breaking putt and you are going to try to make it you need to know its going to go by the hole a good ways if you give it a chance and miss on the high side. the same goes with uphill breaking putts if you want to give it a chance and you go by the hole you might have a tester back down the hill.

the question would be do you want to give it a chance to go in or not? is it worth it or should you just take your par and move on.

good day!

Back