Bridgestone True Balance Putters - Forum Review

I'm finding a similar experience. The slower the green, the more force i have to generate to get the ball to the hole, and the greater I fall out of my stroke with the TD-03. I'm not seeing it as a necessarily bad thing, I just find that it's harder to maintain my intended stroke pendulum when I am quite far away or putting on slower greens.

Inside ten feet it's exceptional, even on slower greens. I'm not finding the putter wander offline much at all - It's almost like auto pilot from those ranges.

I'll repeat the broken record here, on long putts is where I am seeing the most "issues" (and thats not the best word for it) as I feel like you truly have to come through the stroke with a lot more energy and that is creating some tension in the stroke to maintain the head/hands relationship.

I will say I spent 20 on the putting green yesterday playing games with a couple guys and from inside of 9 feet I was deadly with it, it again brings me back to wanting to try the smaller grip.

I still can't get over how accurate it was the other day from five feet. 16 straight is obscene, and it could have been more if I didn't stop.

I still can't get over how accurate it was the other day from five feet. 16 straight is obscene, and it could have been more if I didn't stop.

It just excels on the short range putts, I see similar on my 10 foot Tour Links, I can sit there and just put an insanely consistent pace and roll on the ball time and again. At long range is my only hangup. And I swear the face is just insanely well done, hell the whole head design is.

Agree with you guys on this. I found myself adding more to my stroke on slower greens. Add that to an uphill putt on slow greens and I felt like I was swinging very aggressive.

I did notice on the practice green that on long putts (especially uphill) you really have to make a concerted effort to extend the backswing and the follow-through, which I don't think is all bad. I think one of the most common mistakes people make on long putts is that they swing the putter harder and faster at impact, thus at a different rhythm than they normally have. My goal is to have the same rhythm regardless of the distance of the putt. On longer putts I just try to take a longer stroke as that way the hands, etc. aren't breaking down by my trying to bash the putt. It's a similar goal that I have on full swings is to have the same rhythm regardless of club. I just think that people have their internal rhythm and the more you can maintain it in golf the better off you will be. It might be all just a bunch of zen, yoga, hippie nonsense, but it's how I feel.

I did notice on the practice green that on long putts (especially uphill) you really have to make a concerted effort to extend the backswing and the follow-through, which I don't think is all bad. I think one of the most common mistakes people make on long putts is that they swing the putter harder and faster at impact, thus at a different rhythm than they normally have. My goal is to have the same rhythm regardless of the distance of the putt. On longer putts I just try to take a longer stroke as that way the hands, etc. aren't breaking down by my trying to bash the putt. It's a similar goal that I have on full swings is to have the same rhythm regardless of club. I just think that people have their internal rhythm and the more you can maintain it in golf the better off you will be. It might be all just a bunch of zen, yoga, hippie nonsense, but it's how I feel.

As an SPi guy I believe you control the putt length with the length of your shoulder rock, more/larger rock = more length. But here I'm finding it requires a larger shoulder rock AND more acceleration/force and there enters the tension and the feeling of really having to "hit" the ball at times which I'm not a big fan of on long putts.

As an SPi guy I believe you control the putt length with the length of your shoulder rock, more/larger rock = more length. But here I'm finding it requires a larger shoulder rock AND more acceleration/force and there enters the tension and the feeling of really having to "hit" the ball at times which I'm not a big fan of on long putts.

I completely subscribe to the shoulder rock methodology. I'm just trying not to alter it on long putts but the urge to do so was something I did notice right away on the longer putts. I think initially I was uncomfortable because it took more of a shoulder rock than I am accustomed to from say 20-30' and felt odd. I presume that discomfort will go away with more reps.

Tried this at PGA SS. I like the grip's feel but I was crazy inconsistent with the putter stroke wise. I don't like the lack of weight at the back end since I can't feel it in my hands. I found that the lag putting was easy but I had issues with shorter putts and keeping the line.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I was able to get out today and got to play my Bridgestone putter again. The first time I took it out I was a little irritated by the grip size and material, I really didn't like the way it made the putter feel at the head but I didn't give up on it lol, I continued to practice with it when I could and today that thing lit up the course. It seemed like I was making some stupid long putts with crazy breaks and after tallying them up it really happened, I had my best putting day in a long time with 28 putts, my only complaint is that it doesn't stand up by itself lol like the others. I like this putter a lot and left the course with a new found respect for it. Thanks THP and Bridgestone for the HH Invitational prize, it will get used.

