Hand position at address

EaglevsFalcon

Reaction score
Handicap
3.4 GHIN
Something came up during my swing and fitness analysis today. Normally at address, I hold the club with my arms hanging down in front of me lining the clubface up with my target. This guy had me move my hands forward a bit (almost like a forward press, just starting in the press) to flatten out my left wrist. This opened the clubface some to where it looked off by a noticeable amount. Swinging from this position produced some pretty awesome shots but it just didnt feel like a viable thing to do. It worked, but felt fundamentally wrong. Was he right to suggest this or is what I usually do the right approach?

Why don't you believe it is viable?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

What kind of shots did that lead to? Push draws, straight, etc?

Straightening that wrist probably does assorted things to your setup (angle tilt to shoulders, making shoulders squared to your target) and getting you to a better forward lean shaft at impact. I bet it is about those things, not necessarily the wrist, per se. The results were good, right? There are always things that happen in lessons that feel weird but are necessary.

I find his advice a little strange, and in direct opposition to what my instructor advised me. I was hitting my irons very solidly, but most often left of target. I thought it was an over the top move. He had me take my address, and placed a club across my shoulders. The club was pointing left of the target line, while my feet and hips were perfectly square. He asked, "if you swing on plane from that position, where do you think the ball will go?" The answer, obviously, was left where my shoulders were pointing, unless I made some other "compensation" in the swing. He then had me take the position again, and took the grip end of a club and moved my hand position back to the more neutral position (centered). My shoulders came naturally back to a position squared to the target line. I had been setting up with a forward press with my hands which automatically opened the shoulders. When back in the squared up position, my pull to the left was gone.

My "forward press" may have been more exaggerated than what he is suggesting for you. But, I'd just be careful with it, and watch that your shoulders don't get to open to the target line.

Why don't you believe it is viable?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Just didn't seem right to have my hands that far forward and the clubhead that open.

What kind of shots did that lead to? Push draws, straight, etc?

Pretty much high and dead straight.
Straightening that wrist probably does assorted things to your setup (angle tilt to shoulders, making shoulders squared to your target) and getting you to a better forward lean shaft at impact. I bet it is about those things, not necessarily the wrist, per se. The results were good, right? There are always things that happen in lessons that feel weird but are necessary.

Didn't feel weird, per se, but it just seemed improper. The results were good but I couldn't wrap my head around why that worked. I hope to have a range session today to work it out. I think that the concept is fine. It was just such a dramatic push forward.

I find his advice a little strange, and in direct opposition to what my instructor advised me. I was hitting my irons very solidly, but most often left of target. I thought it was an over the top move. He had me take my address, and placed a club across my shoulders. The club was pointing left of the target line, while my feet and hips were perfectly square. He asked, "if you swing on plane from that position, where do you think the ball will go?" The answer, obviously, was left where my shoulders were pointing, unless I made some other "compensation" in the swing. He then had me take the position again, and took the grip end of a club and moved my hand position back to the more neutral position (centered). My shoulders came naturally back to a position squared to the target line. I had been setting up with a forward press with my hands which automatically opened the shoulders. When back in the squared up position, my pull to the left was gone.

My "forward press" may have been more exaggerated than what he is suggesting for you. But, I'd just be careful with it, and watch that your shoulders don't get to open to the target line.

Yeah, this is a good example. Part of the issue is that I wasnt there for swing tips. I was there for a fitness test. I don't know this guy's teaching qualifications so I'm skeptical of his advice. Felt like random guy at the range type of advice. If it hadn't worked, I would have tossed it aside in a second.

Hands in front of the ball is a basic fundamental principle in golf. Hands forward and club face pointed at the target

Hands in front of the ball is a basic fundamental principle in golf. Hands forward and club face pointed at the target

right, but this was A LOT. Almost like a chip. Not quite, but close.

Something I read in Golf Digest... Since the clubface moves so fast through the impact that you can't tell if it's open or closed or what, you should move your grip so that the back of your hand is facing the target. Well not necessarily move your grip, but when your done adjusting everything.. that way you can think about where your backhand is facing at impact even while swinging.

Hank Haney's recommendation

byge6ege.jpg

If ur starting like Haney u better not be finishing like that! A little forward press is good if u have trouble compressing the golf ball...basically ur starting like u should be finishing.

Sounds like you weren't compressing the golf ball. Find a ball compression drill that is more comfortable for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you weren't compressing the golf ball. Find a ball compression drill that is more comfortable for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe me, I have no trouble compressing a golf ball. It was just something that didnt seem correct. Its really a non issue at this point, though. It made me rethink too many things that didnt need to be. All is well. Thanks

Great great post. I would think opposite having hands back not forward pressed . Interesting .. But enlightening

Back