Wilson Staff C100 Irons - THP Preview

It's more if preference for me. From a first impression they look heavy, which actually may not be the case.

How is the weight with these?

The weight is predictable. I can tell you that I have been rotating three iron types during my range sessions, one of which is about as player iron as it gets, and I don't have an ounce of issues dealing with 'weight' or 'bulk' when switching to the C100's. I'm not forced to alter my swing in order to produce good results.

In the end if the accuracy, distance, forgiveness and feel is there, should size really matter. Performance is what should be the goal.

It will be interesting to how the finish holds up.

For an iron built on 'control' it's impressive how much the C100's promote a consistent flight. I've been playing a small draw with ease, generating some very good, consistent distance, and not having any trouble stopping the ball greenside.

One of the things I think people will really benefit from these irons, especially those with consistency issues, is how well the club bounces off heavy shots that make ground contact a distance behind the ball. Obviously distance is lost, but it's really not as bad as some of the more aggressive soles that dig through the turf relentlessly.

While this could produce a red flag for thinned shots and the inclination to try 'picking' the ball, it's not been an issue for me. Even in situations where the ball is contacted on the lower grooves of the face, I'm still seeing some solid distance. Lower flight, but not a huge gap in what I would expect for total distance.

As always, I welcome any questions you have.

Are these coming with you to Nashville? If so, I'd love to swing them.

Competing the review this evening, I am really enjoying the experience. Fortunate to finish with two strong rounds of golf that provided me with a lot of predictable iron shots, I'm leaning very optimistic towards the C100 irons as a true control based distance iron.

One of the major assets to this set is the GW that comes with it. It bridges the gap extremely well between the PW (44*) and my 54* wedge, especially with how much I can alter the launch. It's also very straight, and has had a hand of no less than three kick in birdies during my on course testing.

I hope everyone who is looking for control, some added distance, and accuracy gives these a swing or two.

Great review!

Cold, rainy, and soft ground today convinced me to grab the C100 irons on the way out the door.

It was a great move. They are hardly harsh at all on bad shots, and I was able to hole out from 140 with an easy 9 iron on only the second hole of my day. Just a very easy iron to produce a quality shot with. Whether these are the type of irons I'd game all the time or not, they are wonderful for mediocre weather golf. I love where companies are going with their combined control/distance offerings.

Absolutely love the look of these irons. Coming from GI in the cobra s2's these might be a quality upgrade!

I have to say, these irons are very nice, and I'm glad I bought them. I used to play the D-100 and those irons are extremely long and distances were sometimes difficult to guage. Canadan is right on the mark w/ his review of these irons. My ball flight is very consistant and distances are on the money. These irons ARE NOT bulky at all. They are between a player iron and a game improvement club. In my opinion, they are easy to hit, and the prices on the Wilson irons are in a good range. I have had several range sessions and a few rounds on them and the finish HAS NOT worn off of the irons.

If anyone is looking for a player's iron w/ plenty of forgiveness and good distance and consistant ball flight, give the Wilsons test drive. You will be greatly impressed. If anyone has any questions, I can answer them for you.

This thread really makes me want to hit these. Typically, I can't find a set near me. Not that I'd be in purchase mode, but one never knows....

Dan you did a great job buddy and these irons would definitely be on my radar if/when I'm in purchase mode!

Silverbullet01 I noticed you have 3H thru PW in your irons. Is the hybrid a C100 product. I am curious. I think I want to go 5-PW and a gap wedge. I like my current hybrids.

It is funny. This morning was the first time I saw five different topics on the first page all related to Wilson Staff.
I know the FG m3 irons are awesome but I am guessing the C100 are probably best for those of us in need of help and more forgiveness.
I love the finish on these things. Curious to see who has hit these as I start to figure out what to demo. Luckily there is an awesome fitter in a small town next to Charlotte who was onto WS a few years ago.

I've been a bit underwhelmed with my iron ball striking lately. Hanging with the face open, a bit shallow through the zone, and an inside/out path leaves me with a relatively straight shot that doesn't go far enough for my liking. As I start working on improving my path and contact, I really liked the idea of moving to a more forgiving head to get the distance back (thanks to what I assume is improved forgiveness at various points of the face) and having the C100 irons at rest in my backup bag was basically a green light.

I might get a new thread going (a very internet golfery thread) about the concept, but it was so nice to have competitive (by my definition) distance again on ALL shots, not just my well struck ones. The feedback off the face has always been very pleasing, and the almost chromed out dark finish is unique to look down on.

I'm not sure how long they'll stay in the bag, but I really enjoyed my weekend with them. A couple surprises on what my normal flight would dictate, but overall they provided me with the ability to hit some fantastic golf shots. Plus, adding the gap wedge back into the bag was GREAT! I think I'll lean towards a set gap wedge moving forward if at all possible.

Can't wait to hear more feed back on these irons, strongly considering these.

I've been a bit underwhelmed with my iron ball striking lately. Hanging with the face open, a bit shallow through the zone, and an inside/out path leaves me with a relatively straight shot that doesn't go far enough for my liking. As I start working on improving my path and contact, I really liked the idea of moving to a more forgiving head to get the distance back (thanks to what I assume is improved forgiveness at various points of the face) and having the C100 irons at rest in my backup bag was basically a green light.

