Lucy Li, 11, qualifies for U.S. Open

SaskeyInWash

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.0
This is just crazy to me. I can imagine competing at the US Open at 11 years old.

-------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services
PRINT

Lucy Li will make U.S. Women's Open history this year when at 11 years old she will become the youngest to ever participate in the tournament.
At 11 years old, Lucy Li becomes the youngest qualifier in U.S. Women's Open history.
Li earned her way into the event by shooting rounds of 74 and 68 at Half Moon Bay in a sectional qualifier.
The 11-year-old from Redwood City, California already has a victory at Augusta under her belt, having won her age group in the first annual Drive, Chip and Putt Championship held in April ahead of the Masters.
Last year, Li made it to the U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links Championship and shot one round at 1 under, but missed the cut.
Alexis Thompson (12 years, 4 months, 18 days) previously held the record for youngest to qualify for the event, doing so in 2007.
The U.S. Women's Open will be played June 19-22 at Pinehurst.

THats just crazy

Unreal.

I wish someone had gotten me interested in golf at that age!

Wow. Just wow

Cant even fathom that.

Wow. I just can't believe that. 11 years old. Good for her.

My only question is: are the men that much better or is the women's game just not developing that well?

IMO there should be no one playing in a major tournament that is just graduating 5th grade.

That's nuts! as cool as it is I'm not so sure I like the idea of an 11 year old playing in an adult event.

Pretty incredible what this little girl just achieved.

It's absolutely mind boggling That an 11 year old qualified. Wow.

Just amazing!!! :clapp:

Wow. I just can't believe that. 11 years old. Good for her.

My only question is: are the men that much better or is the women's game just not developing that well?

IMO there should be no one playing in a major tournament that is just graduating 5th grade.

It is hard to believe an 11 year-old is able to qualify for the biggest tournament in women's golf.

Good for her! I am gonna go get drunk because I feel like a loser now.

That's amazing to think that an 11 yr old is hitting the ball the same length as pros. I say more power to her. If she can qualify then she deserves to be there.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Do we know that she is hitting it as far?

Incredible story and achievement nonetheless.

Guantang (sp?) playing in the Masters in 2013 was substantially shorter than his playing partners but had hybrids on lock down into the greens. Wonder if this young lady has a similar style....

While I know it's true, I just cannot wrap my head around how it's physically possible for an 11 year old girl to hit the ball even remotely far enough to par and birdie holes that are 350+ yards.

While I know it's true, I just cannot wrap my head around how it's physically possible for an 11 year old girl to hit the ball even remotely far enough to par and birdie holes that are 350+ yards.
My guess is short game is the great equilizer. If you can get 3rd shot pitches in close to the hole and make the putt it is still a par. I would love to see her short game stats. I bet they are off the chart.

Good point. She might be playing longer clubs on approach shots. Not really sure. Either way the distance from tee to green is the same, which is impressive for her to hang in there with the pros who are double her age or older.

It'd be really cool to see her get paired up with an older tour vet. I bet that would be a great learning experience for her.

Inkster would be a perfect pairing IMO. This really is mind blowing that she qualified.

Good point. She might be playing longer clubs on approach shots. Not really sure. Either way the distance from tee to green is the same, which is impressive for her to hang in there with the pros who are double her age or older.

It'd be really cool to see her get paired up with an older tour vet. I bet that would be a great learning experience for her.

I agree probably driver-hybrid or something like that although Michelle Wie was cranking the ball further than a lot of men at 13.

Getting paired with a vet that wouldn't be contention would be good for her. They may have more time for her than some one shooting for the leaderboard.

She's obviously got game and skills winning her qualifier by 7 but sorry I don't support kids that young playing in majors or any professional tournament. My daughter is 11. I think it's great she has ability but sorry let her be a kid. 16 should really be the limit but left to me I'd probably say 18.

I honestly don't even understand how this is possible?! I mean, that's awesome for her and what an achievement, but how the heck can an 11 year old compete with the best women in the world? I'm blown away.

Am I the only one that kind of chuckles when I see an amateur playing in a major and has such a small stand bag? It's funny to see the professional's caddie lug around a huge staff bag and then the amateur's caddie with one hand just effortlessly yanks up the smaller bag.

I mean, when you're her playing partner, do you have to watch your cursing when you hit a wayward shot?

It's crazy to think of.....let's see, my son is 2.5. He should be able to start qualifying in about 10 years so he needs to practice how many holes per day?.................

~Rock

This is crazy. What an accomplishment at such a young age.

I was playing at 11 and remember how excited I was to break 85 for the first time...... Can only imagine the thoughts going through her head right now

At 11 I had been playing for about 4 years. I still couldn't break 100. ...Many times I still can't.

Back