Cleveland 588 Hybrid Review

Having some directional issues with this one right now that aren't appearing so much with other hybrids I'm using both on the range or the course. A bit worrisome since I do rely on a hybrid quite a bit. I am going to play around with setup a bit to make sure I'm not setting the face closed at address before I go farther though.

Is it sensitive to hand movement? More than others?

Is it sensitive to hand movement? More than others?

Honestly I don't know why I'm moving the ball so much further left with it, but I am. Was the same both before and after I put the Tour Blue shaft in there. I am going to experiement a little this week. For what it's worth, that's my normal miss with most clubs anyway, but it's just more frequent and severe.

Honestly I don't know why I'm moving the ball so much further left with it, but I am. Was the same both before and after I put the Tour Blue shaft in there. I am going to experiement a little this week. For what it's worth, that's my normal miss with most clubs anyway, but it's just more frequent and severe.

Interesting and good to know. At least it is normal :)

That is true. No two-way misses or anything.

That is true. No two-way misses or anything.

Huge. So your adjustment is somewhat minor compared to what it could be.

Honestly I don't know why I'm moving the ball so much further left with it.., that's my normal miss with most clubs anyway, but it's just more frequent and severe.

Weight? I seem to pull more often with lighter clubs.

Weight? I seem to pull more often with lighter clubs.

Nope. I put an 85g shaft in there, which is pretty heavy for me. Swingweight is D4 like the rest of my clubs. I'm sort of out of ideas.

Nope. I put an 85g shaft in there, which is pretty heavy for me. Swingweight is D4 like the rest of my clubs. I'm sort of out of ideas.

New idea... Just give it to me! In my time with it I've found the 588 to be more left prone than the X2 or adams hybrid... For what it's worth. For me that's a good thing...

Last edited:
Ha. You did hit it well on the range!

Ha. You did hit it well on the range!

I did like the heavier shaft in it. Stock isn't bad by any means but I'm digging the 85g shafts right now.

Went to a Cleveland fitting today and spent a bit of time with the 18°. I asked the rep for something that was going to be a good option on a tight par 4 and he put this in my hand. I have never really got on well with hybrids so pretty much ignored them and since I put my hb3 4 hybrid/iron back in the bag a fw weeks ago, I am realising that I am foolish to go without at least one hybrid.

I really liked hitting this. I only tried it off mats without a tee, but it was nice and easy to hit and flew nice and straight and the sort of distance I was looking for. I put a couple of really horrible swings on it (unfortunately not on purpose!) and it still seemed to go well. I managed to top one and nothing could save me there, but apart from that, everything was nice.

I headed back later on and asked if I could try the h5 too. It was only available with a regular shaft, but it seemed to work just avout the same-easy to hit, nice flight, distance fine (judging by the monitor and ball floght with range balls)

Quite tempted to put at least one of these in the bag. As I think someone said earlier in the thread, I would like to hit a 6 hybrid.

Went to a Cleveland fitting today and spent a bit of time with the 18°. I asked the rep for something that was going to be a good option on a tight par 4 and he put this in my hand. I have never really got on well with hybrids so pretty much ignored them and since I put my hb3 4 hybrid/iron back in the bag a fw weeks ago, I am realising that I am foolish to go without at least one hybrid.

I really liked hitting this. I only tried it off mats without a tee, but it was nice and easy to hit and flew nice and straight and the sort of distance I was looking for. I put a couple of really horrible swings on it (unfortunately not on purpose!) and it still seemed to go well. I managed to top one and nothing could save me there, but apart from that, everything was nice.

I headed back later on and asked if I could try the h5 too. It was only available with a regular shaft, but it seemed to work just avout the same-easy to hit, nice flight, distance fine (judging by the monitor and ball floght with range balls)

Quite tempted to put at least one of these in the bag. As I think someone said earlier in the thread, I would like to hit a 6 hybrid.

SOunds like you may have found yourself a winner

This was the 588 3 Hybrid in play for me at the Morgan cup and I think it is staying in the bag for now. Honestly, I am only upgrading from another Cleveland Hybrid. Many may not think of Cleveland golf when thinking of popular Hybrids, but this club was my go to all weekend for the second shot on many of these long Par 5's. In all of my rounds it provided the distance myself or my teammate needed to have an easy approach. There were times where I should have used it off the tee more because of the consistent shot versus going for a long carry shot (#8 True Blue anyone?) Anyway, I know its not the latest out there in 2014, but since it has performed for me under ultimate pressure I am going to keep it in play.

