Adams XTD Driver Review

Put this one back into play yesterday, I'm extremely addicted to it right now. I have the 9 cranked to 10.5, and I still get a nice mid-high flight, but MAN I daydream of the 10.5/12, I honestly think it could be a full time gamer for me.

You need to find a way to make this happen. I think you could be a beast with it in your hands.

Put this one back into play yesterday, I'm extremely addicted to it right now. I have the 9 cranked to 10.5, and I still get a nice mid-high flight, but MAN I daydream of the 10.5/12, I honestly think it could be a full time gamer for me.

I still want this driver bad dude. Will be following with interest for sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I try and read up as much as possible on equipment despite not being a ho. I honestly believe this is the best written, most complete driver review I have read. Truly a great job. I am sure it did not hurt that you really liked it, but nonetheless this was just very thorough.

I am basing the following comment not just on this review - this seems like a far superior product to the Jetspeed... It makes me think that if the two brands on the clubs were exchanged TM would see much greater sales. Adams has put out some very good drivers...a lot of which have been low spin. This one may appeal to a larger base.

Thx again for the review.

I try and read up as much as possible on equipment despite not being a ho. I honestly believe this is the best written, most complete driver review I have read. Truly a great job. I am sure it did not hurt that you really liked it, but nonetheless this was just very thorough.

I am basing the following comment not just on this review - this seems like a far superior product to the Jetspeed... It makes me think that if the two brands on the clubs were exchanged TM would see much greater sales. Adams has put out some very good drivers...a lot of which have been low spin. This one may appeal to a larger base.

Thx again for the review.

Thank you for the extremely kind comments, I truly mean that.

Kind of a different beast from the jetspeed since it isn't a low/forward CG basis like it is. Still a low spin offering, but WAAAAAAAAAY more forgiving.

You might be right about the brand thing, its a really solid offering, the more people that get to hit it, the more people will see that. I really believe that.

In many ways this driver reminds me of the old XTD Pro (Square) from the standpoint of being under the radar. The old XTD Pro (believe that was the name though it might have been the A3 Pro). That driver was bar none, the longest and straightest driver I've ever hit. It had hot spots where when hit on the screws it would fly forever. The only problem was QC - they had a bunch of issues and if memory serves correct it wasn't on the market long, I went through 3 of them but kept wanting to give it a chance.

I liken it a good bit to the 9015d that I loved so much (and is still a MASSIVE cult classic) distance wise but it's just way more forgiving.

Good stuff NoLine, it's definitely a really nice offering,

I was playing a custom fit SLDR and, out of interest, I went on a launch monitor a few weeks back to compare the SLDR and XTD using the same shaft. The launch monitor was an old Vector thingy so I wasn’t able to get a neat photo or printout of the numbers, but the XTD was straighter and longer (on average) than the SLDR. Accordingly, I’ve wanted one since to take to the range / course to try out in real life.

Managed to pick one up for a great deal on Saturday morning.

I spent a lot of time at the range on Saturday hitting this (and the XTD irons) and then played a few holes on Sunday afternoon. In short, and my intention is certainly not to bash the SLDR in any way, the XTD feels much more solid, offers a significantly tighter dispersion, is way more forgiving on off centre hits… and I really can’t separate them distance wise (on well struck shots). For me the XTD driver is, without doubt, better for me and my game.

I was switching between a Matrix RUL and Oban Devotion in the SLDR, but I see absolutely no reason to replace the Red Tie in the XTD as it seems a really nice fit for me (subject to a launch monitor check at some point in the future). With the 10.5* and Red Tie combo, I’m getting a medium to high launch which flattens out offering a penetrating ballflight which is a joy to behold. I should and must add that I’m not a good driver of the ball and frequently cost myself a few strokes in a game from the tee, but my dispersion with the XTD has been very impressive over my weekend’s testing.

Overall, I’m really pleased and I know I’ve found my driver for the 2014 season!

I liken it a good bit to the 9015d that I loved so much (and is still a MASSIVE cult classic) distance wise but it's just way more forgiving.

Good stuff NoLine, it's definitely a really nice offering,

9015D with Oban is still in the bag even though i am flirting with the Cobra bio Cell, but the XTD is one i would like to get some numbers on.

I put the Kusala White in this one and set the 9* head to play at 10.5*, was interesting yesterday, still a little lower than I want I think, the 10.5 head set to 12 would likely be a better fit for me.

