Belly/Anchored putting

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Was pondering Vijay Singh's performance in the 2008 Deutsche Bank Championship's event, mostly while cruising YouTube, and the thought occurred to me, "Has there ever been a particular event that personified the Belly or Anchored Putter?" He putted lights out that year. Just killed everything, especially the long putts where minute variations in face angle usually result in misses.

So the thought occurred to me that this is where people sort of thought of anchored putting as a distinct advantage.

Is there an event on tour that really sticks in your mind as being when people thought, "Hey, that belly/anchored putter might be a good idea!"

For the record, Pres. G.H.W. Bush was using an anchored putter during the late 80's/early 90's. Is this all his fault?

LOL.... I don't know whose fault it is. I do know i'm not a fan of the belly/anchored putter and if it were up to me I'd put an asterisk next to the name of every winner using one. Just my humble opinion.

Miller in 85 and Rocco in 91.

Never really paid it much attention until Keegan and Adam won majors using them.

:deadhorse:

Lol, Run!!

For the record, Pres. G.H.W. Bush was using an anchored putter during the late 80's/early 90's. Is this all his fault?

No matter what the situation, its always a Bush's fault.

The first time I was really interesting in anchoring is when Keegs won the PGA and everybody said it was cheaping because it made putting easier. So I went out and bought one. Played 4 months with it and realized it didn't make putting easier and anchoring wasn't a cure all crutch.

Anybody who thinks it is, is wrong IMO.

Helped my game tremendously ..been using since 1991 . This might be my last year at a run of trying to play competitive golf and keeping score and handicap.. putting too much stress on my family for me to practice everyday . But that putter is downright amazing.., I literally only had 2 3 Putts last year..and only 1 this year. I started playing great great golf back in mid 90's due to this putter. Qualified for division 2 golf my junior year..played many state tourneys and out of state tourneys. My putting woes were gone. Hate to see it banned by the anchor method..but if I just use golf as a fun relaxer for the next few seasons. I will still use my long putter how I wish, if I decide to do this competitive handicap scores and tourneys ..than I will have to switch.

Sort of to mystery meat's point ... I think the golfing world (USGA) needs to understand that there needs to be rules for recreational golfers that may differ from that of a touring pro ... if a belly putter enhances a recreational golfers game and in fact; maybe helps overcome a physical limitation then please allow it ... who really cares if a high handicapper weekend golfer is using a belly putter? Other major sports have different rules as well ... why not golf?

OK ... with that said, and perhaps back on topic ... I agree at the Pro level they should not be allowed, and while I did not research how they got introduced, I was surprised the first time I saw them in use ...

Back