Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Wow. I am tempted, but trying to exercise some discipline.

I understand the 20% drop. Expansion changes value and this will be the biggest expansion WFM has gone through. With the cost average, I am in there at a good rate.

Looking at WPC as a bond alternative. I like the continues recovery in commercial real estate and was considering a REIT, but WPC makes it's money managing properties and has consistently paid a 6% annual dividend. Valuation is a little low at the moment to boot. Thinking I'll move some diversification money to WPC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just skimmed but Callaway down quite a bit from OP. Still gonna drop more or time to get in now?

I do contribute quite a lot of my 401K at work ( (20% of every paycheck) and they do use that money to invest but I have them invest it in low to moderate risk funds. Im not planning on retiring anytime soon (looking at about 20-25 years), so Im OK with funds that are lower return at a lower risk of loss.
I dont really get into investing myself because I really dont know much about it and I dont have time to do the research on what stocks and funds are good, what are bad and when it may be time to buy or sell.

I do contribute quite a lot of my 401K at work ( (20% of every paycheck) and they do use that money to invest but I have them invest it in low to moderate risk funds. Im not planning on retiring anytime soon (looking at about 20-25 years), so Im OK with funds that are lower return at a lower risk of loss.
I dont really get into investing myself because I really dont know much about it and I dont have time to do the research on what stocks and funds are good, what are bad and when it may be time to buy or sell.

95% of money managers would actually suggest the opposite.
The longer timeframe you have the MORE risky your investments should be.
If I were you, I would invest atleast %75 of that 401k into riskier funds.

95% of money managers would actually suggest the opposite.
The longer timeframe you have the MORE risky your investments should be.
If I were you, I would invest atleast %75 of that 401k into riskier funds.

Agreed. I'm in a 2040 Lifepath fund that decreases risk as I get closer to retirement.

I just skimmed but Callaway down quite a bit from OP. Still gonna drop more or time to get in now?

Depends on outlook. My cost average is still up, but if one bought in that $10 range, they are down a bit.
First quarter earnings were wonderful. If one likes the outlook of the company, and where they are headed, I would say its a decent time to buy.

I just pulled the trigger on WFM @ $38.96. FOOL recommends this as a core holding, so I will be holding onto this one for a while.

I just pulled the trigger on WFM @ $38.96. FOOL recommends this as a core holding, so I will be holding onto this one for a while.

My cost average is close to that and I am glad I have it. Long term growth and their recent partnerships make it attractive and I think we see that over the next few years in financial releases.

My cost average is close to that and I am glad I have it. Long term growth and their recent partnerships make it attractive and I think we see that over the next few years in financial releases.

They took it on the chin recently, and there are more players stepping into this market, but they are still the gold standard when it comes to health conscious shopping.

I think it's safe to say that today sucked.

Any of you dive into CEFs at all (Closed-End Funds)? Personally, I love them; dividend reinvestment is a wonderful thing. But it's getting harder to hunt for yield without blowing beta out of the water.

Great thread. I just started saving for retirement (outside of my 401k) by opening up a roth IRA, now I just need to find some long term investments! This thread has a lot of great insight.

good thread.

one of the best educational reads I've had on investing is this book: A short, easy read laid out for the investing neophyte. I recommend this for anyone getting started in life. Not to take the thread off course but besides the total lack of political training we give kids these days to prepare them to be intelligent, well-informed voters, I feel like they ought to be teaching this stuff (money and investing) in high school and/or it should at least be a required college course.

investmentanswer1.jpg

http://www.theinvestmentanswerbook.com/

I'm fortunate to have worked in a time when pensions were still offered at most large corporations. I have one to fall back on, as well as the 401k(s) my wife and I have been able to build over the years. The other smart move I made was aligning our portfolios to the stock market and loading up largely on index funds. These have delivered performance at/better than the market over time and our costs have been lower, relatively speaking.