That's great Marc. Mine will not stand up unless the conditions are perfect. I have continued to enjoy this putter as well. You mentioned something in your other post about taking some break out of your putts. I had a balky couple of putting rounds this past weekend, and this may be the solution. Gonna give that a try!

Thanks!

JM

That's great Marc. Mine will not stand up unless the conditions are perfect. I have continued to enjoy this putter as well. You mentioned something in your other post about taking some break out of your putts. I had a balky couple of putting rounds this past weekend, and this may be the solution. Gonna give that a try!

Thanks!

JM

Definitely try it, I historically play the maximum amount of break in my putts and let it die in the hole, with this I played about 2/3rds the break and man they were center cut.

Just had a pretty intense discussion with the guy at Golfsmith regarding the True Balance putters. After telling him about the MC and Bridgestone he was all ears about these. Basically stated he wished they would carry them in house. His first question, how is the grip? My response, if you don't think about it you never notice it...and if you do you still will have good comments about it.

Some really good thoughts in here. I am anxious to get my hands on one and roll it for myself.

Some really good thoughts in here. I am anxious to get my hands on one and roll it for myself.

Really has grown on me. I no longer notice the grip or weight of the putter at all. I think Bridgestone out did themselves with this one. When trusting your stroke with this one you are definitely rewarded!

I have mine with me in Indy this weekend. Anyone that wants to try it out let me know you are more than welcome. I am still not comfortable enough to make it my gamer but it is growing on me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Don't recall if I mentioned this previous to today, however I noticed a significant glare off the mallet style True Balance, which actually effected my putting. In order to block the glare I found myself moving my head. Guess I've never noticed that much as the sun in the north has just started coming out.

Wow I haven't noticed that yet and I hope I don't, I'd black it out or something.

Do you have the mallet style?

No I have the plumbers neck but I'm funny about glare, I had it with another putter before and it can be distracting.

My club is having a Bridgestone ball fitting and True Balance putter challenge this Saturday. Hoping to make it down there and try them out, maybe even win one. But really looking forward to rolling one of these when I do get the chance.

Don't recall if I mentioned this previous to today, however I noticed a significant glare off the mallet style True Balance, which actually effected my putting. In order to block the glare I found myself moving my head. Guess I've never noticed that much as the sun in the north has just started coming out.

The 03 has some glare issues as well. I've just learned to deal with it.

My putting has improved quite a bit since I've put this in play. I just had my GHIN drop from a 3..2 to a 1.5, and this putter most definitely had a hand in that. I switched the grip out from the oversize, which was just a bit too big for me, to the standard. I found the standard grip to actually be a bit too small so I covered it with a layer of tennis overgrip tape. This made it feel ever so slightly larger in my hands and gave it a bit of tackiness. The tape is also light enough to have a very minimal to negligible impact on the weighting.

I have mine with me in Indy this weekend. Anyone that wants to try it out let me know you are more than welcome. I am still not comfortable enough to make it my gamer but it is growing on me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So I just saw this comment...darn you!

I am really interested in giving this thing a shot as gave this a quick roll in the pro shop at The Fort and was really impressed by it.

Bit the bullet and bought one of these off the bay to get used to before the MC. I've been up and down with my putting, specifically distance control and Bridgestone says this club helps with that. Should be here Monday, so I'll know more after that.

Bit the bullet and bought one of these off the bay to get used to before the MC. I've been up and down with my putting, specifically distance control and Bridgestone says this club helps with that. Should be here Monday, so I'll know more after that.

This is some dot com awesomeness right here--I also think the weighting will help with the distance control after rolling a couple at the store.

My distance control has exceeded my expectations since putting the TD-01 into play. The uphill puts have taken more practice with becoming confident with. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Back