That's awesome Ricky!

Whoa dev, dad of the year material right there. Don't even know where you'd find that. Nice work Ricky.

It was a chore. I had to go to a few stores. Target had 2 left according to their website. I went and couldn't find it. The guy had to go in back and get them for me. And as I walked to the register I got asked 5 times where I got them from. I thought I was going to get mugged.

Happy snowman! Great stuff Ricky. It's awesome to see them light up so much.

Just left a consult with my daughter's orthodontist. They're recommending she have surgery on both of her jaws up in Boston in a few years. The details of what they'll do were... not pretty. But she seems to be on board with it. Not sure how much of it is her actually wanting it done, and how much of it is her thinking "sure I'll agree now, it's years away, not like I have to worry about it yet." The issue too is if insurance will cover it. If not, it's going to be a hefty 5 figure sum right when she's a year or two away from starting college and she's definitely going to end up looking different based on the before/after photos the ortho showed us.

All kinds of good stuff today with the kids. The day started with me heading down to the waterfront to meet my son for lunch (his class was on a field trip). Later it was golf mostly together. It ended with me standing with Michael and awarding him his Webelos badge.

I miss my kiddos, looking forward to spending the next 4 days with them for sure.

My daughter from this:
qe2ynatu.jpg

To this:
u7amyvan.jpg

My son from this:
mata3u2a.jpg

To this:
e4a8epe2.jpg

To those with young kids, continue to indulge as I'm sure you all are. Because they do, in fact, grow up way too fast.

I'm enjoying every second of the young man and young woman they've become. But man, do I miss my little ones....

Great pictures WMac...I'm dreading mine growing up so fast. My big boy turns six this week and I can't figure out how that is possible.

Just left a consult with my daughter's orthodontist. They're recommending she have surgery on both of her jaws up in Boston in a few years. The details of what they'll do were... not pretty. But she seems to be on board with it. Not sure how much of it is her actually wanting it done, and how much of it is her thinking "sure I'll agree now, it's years away, not like I have to worry about it yet." The issue too is if insurance will cover it. If not, it's going to be a hefty 5 figure sum right when she's a year or two away from starting college and she's definitely going to end up looking different based on the before/after photos the ortho showed us.

That sounds rough. What's the reason for the need of surgery, if you don't mind me asking?

That sounds rough. What's the reason for the need of surgery, if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all! Her upper jaw has grown down too far, which has impacted how her bottom jaw has grown as well. When she smiles, all you see are her upper gums. Long term, there really aren't any major health issues, but eventually she may have jaw soreness later on in life. Plus, it's a big self esteem issue as well, which we're already dealing with on her birthmark surgeries.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Wow that's crazy. Well hopefully she really is on board, and not just shaking it off since it's a ways away. It will be scary when it comes for sure, but being cool with it should help make the process easier, I think. And hopefully your insurance covers it! Are they saying it's not medically necessary? That's the only reason I could think they wouldn't cover it.

Yikes, Russ, sorry to hear that. I really hope everything turns out okay. First, obviously with her health and that you guys see the benefits you speak of. And secondly with the insurance to cover the cost. Hopefully it is obvious this is medically necessary and not just cosmetic.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and perspective, Wmac. That actually made me a little sad...don't want mine to grow up just yet.

According to her ortho, the surgeons they recommend up at Tufts and Mass General do excellent work and they're really good about how they file their consult notes with the insurance carriers. They refer patients all the time up there, and can only think of a handful of times in the past 15 years that insurance wouldn't cover anything. We're still looking at some costs out of pocket though most likely, like "more than a cheap used car" costs. In all honesty, I don't mind that, it's the aspect of my little girl going into surgery and coming out looking different that is the hardest thing for me right now.

We're going to talk about it some more, then most likely schedule a consult and see how it goes.

Do you know if it would go through your regular health insurance or your dental?

Do you know if it would go through your regular health insurance or your dental?

Regular since it's considered major surgery.

Regular since it's considered major surgery.

Don't know what your insurance options are or what they will be, but my advice would be to look into an HMO. Maybe only for the year of the surgery if you don't like them otherwise. My wife and I happened to switch to an HMO this year to save a little $ monthly in exchange for a little more work to make Dr visits. With the stuff that popped up with our daughter, the HMO has already saved us $27k in expenses, and there's still more coming this year. We've had copays and that's it, for $127k in services.

Thanks for the advice. We have pretty good coverage, as we've learned with all the laser surgeries. So hopefully we'll be good.

How's your little girl been doing??

Thanks for the advice. We have pretty good coverage, as we've learned with all the laser surgeries. So hopefully we'll be good.

How's your little girl been doing??

No prob. Doing pretty well considering. Her old personality is back and has recently gained some function back in her hand, which is awesome. The Drs, PTs, and OTs are all impressed with how strong she is and how fast she's gaining stuff back.

Great pictures WMac...I'm dreading mine growing up so fast. My big boy turns six this week and I can't figure out how that is possible.

Thanks and just wait. When they go to HS, time magically, somehow, moves even faster!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and perspective, Wmac. That actually made me a little sad...don't want mine to grow up just yet.

The only sadness I have is in looking back, that's why I practically plead to my friends with young kids to never let the routine of work and life, impede unless necessary.

I was a cop in the Bronx and I always worked overtime. Much of the extra money I made went toward the kids' college fund, the rest toward the family and house.. The OT was a necessity for both the present and the future and I virtually used all of my vacation time on family activities. But still, in perusing old photo albums, there's so many more fun activities jumping from the pages where I was absent. My wife is a tremendous wife/mom and tireless worker yet she always found the time even when I could not.

My wife requested that I not work for a while after retirement so she could advance her career. I did so eagerly because I knew that although their younger years flashed by me, I had an opportunity to more deeply forge my relationship with the kids.

3.5 years now. Lauren turns 17 on Sunday. Always eager to help out and share a laugh. We've bonded over this time and she's admitted that I'm the first person she turns to for advice. My wife reunctantly conceded the same a while back.

Sean will be 19 in August and just completed his freshman year at NC State School of Engineering. He pulled a 3.8. He's the model son, I couldn't possibly fathom any better. We workout together and can talk for hours.

Last week, I was in the kitchen while he was shooting hoops with a neighbor in the driveway when I heard his friend ask Sean who his best friends were. He rattled off 5 or 6 people including the neighbor buddy.

But the first person he mentioned was, "my dad."

I shed a tear of pride then as I am now in recalling the moment.

I love this post, WMac. We can't change what's happened in the past but we can be self aware and adjust going forward. Kudos to you for doing so. I LOVE that it has paid off for you in the way it has regarding your relationship with your kids. Great, great stuff. Good for you.

I love this post, WMac. We can't change what's happened in the past but we can be self aware and adjust going forward. Kudos to you for doing so. I LOVE that it has paid off for you in the way it has regarding your relationship with your kids. Great, great stuff. Good for you.

Much thanks!!! ?

We have two preschool "graduates" now! The great story from this is this: The children are asked to say what they want to be when they grow up and the answer was printed on their mini-mortar boards. He said that when he grows up he wants to be happy. 5 years old and already has his head screwed on right.

IMG_0289.jpg

Back