I so so so so so want this head to work as a gamer for me though, but Bertha is stiff competition.

I've got this bad boy on the brain right now big time. Was hitting my 45" R11S much more consistent than the longer Bertha yesterday at the range, which makes me think about this one pretty seriously given it's 45" stock length. Not to mention I pounded it the last time I hit it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I need to hit this some more. Had a chance to hit it this past weekend on the range and I liked what I saw. I might just go down to Adams headquarters and get fit for it there.

When I come down I'll bring it with me and you can swing away

Hit this club again at the range this evening. I like the way the ball comes off the face and how it feels, but the red tie is not a good fit for me. I didnt see any distance gains if anything I lost some yardage. I would like to see what the D+ shaft will do with this driver.

I've had this in the bag for around 3 weeks and I really like it - this will definitely see me through the 2014 season.

The head feels really solid and my launch and spin at least look to be in my desired range (yet to be confirmed on LM) with the stock stiff Red Tie. I have a tipped up Oban Devotion sat in teh attic that I haven't even tried in this head yet as I haven't yet seen any reason to change the Red Tie.

I came to the XTD from an SLDR and I prefer the XTD for numerous reasons, primarily its solid feeling and much improved dispersion.

Gonna try and hit this again this weekend and see if it's worth me trying to pick one up. I may have some clubs on the way out pretty soon, so I might have some funds freed up or a trade opportunity.

I don't know what it was - maybe the shaft - but the XTD did not work for me at all. I could never get in the groove with it and well struck hits lacked distance for me. Hit it with a LM and in an actual range and did better with every other club I hit yesterday (let's see...yesterday was Covert 2, Alpha, C588, and the Tour Edge XCG7, which was a surprisingly nice stick, btw)

I don't know what it was - maybe the shaft - but the XTD did not work for me at all. I could never get in the groove with it and well struck hits lacked distance for me. Hit it with a LM and in an actual range and did better with every other club I hit yesterday (let's see...yesterday was Covert 2, Alpha, C588, and the Tour Edge XCG7, which was a surprisingly nice stick, btw)

Some clubs will just never work for certain people no matter how hard they try, and no matter how well reviewed they are! Case in point, I've hated every Cobra fairway wood and hybrid I've hit, despite rave reviews from others. Can't hit em to save my life for some reason. Back on topic though, I'm guessing the shaft/head together had something to do with it. This is a little lower launching/spinning head with a mid to mid-low shaft, and you play an X2 Hot driver, so I'm guessing a little help with launch is a good thing for you. This club will not give you a ton of help in that department, at least with the stock shaft.

This club sounds right to me. I have no problem getting the ball up and was able to hit it on range. Good club overall from my experience

I know better than to doubt you Jamesman, but jeez. I didn't expect to like this one so much. I hit the 12° version tonight and I was really really impressed. Sounded different, but really good to my ears. It went far and the ball flight was there for me with a shaft that probably isn't the best match for me. I want one. Need to spend more time, but it's one I could see competing with the X Hot and there aren't many of those out there for me.

I know better than to doubt you Jamesman, but jeez. I didn't expect to like this one so much. I hit the 12° version tonight and I was really really impressed. Sounded different, but really good to my ears. It went far and the ball flight was there for me with a shaft that probably isn't the best match for me. I want one. Need to spend more time, but it's one I could see competing with the X Hot and there aren't many of those out there for me.

Hawkvalidation makes me smile, it truly does.

Its such a solid driver head, probably THE sleeper head out there this year IMO and the slot on top is likely what keeps it as such. I actually like the slot. It does everything well, it really does.

I want cup face everything. Cup face driver to cup face putter.

I hit this thing with a Fujikura Tour Spec Pro 85 and wow.

Missile Launcher.

Missile Launcher.

He had an the same shaft in there, but 63g in X flex. I still hit the hell out of it. That shaft will be mine one day - in a different flex of course.

I want cup face everything. Cup face driver to cup face putter.

I agree. I wish more would utilize it because I'm a believer.

Also, love the finish on this one at the cup face, that it extends up, its a built in pop up protector LOL

Missile Launcher.

It really is.

We'll see how much it costs here in about 3-4 months. I bet I could snag a 12° for a great price in the winter.

Back