Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

qe3y9yva.jpg

You can pretty much see where I got my Altitudes. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The P and D are straight beasts for me. Whether I am using them for full shots or the prettiest little bump and runs when you have some green to work with, they are just great. And yes, like all the clubs, they are longer than my old set by at least 10 yards. Example, my pitching wedge went from being my 95-100 yard club to my 110-115 yard club. My drop wedge (approach wedge, whatever) went from being an 85-90 yard club to being a 95-105 yard club.

My current gap wedge is an 80-85 yard club. I dropped 3 straight range (practice) balls into this rain puddle (say 10 yards wide) last night at 95 yards using the D wedge.

There are two negatives to the D wedge that I see versus my current gap wedge. The first is pitching -- I can pitch quite well with my current gap wedge. The second is just gapping. If I do the D wedge and can hit it 95 yards on a good strike, but then my next wedge down is say a Smart Sole S that goes about 65, then that's a 30 yard gap.

My current gap wedge is an 80-85 yard club. I dropped 3 straight range (practice) balls into this rain puddle (say 10 yards wide) last night at 95 yards using the D wedge.

There are two negatives to the D wedge that I see versus my current gap wedge. The first is pitching -- I can pitch quite well with my current gap wedge. The second is just gapping. If I do the D wedge and can hit it 95 yards on a good strike, but then my next wedge down is say a Smart Sole S that goes about 65, then that's a 30 yard gap.

I have a gapping issue as well. My 56 deg. wedge is a 65-70 yard club.

Have you done much pitching with your pitching wedge? I have found that I can be deadly around the greens with it, especially if I have some green to work with; and I get just a hair more roll out with it over the D wedge. Funny enough though, I did hole out today to save par with my D wedge. I use those two clubs a lot on shots within 50 yards.

At some point this summer when I have refilled the coffers for more clubs, I plan on trying out some Scor Wedges to gap the bottom of my bag appropriately. I think that should be a deadly combo for me.

I have a gapping issue as well. My 56 deg. wedge is a 65-70 yard club.

Have you done much pitching with your pitching wedge? I have found that I can be deadly around the greens with it, especially if I have some green to work with; and I get just a hair more roll out with it over the D wedge. Funny enough though, I did hole out today to save par with my D wedge. I use those two clubs a lot on shots within 50 yards.

Unfortunately my local course/practice area has no real good spot to practice pitching. I'm hoping on the home setup I am working on that I can incorporate pitching drills in (similar to what people are doing with the Voice Caddie SC100 in practice mode). Maybe I can get comfortable as comfortable with the P or D as I am with my current gap wedge.

The thing I like about my current gap wedge is the setup and alignment. It really makes pitching easier.

I'll see this weekend if that gap is actually an issue. One of my friends on here says that you aren't comfortable in a gap, then just don't leave yourself in it. It kind of makes sense.

I had the same problem so I got the Alt S wedge it plays exactly the same as the D just 10 meters shorter

Those scores are awesome Acuna! I hit my buddies 5i last night after league and remembered what I loved about them. So easy to hit and the forgiveness is unreal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

First round of the year. Quick range session before hand, and then I was really surprised. Straight, barring a major swing screw up. No hesitation with having to compensate for my normal fade. Everything went high and straight. Exactly what I was looking for!

It's funny I've been struggling with these off the turf so much so that I ordered a 6i 588MT to match my 7 and 8 as I hit those so well. Today for whatever I clicked with the Tudes and nailed every shot I used them for off the turf. Funny game.

Hit an my 6 iron today still hate them and make me ponder the tudes even more

Had an 86 off the stick today 5 under my handicap with 44 stableford points including a 7 on the last hole pulling my 4 hybrid out of bounds lucky it is the hardest hole on the course and I get 2 shots on it and salvaged 1 point on it due to a great shot from 70 meters out with the Alt S.

Hit an my 6 iron today still hate them and make me ponder the tudes even more

If you were a lefty I could hook you up with a demo club:bicker:

Looks like the X Hot 4 hybrid is going to get knocked out of the bag by an Altitude 4 iron as I can hit the Altitude 5 iron the same distance as the X Hot 4 hybrid :)

Looks like the X Hot 4 hybrid is going to get knocked out of the bag by an Altitude 4 iron as I can hit the Altitude 5 iron the same distance as the X Hot 4 hybrid :)

I found the Xhot 4 and the Alt 4 to be pretty much equal, the X2 hot being around 7 yds longer on occasion.

