Short and tight course tomorrow!

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
This should be interesting. Playing a small municipal course with my dad and his friends tomorrow. It's 5104 from the back tees. Par 68 with a 64/111 rating. It's tree and water lines holes mostly. 2 fairly long par 5s and a handful of par 3s. In theory it should be a pretty easy day but it's tight here! It will be a nice challenge and opportunity to work on some shot making. I plan to go with some long irons or hybrids off the tees on the par 4s and probably a 3w on the par 5s.....they both dogleg so a driver would be a gamble for me.

At first I was bummed about playing here because it's a shorty but now I'm looking at it as a chance to work on some things I wouldn't ordinarily do.

My dad will probably tear it up - he's a single digit HC right now. His friends are more like me in HC - 15 and they are much older obviously.

What's the shortest course (from the backs) that you've all played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun. I have played many at that distance, but to be fair, most did not have a par 68. It means that the par 4s are really short. Should give you a good chance to work on irons off the tee and playing to a nice comfortable number and taking chances where they pop up.

I went and played a very short course last year. I had just received MC driver, so instead of doing what JB said I pulled driver on every hole and fired at the greens, had a ton of fun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I played a course somewhat like this today. I only played driver once. It was a very interesting lesson in the value / benefits of course management.

The course I play the most, which is right down the street from me, is 5,5655 yards and par 70. The holes are all tight in next to each other, so you have to be *very* straight off the tee on the par 4s and 5s. I play my 3w a lot off the tee, there's really only one hole that has a wide fairway so you're not too heavily penalized if you tend to go right or left. There's only 3 holes that I'm OK with pulling driver on, and 1 of those I'll pull 3w if I know the driver and I aren't getting along that day. Lots of hybrid and 5i use on the tees as well.

The course I play the most, which is right down the street from me, is 5,5655 yards and par 70. The holes are all tight in next to each other, so you have to be *very* straight off the tee on the par 4s and 5s. I play my 3w a lot off the tee, there's really only one hole that has a wide fairway so you're not too heavily penalized if you tend to go right or left. There's only 3 holes that I'm OK with pulling driver on, and 1 of those I'll pull 3w if I know the driver and I aren't getting along that day. Lots of hybrid and 5i use on the tees as well.

Holy crap thats a long course! Lol i guess theres an extra 5 in there ;)

I went and played a very short course last year. I had just received MC driver, so instead of doing what JB said I pulled driver on every hole and fired at the greens, had a ton of fun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

There's two par 4s than are reachable for me with a driver. Nothing really trouble wise except a bunker on each. One is the first hole so while tempting, it's still daunting without being in a mid game rhythm. The other one is towards the middle of the back I believe so that might be something to go after depending in how the round is going. This will be a challenge even on the par 3s - All of which are either raised greens or tee boxes so club selection is crucial.

A good test in course management and club selection - looking forward to it.

Holy crap thats a long course! Lol i guess theres an extra 5 in there ;)

D'oh!!!!! Yep, it's 5,655 yards. Definitely an extra five in there.

Sorry, the wine bottle got opened early tonight :drinks:

Theres a course near here that plays 5667 from the blues, It's a par 70. There use to be a couple of 9 hole executive courses in the area that I'm sure played even shorter than that, but that's the shortest 18 hole course I've played.

Welll, didn't go as great as I had hoped. 10 penalty strokes really killed my game. I did make some nice shots and enjoyed the practice on the short game but by my standards this wasn't good! I broke 90 but on a short course like this I expect better of myself!

I wouldn't worry about the score too much. Just as long doesn't mean hard. Short doesn't mean easy.

Love to play short courses, really changes the way you normally play which can only make you a better golf. O yea, you still have to put the ball in the hole.

I wouldn't worry about the score too much. Just as long doesn't mean hard. Short doesn't mean easy.

Yeah I know it's just an ego thing. I am happy with my chipping and putting game. I had several up and downs just not for par because of the penalties.

I had a good laugh on 18 too when I hit the straightest drive all day into a 6' diameter sink hole in the middle if the fairway. Ground under repair?

Love to play short courses, really changes the way you normally play which can only make you a better golf. O yea, you still have to put the ball in the hole.

It really does make you stop and think things through. I watched my dad take a driver out in some holes that I hit a hybrid because I love 140-145 approach shots. I feel like that's right in my wheelhouse that I can take a full swing and not try anything too crazy. I hate the 50-75 yarders he had much of the day.

Back