Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

FINALLY...got to hit this yesterday. Reg flex was a little whipped for even slow swinging me.

However I did like the launch and overall initial flight I sae from the club. And I loved the feel of the face at impact had a very soft and "squishy" feel at impact which was unique for me but I kinda liked it.

Definitely want to try it out some more in the future.

Glad you finally hit it man. It will be back in Indy so you can hit some more bombs with it. This is defiantly a fairway finder when I swing it correctly.

Glad you finally hit it man. It will be back in Indy so you can hit some more bombs with it. This is defiantly a fairway finder when I swing it correctly.

You hit it really well dude, kept it a nice penetrating flight and you saw some nice roll from that too. Keep it up!

You hit it really well dude, kept it a nice penetrating flight and you saw some nice roll from that too. Keep it up!

Will do Mike, really loving this guy.

FINALLY...got to hit this yesterday. Reg flex was a little whipped for even slow swinging me.

However I did like the launch and overall initial flight I sae from the club. And I loved the feel of the face at impact had a very soft and "squishy" feel at impact which was unique for me but I kinda liked it.

Definitely want to try it out some more in the future.

Agreed. The face feels like it wants to propel the ball forward. Totally get what you are saying. I liked it as well.

Have this shafted up with the Kusala Blue. God it looks nice. Shaft feels great too.

I've hit it twice already. Once on the monitor and once at my lesson. So far, it's not pretty lol. Just being real. Same mid flight that I've seen with every shaft to this point, but it's a swing/club combo thing I'm still working on. See if I can make some progress this evening.

I stopped by the local big box and had them shorten mine to 45" and add a mid sized grip. I am looking forward to a range session later today. I may be picking up a classic xl with a stiff black tie to try that shaft out for grins and giggles.

Have this shafted up with the Kusala Blue. God it looks nice. Shaft feels great too.

I've hit it twice already. Once on the monitor and once at my lesson. So far, it's not pretty lol. Just being real. Same mid flight that I've seen with every shaft to this point, but it's a swing/club combo thing I'm still working on. See if I can make some progress this evening.

Good luck man. I for one truly appreciate the effort you have given this driver. If you can't find a pairing it isn't for lack of trying

Good luck man. I for one truly appreciate the effort you have given this driver. If you can't find a pairing it isn't for lack of trying

Gained about 15 feet or so last night lol. Still no bueno.

Gained about 15 feet or so last night lol. Still no bueno.

You have really put it through the paces. It just might not be for you

You have really put it through the paces. It just might not be for you

Yes indeed. We'll see where the swing goes in the next ten weeks. Never know. Changes are the hardest to make for me with the longer clubs.

Yes indeed. We'll see where the swing goes in the next ten weeks. Never know. Changes are the hardest to make for me with the longer clubs.

Interesting. My issue is with the short ones. I expect this driver to work as well or better than my gamer when I get it in hand

Having options may be a saving grace

Having options may be a saving grace

I'll find something for sure. Just being picky. Not so much with this one, because it's consistently been a no-go, but something will end up working out.

Before the shaft trim mine was D8 with the 11 gram weight in the head. With the trim and the Ping mid size grip it is D4 and the S flex shaft is a just a touch stiffer. I hit the range tonight and in the neutral setting was hitting lower piercing bullets. Lower than I am used to the seeing. So I set the shaft to 2.25 open which should have taken the loft of the 9.0 head to 10.5. The ball flight was perfect. and I was hitting straight shots with the mid flight that I like with only a touch of a fade at the very end of the flight. The fade might also have been due to the light onshore breeze that was present during my testing. I am excited and looking forward to getting back out on the course to give it a go and see how far she flies in the new configuration.

Before the shaft trim mine was D8 with the 11 gram weight in the head. With the trim and the Ping mid size grip it is D4 and the S flex shaft is a just a touch stiffer. I hit the range tonight and in the neutral setting was hitting lower piercing bullets. Lower than I am used to the seeing. So I set the shaft to 2.25 open which should have taken the loft of the 9.0 head to 10.5. The ball flight was perfect. and I was hitting straight shots with the mid flight that I like with only a touch of a fade at the very end of the flight. The fade might also have been due to the light onshore breeze that was present during my testing. I am excited and looking forward to getting back out on the course to give it a go and see how far she flies in the new configuration.