I found the Xhot 4 and the Alt 4 to be pretty much equal, the X2 hot being around 7 yds longer on occasion.

That's what I thought also but I proved that wrong today on several occasions I hit two balls one with the X Hot 4 hybrid and the other with the Alt 5 and on every occasion they were equal give or take a meter or two. Maybe because my X Hot 4 hybrid is 1" shorter than standard.

That's what I thought also but I proved that wrong today on several occasions I hit two balls one with the X Hot 4 hybrid and the other with the Alt 5 and on every occasion they were equal give or take a meter or two.

Nothing like real world results. The numbers I'm talking were on an LM.

I just edited that post I forget to mention the 4 hybrid is 1" shorter than standard.

Had an 86 off the stick today 5 under my handicap with 44 stableford points including a 7 on the last hole pulling my 4 hybrid out of bounds lucky it is the hardest hole on the course and I get 2 shots on it and salvaged 1 point on it due to a great shot from 70 meters out with the Alt S.

What are stableford points?

What are stableford points?

It's a scoring system where you get points depending on what score you get on a hole you get 1 point for a bogie, 2 points for a par, 3 points for a birdie, 4 points for an albratros....etc, your handicap is taken off of the par for the hole, so if it was a par 5 and you had a 6 but you got given 2 shots for your handicap that would be a net 4 which is a birdie so you would get 3 points.

Had a good day with the Tudes today. 4i came on strong today, twice had 190yds into the wind and stuck it within 10ft, last one about 3ft. Hit the 5i twice also and had good results, didn't hit the 6i today tha I can remember.

It's a scoring system where you get points depending on what score you get on a hole you get 1 point for a bogie, 2 points for a par, 3 points for a birdie, 4 points for an albratros....etc, your handicap is taken off of the par for the hole, so if it was a par 5 and you had a 6 but you got given 2 shots for your handicap that would be a net 4 which is a birdie so you would get 3 points.

Thanks

I played 36 holes yesterday and my Alti 4 and 5 were spectacular for me. For some reason, most of the par 3's fell into the range for these clubs, and I was very happy with a lot of GIR's. Confidence is through the roof with these. I focus on a nice wide turn, get my hands nice and high, and let gravity take over, watching these put a great flight on the ball. As my irons started falling apart a little, I started focusing on making sure I was able to hit these on every hole. No joke, I can only think of one mis hit off the top of my head and it was in deep rough, and all it did was stay low, falling short of the green.

I am seriously pondering the 6i, but am wondering if anyone can tell me what differences there are between the standard graphite shaft and the C. Kua. I have C. Kuas now and am wondering if I should stay consistent, or just go with stock.

I don't know why I don't get a whole set, but I'm not ruling it out either.

I played 36 holes yesterday and my Alti 4 and 5 were spectacular for me. For some reason, most of the par 3's fell into the range for these clubs, and I was very happy with a lot of GIR's. Confidence is through the roof with these. I focus on a nice wide turn, get my hands nice and high, and let gravity take over, watching these put a great flight on the ball. As my irons started falling apart a little, I started focusing on making sure I was able to hit these on every hole. No joke, I can only think of one mis hit off the top of my head and it was in deep rough, and all it did was stay low, falling short of the green.

I am seriously pondering the 6i, but am wondering if anyone can tell me what differences there are between the standard graphite shaft and the C. Kua. I have C. Kuas now and am wondering if I should stay consistent, or just go with stock.

I don't know why I don't get a whole set, but I'm not ruling it out either.

I have the c kua in my 3i, and there's not a lot of difference at all. Maybe a bit lower ball flight at most.

Alt S from 110 on my practice hole session this evening after the storms blew over. I thought it was going in.
enuguta4.jpg

Tappin pars

So on Friday I stuck the DW to 4 feet from 100yards twice. My playing partners noticed it, I didn't think much of it.

Looking at my card today, I realized by sticking it that close, and then sinking the ensuing putts, that I had my first two birdies of the year, in my first round of the year, on my 3rd and 7th holes of the year. (Years of playing this course and I somehow thought a tricky short par 4 was actually a par 3 LOL).

I never could have imagined such a great start to my season, and it was extra special considering I had swung the altitudes for the first time maybe 45 minutes before teeing off.

Anyone coming to indy have a set of these? I'd love to play a full round sat or sun with em

Back