TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

if you get a chance, see if you can take a swing with the stock graphite with them. Really interested in that combo as I am leaning that way heavily for the MC.

The ones I hit at the Kingdom had the stock graphite shafts. They had a good weighting and felt very solid IMO.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

The ones I hit at the Kingdom had the stock graphite shafts. They had a good weighting and felt very solid IMO.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

do you remember any of the numbers with them? Like torque rating?

I'm really hoping they have them in the fitting cart. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get fit for SpeedBlades and hope it translates to the SLDRs.

I'm really hoping they have them in the fitting cart. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get fit for SpeedBlades and hope it translates to the SLDRs.

None of the places near me have them yet either. I think using the Speedblades for your fitting will work out great.

None of the places near me have them yet either. I think using the Speedblades for your fitting will work out great.

I think for those who aren't able to find the SLDR iron head, this would be a very viable alternative. The spin on the heads may not be exactly the same but they're close enough for a fitter to be able to work with it.

I think for those who aren't able to find the SLDR iron head, this would be a very viable alternative. The spin on the heads may not be exactly the same but they're close enough for a fitter to be able to work with it.

Aren't the shaft lengths and lofts closer to the CB than the Speedblade?

I ended up using the SB for my fitting. They did have a demo SLDR 7 iron though. It's a beauty of a club. It felt really good off the face to me, but it was definitely lower and shorter than the SB for me.

I ended up using the SB for my fitting. They did have a demo SLDR 7 iron though. It's a beauty of a club. It felt really good off the face to me, but it was definitely lower and shorter than the SB for me.

Excited to hear about your fitting and what you end up with.

Aren't the shaft lengths and lofts closer to the CB than the Speedblade?

Lofts are about 1-1.5 degrees off. Not massive differences.

Shaft lengths, everything I play is under standard so that's not an issue for me either.

Excited to hear about your fitting and what you end up with.

It was a little underwhelming really, he told me my swing speed was too low to take advantage of the custom shafts so I needed to go with the stock shaft and everything. So basically it was just a length and lie check, which I could have got a lot cheaper at my local golf store.

I don't believe that for one bit (comment about swing speed)

It was a little underwhelming really, he told me my swing speed was too low to take advantage of the custom shafts so I needed to go with the stock shaft and everything. So basically it was just a length and lie check, which I could have got a lot cheaper at my local golf store.

Where did you get fit?

I don't believe that for one bit (comment about swing speed)

I don't either, not with the irons.

He was looking for a lightweight steel shaft for me because I needed + 1". He said the stock shaft was lighter than any of the upgraded shafts.

He was looking for a lightweight steel shaft for me because I needed + 1". He said the stock shaft was lighter than any of the upgraded shafts.

With our options your lightweight choices are probably down to Ctaper 90, Tour 90, and Nippon 950. So From that perspective he is probably right then.

Got it. I was thinking more for the woods then the irons, the stock shaft is legit.

Where did you get fit?

It wasn't what I had planned, but I got fit at Golf Galaxy. I wanted to wait until I knew what our club options were to get fit, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea. With the time window that I had to work with, this was my best option. I went with the platinum fitting so I would be fit by the pro and not one of the salesmen, and I had had lessons from him in the past so I thought it might actually be an advantage since he was familiar with my swing.

Got it. I was thinking more for the woods then the irons, the stock shaft is legit.

He didn't even bother having me hit anything but stock in the woods, but that's for a different thread.

That kind of stinks with the fitting Andy, did he let you try those 3 shafts Dean was talking about?

This really tells the story, the TM Morgan Cup guys are in for a treat!

"Because of the SLDR iron’s classic shaping, slim topline and thin sole – which add to the iron’s overall beauty and promote keen response and playability – the company anticipates strong interest from its PGA Tour Professional Staff. The first time SLDR irons will be available on Tour will be at the Byron Nelson Championship, May 15-18. The modern-classic shape and design combined with advanced performance technology make SLDR irons playable for both PGA Tour Professionals and high-handicap golfers."

He didn't even bother having me hit anything but stock in the woods, but that's for a different thread.

If you need any help sorting out options that may work, let me know. Sounds like you got a guy who just didn't give a crap about taking care of you.

It wasn't what I had planned, but I got fit at Golf Galaxy. I wanted to wait until I knew what our club options were to get fit, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea. With the time window that I had to work with, this was my best option. I went with the platinum fitting so I would be fit by the pro and not one of the salesmen, and I had had lessons from him in the past so I thought it might actually be an advantage since he was familiar with my swing.

Do you have any numbers with the SLDR irons? the guys here who are in the know can dial you right in.

He does know shafts come in more than X-Stiff, right?

Do you have any numbers with the SLDR irons? the guys here who are in the know can dial you right in.

The only numbers I would have would be for the SB's. The SLDR was only a demo and not part of the fitting. I'll have to look when I get home from work, I know he jotted down some members, but I didn't get a chance to look at them yet.

Back