THP Tech Talk - Driver CG Location

Wow tons on knowledge being dropped in the video, best video I've ever seen relating to CG, moi, gear effect, forgiveness and distance gains.

Interesting that Rickie is high launch high spin and that forward CG is better for this type of player.

Very good info and he made it really easy to understand. Very cool.

Nothing but facts right there, hopefully putting to rest alot of the false statements floating around on the intetwebs. Such a cool guy to talk to we could have stayed in there for hours.

And you guys should have seen my face when he first did the CG trick, I was giddy like a little kid.

Nothing but facts right there, hopefully putting to rest alot of the false statements floating around on the intetwebs. Such a cool guy to talk to we could have stayed in there for hours.

And you guys should have seen my face when he first did the CG trick, I was giddy like a little kid.
Buddy I'm thinking you were giddy all week! And rightfully so I may add

Silly question....should the discussion and questions from this video be directed towards Cobra equipment....or are questions about other equipment cool?

This video was about drivers in general. Talk away.

Was TO involved in the design of the Bio Cell line, or was he still at TM during the design? Guy has a wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

He was still at TaylorMade, but in speaking with him, that was something important to his coming on board...Believing in the design and philosophy of the company he was headed to.

Wow tons on knowledge being dropped in the video, best video I've ever seen relating to CG, moi, gear effect, forgiveness and distance gains.

Interesting that Rickie is high launch high spin and that forward CG is better for this type of player.

One key note is that he believes it is ONLY better for that type of player that does not miss the sweet spot.

I posted it in the appropriate thread... But here ya go in case it stimulated more constructive discussion.
I've got some questions about COG as it pertains to my gamer. And what is really happening when I move weights and things of that nature.

With tho the weight ports I currently have the heavier weight in the port towards the toe. The difference between the two weights in my Alpha is 2 grams....so essentially the affected weight differential is 2 grams to towards the toe. How much does that affect COG?

Also, with the Gravity Core....the difference between up and down is roughly 300 rpm. So that is manipulating the COG in the face to trailing edge axis correct? Which in turn is reprinted in the gearing affect?

The Gravity Core being 300 rpms is obviously a spin number that will differ depending on the player. That being said, it changes the CG placement quite a bit.
The movement of weight from heel to toe, will absolutely impact the way the club comes into the impact zone.

The Gravity Core being 300 rpms is obviously a spin number that will differ depending on the player. That being said, it changes the CG placement quite a bit.
The movement of weight from heel to toe, will absolutely impact the way the club comes into the impact zone.
The fact that he's talking millimeters with regards to how it effects the performance of a club in an everyday players hands is pretty cool. It really speaks volumes to the advantages of adjustability. And to think I was a nay sayer to this technology when it first appeared on the market. What the hell was I thinking

Very informative video, well done!

Finally was able to watch this in its entirety. Great video, and some good knowledge to arm yourself with in there.

I've seen where the "low and forward" company has acknowledged that the gains on center strikes off set the known losses on toe and heel strikes. Are they just hoping that everyone will start hitting the center more consistently? Or just decided to focus only on the small percentage of center strikers? Is that another reason they are having "loft up"?

Just seems to me that having the CoG back slightly to allow for a modicum of forgiveness on mishits would be ideal. Because even the guys that are wearing out the center occasionally get one on the toe or in the heel.

Great video though. I feel I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous now. I hope that's a good thing. LOL

Freaking LOVE this.

So much in here, the fact that club design is the battle for GRAMS throughout a head and that is a big reason why we see changes in adapters and such, every gram honestly does count but until people hear it directly from the brains behind designs they never really appreciate that.

You need the forgiveness, you're going to lose a massive mount of distance because your average drive is not in the center"

I love this, this was referencing the low/forward CG like the SLDR compared to other drivers with go for low/middle-back CG. The fact that FROM ONE OF THE BEST CLUB DESIGNERS IN THE GAME that low and forward DOES impact the MOI and it DOES cause a loss of ball speed retention off of the middle of the face which most think about as FORGIVENESS. I honestly hope everyone watches this video for that if nothing else. Add in the comparison to front CG to a blade 1i and WOW!