I might get a new thread going (a very internet golfery thread) about the concept, but it was so nice to have competitive (by my definition) distance again on ALL shots, not just my well struck ones. The feedback off the face has always been very pleasing, and the almost chromed out dark finish is unique to look down on.

I'm not sure how long they'll stay in the bag, but I really enjoyed my weekend with them. A couple surprises on what my normal flight would dictate, but overall they provided me with the ability to hit some fantastic golf shots. Plus, adding the gap wedge back into the bag was GREAT! I think I'll lean towards a set gap wedge moving forward if at all possible.

Canadan,

Do you find switching up the irons every once in a while helps you out quite a bit or is it difficult to adjust to a new set if they are that different in shape, swing weight, etc...? The J40's are quite a bit more challenging to hit than the C100s, no?

Dave

Canadan,

Do you find switching up the irons every once in a while helps you out quite a bit or is it difficult to adjust to a new set if they are that different in shape, swing weight, etc...? The J40's are quite a bit more challenging to hit than the C100s, no?

Dave

Dave, they are definitely harder to hit than the C100s. I think when you get to a certain point of skill, you begin to start craving less forgiveness because the misses aren't anywhere near as surprising (bad swing = distance loss. Toe ball with the face shut is going to turn left with some distance loss, etc).

With the more forgiving head, my misses tend to be more on the spectrum of hanging out to the right and not drawing -- and my assumption on that is a more forgiving head with a larger sweet spot -- But I'm just throwing stones at a brick wall here.

The bottom line for me, is that I want to enjoy the game of golf. Scratch was my goal, and after having achieved that last year, I'm pulling my hair out trying to go lower and it's just not worth it. I want to start focusing on the clubs that are more likely to go straight and guarantee solid distance, and the C100's are definitely providing that right now. There is just too much incredible technology out there right now and it's foolish to not take advantage of it.

To answer your first question though, every club change is a challenge. Different swing weights, different shafts (more than likely), and different misses -- And finding a good relationship with a club does take some time, however moving from a less forgiving set to something like the C100's was really quite easy. I didn't lose strokes going from one round to the next.

Curious to know how well the finish held up to regular play. I am really interested in these irons all of the sudden.

I currently play the old Adams A7 irons and really enjoy their headshape/toned down size. I suppose they are a "playerish" GI iron and I am looking for something similar. It looks like these might fit the bill.

Curious to know how well the finish held up to regular play. I am really interested in these irons all of the sudden.

I currently play the old Adams A7 irons and really enjoy their headshape/toned down size. I suppose they are a "playerish" GI iron and I am looking for something similar. It looks like these might fit the bill.

Somewhat of a late response to your question (sorry), but it's held up quite well! The design of the head provides a more sturdy construction where the greatest amount of ground contact is made, and while the irons start to lighten on the lower end of the face with minor scratching, they look extremely clean.

My additional romp with the C100s came over the last week or so, where I played probably 5 rounds with them and scored well. They are exactly what is advertised by Wilson, controlled distance. The right elements of forgiveness, with predictable flighting and competitive carry numbers. While playing a smaller profile head is enjoyable when I am swinging well, the idea that I can set it to 'cruise control' in my swing and have confidence that the distance is going to be there is absolutely great. Looking over the C100s, they really aren't overbearing at all. The darker finish gives them an excellent profile.

The True Temper CL100 shafts, which are considered mid launch and mid spin, hold up surprisingly well to a variety of swing styles. Where I usually lean more towards a lower launching shaft, I was able to enjoy them without feeling like the shafts were a hindrance, and found the flight to be a nice mid/high but not ballooning.

This weekend, a very good friend of mine gamed them, and played them extremely well. He was playing a tight draw with great flight, something he wasn't accustomed to - But loved. With how well he played the irons and the excitement he had for Wilson (he's a Chicago local), it only made sense to leave them with him to continue his GIR improvement.

For their intended profile, I think they are at the top of the pack.

Finally got a chance to hit these today and i loved them. Was hitting them against cobra bio cells. I liked the feel of the c100s over the bio cells. Which sucks cause the bio cells are cheap right now. I guess i have to start sucking up to my wife for a birthday present.

Great to hear you enjoyed them! How'd you like the finish and top line?
I really like the finish, one of the best looking irons this year only the m3 looks better. The top line is a little thicker then I'm use to but doesnt bother me any hopefully it gives me a little more confidence.

Well i bought myself a present. Cant wait to get out on sunday and hit them.
e09f7ab2c47e09deb9079d2050f06f2b.jpg

Nice, enjoy the new sticks man.

I am really stuck on a decision here. I can't decide between these and the M3s. I suspect the C100s are a bit longer, and they have stronger lofts than what I am gaming now. I just am not sure which is best for me. Thanks for all the updates in this thread. They have been enlightening. Frankly, I was (predictably) not impressed with the information provided in the Golf.com club test.

Back