Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

First round with my new BB tomorrow.....very excited

This driver is just something else. Last few sessions and rounds have been with it exclusively and I remember why I wrote the review like I did, it's that damn good.

The love affair continues. Starting to work on ball flight now. There were times yesterday when I needed to hit a blind tee shot over trees. Big trees. I moved the ball a little farther forward and made sure I stayed behind it and Bertha did the rest. Long, high and straight. Today I worked on teeing it a little lower and getting more run out on par 5s. My only miss seems to be when I try to get a little more out of it that I need to and come over the top and pull it left.

This club makes driving the golf ball fun... now if I could only get my wedges figured out :bulgy-eyes:

I really can't wait for mine to get here. I probably should stop reading this thread. It will only make waiting worse.

Had my best day yet with the Big Bertha. Only hit 7 fairways but 11 of my 14 drives were playable. Hit a couple of bombs with it.

First round yesterday and Bertha didn't disappoint......10/14 fairways hit, have to get used to it going dead straight or with a little baby draw....I haven't aimed at the right side of the fairway in quite some time

I've played my last 4 rounds with the BB paired with a matrix xcon6. Lofting up to 10 degrees and playing standard has unlocked more from this club. my dispersion has really tightened up, trajectory is higher and I'm getting more carry. Not quite ready to claim victory but I'm more impressed with this club after the shaft change.

Just received my Bertha 9* to test against the Alpha and X2 Hot Pro. Got the Project X Handcrafted to try as well.

etxv5t.jpg

Just received my Bertha 9* to test against the Alpha and X2 Hot Pro. Got the Project X Handcrafted to try as well.

etxv5t.jpg

That's some serious firepower there. Your results will be a must read.

etxv5t.jpg

Will be very interested to hear as I kill the x2hot over the BB or Alpha.

Buckjob was absolutely destroying the Alpha with the Project X handcrafted shaft this weekend. He normally kills the ball but this was a new level and he wasn't even swinging hard.

Bertha and I are getting to know each other a bit better. Had another spectacular driving day with her this evening. 10/14 fairways hit and 2 that I missed were just a few feet off the fairway leaving 12 playable drives. I'll take that all day long. All 4 of my miss fairways were on the left side which is what I like. I want my misses to be predictable so that I can eliminate one side of the hole off the tee.

I hit botg versions at Golftown. Both were solid, nice sound with a slight fade. I kept the settings at the slightly open and its 9 degrees. Was told by the sales accociate the stiff plays more like an extra stiff. So I then tried the regular flex. I had similar results, spin was 3895 and 12 degrees launch. Only problem I have the distances were not quite there, almost 25 yards shorter then my carry with my current clubs. That being said with many clubs I have yet to see my average distances show on the screen. Not quite sure why that is. Either way I really enjoyed the big bertha quite a bit. May need to try these again

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Went with Bertha after comparing to SLDR

Went with Bertha after comparing to SLDR

Went to the PGA superstore in Paramus, NJ in search for a new driver.

I brought my Taylormade R11s with black tie set to 11.5* to compare to the other offerings.

First I swung my R11s to get some base numbers. Spin was up around 3800 with side spin over 2000 rPms whEn missed with an average carry of 256.

Swing speed was an average of 95 mph

First tried the SLDR in black tie set to 12* and while the distance was decent it wasn't that much of an improvement (about 260 carry avg.) and I really didn't like the feeling when struck well or bad. Yes I will say I could "feel" where the club was but I wasn't in love with it. Also have to say I didn't like the sound of the club overall...and I really wanted to love the club. Even the rep Bill felt I was swinging the R11s better.

Just to note SS was around 100 with the SlDR which I have never seen before really.

Onto to the Callaway we went. After seeing where I was missing the ball typically he went and got the Big Bertha in 10.5* with the BB Alpha shaft (Fubuki Zeta tour in stiff) since he didn't have a black tie to test the Bertha and it was a match made in heaven. After tinkering with some adjustments we settled on the loft pushed up to 11.5* and the weight clicked into +2 draw.

End results were backspin of 2600 avg, avg. carry of 270 and side spin was around 1000 rPms which will help with mishaps. Also swing speed was up around 106 with some swings up around 108-109.

Also so gave me an additional adapter to install into my current black tie shaft (traded in the R11s for 85 bucks)

All in all a pleasant experience at the superstore. Really can't wait to get this cannon on the course!

I want a handcrafted shaft to try in the BB. If the stock shaft is that good, I can only imagine how much better it could be with a custom one that was made just for me.

Buckjob was absolutely destroying the Alpha with the Project X handcrafted shaft this weekend. He normally kills the ball but this was a new level and he wasn't even swinging hard.

I'm going to give this combo a shot tomorrow, it was great at the range today. I've never played the course we are going to tomorrow, so I won't have any reference points to compare distance.

On my first round hit my longest drive ever!!! Previous best was 290 (measured) this was 349 (measured)!!!! My partner was talking smack at the tee that he thought his was longer and I smoked him by 50 yds. Hit a 6 iron onto the green while he blasted a 3w into the rose bushes. Best golf purchase i ever made!

Loved my Bertha, but just haven't had the greatest luck with them. My first one just started to flake away, then my second one I cracked after hitting 5 balls at the range. Soooooo, I went with an SLDR

It's so great to finally game a driver that fits my game so well. I tend to hit a small draw with my irons, but hit either a straight ball or a slight fade almost every time. The occasional pull will find its way in sometimes, but overall, this drive just fits me perfectly.

Pretty awesome to read all the love for this. But just can't hit that club wish I could

I have been dreaming about the ball flight I was seeing with the Big Bertha/Speeder 661 combo during my fitting...such a beautiful thing, and to see it repeating was an absolute dream come true. It's going to be a long two months until I get to lay my hands on her again, but she will be in my thoughts daily.

Made a slight tweak with Bertha tonight. A bit too much of a draw so I moved the APW from draw 2 to the neutral setting. Straight as an arrow with a slight fade at times. Love this driver and it's staying in the bag for a long time. #BerthaLong

I still just can't seem to get consistent with this thing, but I know for a fact that it's a swing issue. I'm still eagerly awaiting the day I consistently hit this well, along with my other clubs.

I still just can't seem to get consistent with this thing, but I know for a fact that it's a swing issue. I'm still eagerly awaiting the day I consistently hit this well, along with my other clubs.

No worries dude, I have yet to find consistency with it either. I shelved it for now and went back to my old faithful in the amp cell.

No worries dude, I have yet to find consistency with it either. I shelved it for now and went back to my old faithful in the amp cell.

Yeah, I think I might do the same and play for a week with the old R11S and see what happens.

Back