Seriously, just PACKED with info in only a few short minutes. I could literally listen to TO talk all day on stuff like this.

Jman,
This also coming from a brand that has a low and forward driver.
Made for a very interesting day and speaking with TO on a personal level for hours only makes one smarter. Not only is he one of the best, he has worked with the best at multiple companies including Titleist and TaylorMade as well as now Cobra.

Jman,
This also coming from a brand that has a low and forward driver.
Made for a very interesting day and speaking with TO on a personal level for hours only makes one smarter. Not only is he one of the best, he has worked with the best at multiple companies including Titleist and TaylorMade as well as now Cobra.

That was what struck me the most, they HAVE the low/forward driver out there in the Bio Pro but they still understand and embrace that there must be other offerings and CG configurations for AVERAGE golfers to get the most out of a club based on their swings and consistency/inconsistency at the middle of the clubface.

Seriously, I've watched it three times now, I freaking adore this.

If nothing else this video tells me that at the very least Cobra gets it, Taylormade does not. You just absolutely CANNOT only sell drivers that are real hard to hit consistently for the average golfer.

Great video. Wealth of information.

That was what struck me the most, they HAVE the low/forward driver out there in the Bio Pro but they still understand and embrace that there must be other offerings and CG configurations for AVERAGE golfers to get the most out of a club based on their swings and consistency/inconsistency at the middle of the clubface.

Seriously, I've watched it three times now, I freaking adore this.

Absolutely this. Cobra's Bio Cell offerings really can fit a broad spectrum of players.

We are in a great time for golf equipment. There are plenty of options to suit all players. No one company is doing things better then the others, they all are just offering solutions they feel work best.

We are in a great time for golf equipment. There are plenty of options to suit all players. No one company is doing things better then the others, they all are just offering solutions they feel work best.

TO did not really address companies, but it is hard to say all companies are even (generalization), when some offer options and others do not. Meaning if one company offers a single philosophy, and that philosophy is lacking in certain places, for certain golfers, it would be hard to say they are on the same playing feild as far as options go.

My opinion anyway, and certainly not directed at any specific company, because I think it fits the bill for quite a few.

TO did not really address companies, but it is hard to say all companies are even (generalization), when some offer options and others do not. Meaning if one company offers a single philosophy, and that philosophy is lacking in certain places, for certain golfers, it would be hard to say they are on the same playing feild as far as options go.

My opinion anyway, and certainly not directed at any specific company, because I think it fits the bill for quite a few.

And I am sure TaylorMade has engineers and designers that would support their ideas as being best for the majority of golfers as well. I can only speak to my own experiences with both clubs that the Bio Cell series didn't work for me, yet I have had success with the SLDR.

Still, I love this type of content and knowledge and certainly can see the effects of the information TO is providing. Keep it up, I look forward to more information like this.

And I am sure TaylorMade has engineers and designers that would support their ideas as being best for the majority of golfers as well. I can only speak to my own experiences with both clubs that the Bio Cell series didn't work for me, yet I have had success with the SLDR.

Still, I love this type of content and knowledge and certainly can see the effects of the information TO is providing. Keep it up, I look forward to more information like this.

This was not about TaylorMade vs anybody else.
Hell, the guy in the video, was at TaylorMade during the design of their latest driver offering (he was a pretty big deal there).
Its about CG, and creating options that help the majority of golfers.
We are way past the era of one size fits all regardless of company.

watched this again. just makes so much sense on launch. jealous of you mikedean getting to hang out and hear all of that

There is going to be a lot more coming with TO throughout 2014. So much knowledge and being able to grab some of it and pass it on to readers is very special.

There is going to be a lot more coming with TO throughout 2014. So much knowledge and being able to grab some of it and pass it on to readers is very special.

Best part is, the way he presents it is easily understandable for anyone. I've heard other R&D guys talk about CG before but making it more easily accessible and understandable is a huge deal IMO.

I have to wonder if Cobra is going to join the trend of sliding adjustable weights. It seems they are doing just fine without all of that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Back