How do like the heavier weight? This is where I'm leaning for mine.

I'll find something for sure. Just being picky. Not so much with this one, because it's consistently been a no-go, but something will end up working out.

This is a low spin driver, no doubt. I'm curious what settings you have tried it on. Lofting up and changing shafts might be a good option for you. If you loft up with this driver you are also closing the face some so you might want to open the face a little before you take your grip as to negate the closed club face somewhat if your miss is left. Just a suggestion.

Good luck Hawk and I'm sure you will get it all worked out in time. It may not be the driver for you. I would suggest as a last ditch effort if the Custom or Altitude driver just does not work the 588, 14° fairway wood with a 44° shaft could be your best option. I would only suggest trying this if all else fails.

I really like it. I was going to see check with my insider to see if there is a 16g weight available through the tour department to get it back up to the D8 range. The heavier weight helps me feel the club. In the current configuration I am not complaining has the making for a wonderful fairway finder. I was having some issues earlier this week. I would hit the first few of drives well (pretty deep and in the short stuff) but as I continued on I started to go after it harder/ and then I was getting wild. I also figured out after a lesson yesterday I was getting to inside on the take away and then letting the hands ride up so I was steep. I then would drop the club in to the slot area but it was a total timing move that could lead to a pull hook or a push fade if I dropped below the plane. The upside is after some work on the range after the lesson and additional work last night I was up closer to plane on the take away which made the downswing plane and the resulting shots more consistent. With the driver in this new configuration (1" shorter from stock, stock stiff with 11 gram weight and 2.25* open) I was ripping it and getting a good ball flight and a straight to controlled fade. I want to get it out on the course and GPS some drives to see what the results are and see if the consistency holds up under on course conditions.

Three shafts and every setting. Having to look at a closed face to that degree makes lofting it up a no go considering my miss. Would love if there was either a high loft version or something like the smartpad, but there isn't. No big deal and really, without the MC in the future I wouldn't even be bothering. Just have to explore options.

I really like it. I was going to see check with my insider to see if there is a 16g weight available through the tour department to get it back up to the D8 range. The heavier weight helps me feel the club. In the current configuration I am not complaining has the making for a wonderful fairway finder. I was having some issues earlier this week. I would hit the first few of drives well (pretty deep and in the short stuff) but as I continued on I started to go after it harder/ and then I was getting wild. I also figured out after a lesson yesterday I was getting to inside on the take away and then letting the hands ride up so I was steep. I then would drop the club in to the slot area but it was a total timing move that could lead to a pull hook or a push fade if I dropped below the plane. The upside is after some work on the range after the lesson and additional work last night I was up closer to plane on the take away which made the downswing plane and the resulting shots more consistent. With the driver in this new configuration (1" shorter from stock, stock stiff with 11 gram weight and 2.25* open) I was ripping it and getting a good ball flight and a straight to controlled fade. I want to get it out on the course and GPS some drives to see what the results are and see if the consistency holds up under on course conditions.
It's my understanding that opening the face is lower loft so you are playing with 7.5° of loft on your driver? Just curious as that's a pretty low loft.

Three shafts and every setting. Having to look at a closed face to that degree makes lofting it up a no go considering my miss. Would love if there was either a high loft version or something like the smartpad, but there isn't. No big deal and really, without the MC in the future I wouldn't even be bothering. Just have to explore options.
Sorry to hear that Hawk. It seems these Cleveland drivers are just not your cup of tea. Are you considering what I suggested with the 588 fairway at 14°? I really think you might like that set-up and by adding a .5" or a full inch and getting a shaft you really like might just work well for you. You might even consider using a driver shaft and cutting it down and letting it play a little softer to flex.

Honestly, it would be a huge shame if I had to go that route. Who knows what is in the works though. We may have other options come selection time.

The driver was the only thing working for me today. Legit bombs. Thank goodness for 588. Was out driving my best mans R1 by 20 yards and his swing is fit into a stiff flex. I told him he should adjust his R1 after each drive to get better ball flight on the next hole. With friends like me who needs enemies.

How do like the heavier weight? This is where I'm leaning for mine.

I got the heavier weight in my driver now and defiantly won't go back to the 3 gram. I like a heavier head so it defiantly helps me find fairways.

Back