Wrists in chipping

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
I've been struggling with consistency in my chipping and had a short game lesson this week where my coach told me to hinge my wrists more. I don't know where I got the idea, but thought keeping my wrists quiet would improve consistency, but that's not how he was teaching it. Wanted to poll the audience and see how you guys do it. In practicing, I'm seeing quiet wrists = lower flight, while active wrists really pop the ball up. I think both shots are good to have in my repertoire, but just wanted to see what you guys thought, or had as your go-to when chipping.

For chipping I delft the crap out the club by moving my hands forward and hinging the wrists, then just make a putting stroke.

Anything other than that I consider a pitch shot.

I got sucked into the firm, no-wrist chipping idea and it pretty much ruined my chipping for a few years. I have gone back to a more relaxed hinging of the wrists and I'm starting to feel the club head again. I also stand a lot taller and feel as though my arms are hanging longer and extended somewhat. It really helps me feel the club going back and I can just let it all fall into the back of the ball. I'm close to getting back on track with my chipping. I just need to re-learn my backswing to distance/carry relationship.

Depending on length of chip, I'll hinge on the back swing and hold going through. Shorter chips, no hinge. For me anyway, the more active the wrists in chipping, the better your timing has to be. Since I don't have multiple hours a day to work on perfecting timing, I try to keep things as simple as possible.

For me quiet hands, but hinged wrists. It's more of a straight back swing with shoulder rotation, but no to limited body rotation. When I finish the club head is out in front of me and you could sit something on top of the club face (a glass of water, etc... <-- not really, but it's a common way to explain the finish position). It's more of what you'd see if you youtube videos for using the bounce when chipping.

Since switching to this method I find that the ball does fly higher, but it's easier to be accurate with and the ball usually bounces one or two times and stops. It's more of a lob shot with enough spin to keep the ball from rolling out much at all. I don't really see enough back spin to have the ball head back in my direction though.

I use the shaft forward, heal up, putting-like stroke with my PW-7 iron when I'm a few feet off the green and want the ball to land quickly and then roll out the rest of the distance. I use the charts that you can find online for ratios. Like PW is 1:1 air to roll, 9i is 1:2, 8i is 1:3, 7i is 1:4, etc. Where the first part of the ratio is distance in the air/off the ground, and the second part is distance for the roll out. So with a PW, if you hit it hard enough for it to be in the air for 2 yards it should roll out around 2 yards. If you hit it hard enough for it to fly 5 yards, it should roll out 5 yards.

I'm also in the forward press/quiet wrists camp. I'll push my hands forward to get a bit of set, then just rock my shoulders. I've tried being wristy and using the bounce when I need a soft landing, but I just can't get it to work more than a few times. So I go with soft chips using the pre-set wrists.

For me, it's a need to feel the weight of the club in my fingers. If I can't, I tend to get a little panicky and will flinch at them. I wish I could just set the wrists and forget them, but I was just never able to chip that way.

I'm also in the forward press/quiet wrists camp. I'll push my hands forward to get a bit of set, then just rock my shoulders. I've tried being wristy and using the bounce when I need a soft landing, but I just can't get it to work more than a few times. So I go with soft chips using the pre-set wrists.

I used to hinge my wrists with no problems, although this year I was blading all of my chips. I switched over to the straighter quieter wrists and have really improved my short game.

I do both. There are certain shots which I think require the hinging of the wrists, and there are times where I think quiet wrists are the way to go. Just depends on the situation.

I use all kind of motions and sometimes I get confused and use the wrong one. A wood chop, a high follow through, a putting type motion.

This is what I wanna try going forward, a single swing on every play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WNR5GaZLg

I've heard about this method too, and that's quite different than what my pro told me I should do. He almost encouraged the flipping method, almost like a flop shot all the time. Not sure if it will produce much backspin or not, but sure lofts the ball.

I have very quiet wrist on chip shots. I use face manipulation to vary my trajectory. Quiet hands and wrist allow for consistent distances and results.

Wrist hinge can really make one in consistent especially on shots around the green that require so much touch and soft hands.

I do hinge my wrists a bit during the backswing when chipping. But I hold that angle during the downward strike at impact. The severity of hinge depends upon club and distance. Soft hands, always. A firm grip is death to the chip shot, imo.

Soft hands, always. A firm grip is death to the chip shot, imo.

I think a firm/hard swing is death to the chip shot as well. For me, it's a pretty lazy swing and I still find the distance I need. A swing that is too hard/quick leads to a lot of problems for me.

I have very quiet wrist on chip shots. I use face manipulation to vary my trajectory. Quiet hands and wrist allow for consistent distances and results.

Wrist hinge can really make one in consistent especially on shots around the green that require so much touch and soft hands.

Was hoping u would say this. When I hinge it makes it way too easy for me to flip my hands

Was hoping u would say this. When I hinge it makes it way too easy for me to flip my hands

I find this to be true for me as well. As few moving parts as possible for the finesse shots is what I find equals most consistent results

I find this to be true for me as well. As few moving parts as possible for the finesse shots is what I find equals most consistent results

The one thing my old pro tried to en grain was to "keep the triangle" made from the arms on the chip shots. Usually works unless I pull a dumb move and look up early

The one thing my old pro tried to en grain was to "keep the triangle" made from the arms on the chip shots. Usually works unless I pull a dumb move and look up early

The triangle is a key focus of mine as well, has made a HUGE difference for me too. I can actually feel where I'm at, just have to not decel.

God I hate the decel.

The triangle is a key focus of mine as well, has made a HUGE difference for me too. I can actually feel where I'm at, just have to not decel.

God I hate the decel.

Oh yeah deceleration too cripples me.

Funny story I hit a shot Tuesday and managed to not decel and by gawd the ball actually spun backwards on the green. Weird how there is a correlation.

Oh yeah deceleration too cripples me.

Funny story I hit a shot Tuesday and managed to not decel and by gawd the ball actually spun backwards on the green. Weird how there is a correlation.

Isn't it funny how that works? I had that moment on a 20 yard shot the other day, all I could do is laugh.

Same here. My thoughts are the triangle, plus staying connected. Specifically, trying to keep the biceps on or close to the chest.

I try to keep my wrists as quiet as possible. My thoughts are maintain the angle (no flipping) & keep the club head moving through the zone (no decel). I'm learning to trust the swing and the results it will produce. Of course old habits kick in and I get too cute or decel & bad stuff is the result.

If im not thinking about generally my chipping is good! If im having an off day my only thought is to get my hands in front of the ball at impact, if that makes any sense? The only time I think about getting wristy/handsy is if I need a high/flop style of shot.

Back