I'm in my mid-late 50s now and have some options. I can actually retire now but have to consider healthcare costs when considering the lifestyle we want to live in our post-working years. We also moved around a lot in my career and didn't do as well with buying/selling homes as I would have liked. Consequently, we are still carrying a mortgage in a time when we should be plowing away money into savings in our maximum earning years. My wife lost her job in February and due to some chronic medical issues, is not excited about going back to work any longer. I'll probably have to work for another 5-7 years now. It's OK though. If we can down-size on the home, and cut our mortgage debt by half, I can cash in the pension and take a lower-stress job at even 1/2 the salary for another 5 years and we'll not have to sacrifice our lifestyle at all. Weighing all the options now.

Good luck to all of you in planning your future, whatever phase of life you're at.

Man, what a great day.
F, ELY and WFM all up.
H continues its climb and is approaching 60 now.

Jumped in on PETM today. 52 week low. Revenue was not bad at all. Like the prospect as a holder here.

Man, what a great day.
F, ELY and WFM all up.
H continues its climb and is approaching 60 now.

Yes. I finally pulled the trigger on more AAPL yesterday morning and was rewarded for it. I think the upcoming split is going to be great for the stock.

On a side note, I found some old investments today. In 1999 or so, my mom made me walk into some broker and stroke them a check to open an IRA, telling me that I needed to be investing more and spending less. It wasn't a ton of money, and I was pretty foolish in that I didn't continue putting money into these, and I had forgotten about them for the last 2 decades. I just set up online accounts so that I can finally watch them. At any rate, I see that one of them (Dreyfus Technology Growth Fund, DTGRX) returned 27.87% over the last 6 months. Unfortunately, I never continued pumping money in, and I doubt I have made much money at all over the course of the last 14 years.

Yes. I finally pulled the trigger on more AAPL yesterday morning and was rewarded for it. I think the upcoming split is going to be great for the stock.

On a side note, I found some old investments today. In 1995, my mom made me walk into some broker and stroke them a check to open an IRA, telling me that I needed to be investing more and spending less. It wasn't a ton of money, and I was pretty foolish in that I didn't continue putting money into these, and I had forgotten about them for the last 2 decades. I just set up online accounts so that I can finally watch them. At any rate, I see that one of them (Dreyfus Technology Growth Fund, DTGRX) returned 27.87% over the last 6 months. Unfortunately, I never continued pumping money in, and I doubt I have made much money at all over the course of the last 19 years.

Craziness. I had one like that where I opened up an IRA at 23 and forgot about it until I was 30. Unfortunately I found it right about the crash, so I was not rewarded much. I think I ended up taking a small hit and ended up pulling the funds out after the penalty.

Craziness. I had one like that where I opened up an IRA at 23 and forgot about it until I was 30. Unfortunately I found it right about the crash, so I was not rewarded much. I think I ended up taking a small hit and ended up pulling the funds out after the penalty.

I think I am up about $300, so not exactly a good return 14 years later. I revised it. It was 1999 or maybe 2000 when I bought, not 1995.

Last edited:
Jumped in on PETM today. 52 week low. Revenue was not bad at all. Like the prospect as a holder here.

I just looked it up and read a few articles. It might be a good time to be bold, but I think there are better places to be bold right now (WFM).

I just looked it up and read a few articles. It might be a good time to be bold, but I think there are better places to be bold right now (WFM).

I am already all over WFM. Love where that stock is at and with our cost average purchase, we are in good shape there.
PETM is a small long purchase for us. Small amount and sit on it. 52 week high of 77 or so and can be had around 55 right now.

I am already all over WFM. Love where that stock is at and with our cost average purchase, we are in good shape there.
PETM is a small long purchase for us. Small amount and sit on it. 52 week high of 77 or so and can be had around 55 right now.

I think everybody should own at least one share of AAPL right now if for no other reason than entertainment. It's fun to watch it all day long, and with the 7:1 split coming up, I think it's about to get crazy.

What company(s) do you guys use to make your trades, and what made you decide to use them over the others?

Schwab.
Our advising firm uses them.

Back