Playing golf with pain: Heel Spur/Hagland's Deformity/Pump Bump on back of foot

hometeamdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
This is NOT plantar fasciitis (been there, survived that).

Just wondering if anyone else is 'playing through' this. Thinking of cutting a hole
in the back of some athletic-type golf shoes.

I've had some back trouble for a couple of years and walking to compensate for that may
have led to the current issue. Getting old is fun!

I had heel spurs in the past. At times they could be crazy painful.
Good luck dude, hope you feel better.

I have many pains it seems from day to day, from lower back to knees, to legs but I get by on Advil liquid gel's.....

Getting old does suck! I work with the pain, so there is no way I'm not golfing with a little pain. My wife has had spur issues and I know she was in a lot of pain at times. She has yet to have surgery, so we both now just ride when playing.

I've just learnt something! I have Hagland's Deformity! Had problems with my heels for years, specifically my Achilles which have always been tender. They've been far worse since my last sciatic attack a few years back. I've also had this hump bump for years. Always just thought it was my weird feet, didn't realize it was an actual recognized condition, till now. The main problem I get is rubbing with new shoes. Other than that, it's my Achilles that gives me more grief. Very good shoes and a couple of ibuprofen gets me round 18 though.

have arthiritas and still play 36 a day

We had 3+ inches of rain Wednesday. So Thursday I pull out out a pair of waterproof shoes I hadn't worn in a while. BIG problem with the back of my foot. May have to get some golf sandals with a strap that doesn't irritate the bump.

Three knee surgeries (two major) within eight years has taken a told on my balance and flexibly.Now my fricking hip is sore. I suppose it got tired of trying to keep the weight off the bum knee. I played with/through a ton of pain over the past years. Getting up in age definitely brings a bag full of aches with it. :beat-up:

Gray, I know what you mean. getting old is tough. I too have a hip problem that comes and goes. Just wish it would go and stay gone. Sounds crazy, but it actually feels better playing golf, at least that what I tell my wife.

As a former Major League pitcher I've had my share of injuries throughout my career including Tommy John, torn meniscus, L5-S1 discetomy, cartilage removed from my shoulder etc...I play with pain daily. Every morning I do my stretching routine and jog a couple of miles and walk. My doctor prescribes vicodin, tramadol and flexaril. I don't take the pain meds however due to the side affects. I try my best to just live with it. Had to break down my swing several times during g my career and downgrade from CB 2 irons to the current CB 3 set I now have in the bag. Pain and aging suck but I couldn't imagine life without golf so I just deal with it. I'm sure many of you can relate. Good luck with the heel spurs and I would recommend seeing a certified podiatrist.

Thanks striker,

I had a microdiscectomy in 2012 that did nothing to alleviate my back pain. scopes on both knees. Now, from favoring the back, hip discomfort and the heel spur. The spur is the squeaky wheel for now, so it will get the attention.

And I wake up every morning thinking about the next round of golf I'm scheduled to play...

Back