Looking for a 2H if anyone has one

How are these forgiveness wise compared to Mashies and Classic? I had both and love Mashies sound and hated the look, switched to G20 over classic to match my G20 irons set. How are these forgiveness wise compared to G20, Baffler XL, mashies, bio cell, amp cell, G25. These can be had cheap on the bay now. I am lefty so it's hard to find Cleveland stuff to try, so I end up buying used just to try

How are these forgiveness wise compared to Mashies and Classic? I had both and love Mashies sound and hated the look, switched to G20 over classic to match my G20 irons set. How are these forgiveness wise compared to G20, Baffler XL, mashies, bio cell, amp cell, G25. These can be had cheap on the bay now. I am lefty so it's hard to find Cleveland stuff to try, so I end up buying used just to try
Similar although I think the new sole works even better from versatile needed lies.

Similar although I think the new sole works even better from versatile needed lies.

Thanks man. Back in the day when I first found this forum your love and race for Mashies at the time you, I remember loved Mashie+ 5w and Hybos inspired me to buy hem used on the bay and I love them as they were so easy to hit and made that awesome sound that I craved every time I hit it good, just did not care for that retro look so is old them. Will get these now and try. I like that they have metal face and sole so they would not look bad after awhile after me hacking them on the course like black finished ones would. I wonder if you hit them against Baffler XL as they both have rails. I read Bafflers are also super easy just not sure I would be a fan of the crown will have to see in person. Why you picked to keep x2 hot in the bag over 588s? Just wondering

Gamed the 3&4 hybrids today. Mixed results, but a lot easier to hit than my old big Bertha 3&4 irons. Like a 1000x times easier. Had a nice 4h from 190 that gave me a 20 ft birdie look. Made par, but the club did its job.

I put a 588 3H in play this last weekend. I've owned both the Mashies and Mashie+ and like the 588 better. I can't say that I hit it any longer, but it looks world's better and has less offset than I remember either having, which I prefer. I do prefer the Mashie head covers, but that's about it.

I would second PaneraiMan with respect to the metal face and sole. That will be much more durable than black designs, and look better for longer. I think the looks are the best thing about the 588. It's a gorgeous club in hand.

Sound and feel wise, the 588 departs a bit from the Mashies. With the Mashies, directly on center contact made a great sound and had an almost explosive feel. The problem for me is that I suck, so I only had contact like that about 1 out of 6 shots. The other 5 sounded and felt kind of dead. As good as the 1 shot was, there were 5 that were on the opposite end of the scale, which is ultimately why I never stuck with Mashies long. The 588 doesn't have that same on center sound and feel, but it is more consistent across the face. It is not one that sounds or feels exceptionally good, but it is also one that doesn't sound or feel bad. In other words, it is less polar, but I think ultimately a bit more appealing to the mainstream.

I also tend to think the railed design works a little better for a digger than a picker. I came out sweeping but focused on really hitting down on the 588 and got better results. This included a couple from some less than ideal rough lies.

Length wise, this one seemed average to me. I need to get it on my monitor to get some hard numbers, but just based on where I was on the course and where the ball ended up, it's not going to be one of the longest hybrids I've owned. It's also not going to be one of the shortest ones either. It's in the middle, and about 5 yards longer than a similarly spec'd Bobby Jones.

Any comparisons of this to the Baffler XL? I am really interested in this hybrid but I cannot find them locally... I am going to try 1 more store and if no luck I might just order online and hope for the best :act-up:

I'm going to bump an old thread, but for good reason. I've now had 6+ months with the 588. I've owned a lot of hybrids from different OEMs, and this is the best one I have ever played.

It's not the longest. It's not the absolute best out of the rough. It's not the single best off the tee. It's not the best out of a tight lie. It's not the highest or lowest launching. What it is, is the best all around. If you put up one of those 6 radius spider line charts (like on the back of an old Transformers package), this thing would be 7+ in almost every category.

It does do one thing better than any hybrid I've ever hit -- consistency. Unless I'm teed up, hitting into a really thin fairway or hitting out of some nasty rough, every single shot is within 5 yards distance wise (including out of light rough). It doesn't matter if I toe it, heel it, or hit it low on the face. It's going to get out there about the same distance every single time and with a pretty tight (for my skill level) dispersion.

It's also really easy to hit. Maybe it is just a good match with my swing speed, or maybe visually I like the way it presents next to the ball, but I never have to think about trying to hit it. I recently was trying another hybrid that was hotter, but was much tougher to produce those repeatable results. I finally looked at myself and wondered why I was even messing with it. The 588 was just so easy to hit.

Other than some minor scratching on the face, it looks as good as the day I purchased it. Mine after 6 months looks just as good as the one in JMan's review.

It's so good overall, that I'm testing a 2 hybrid. Typically those lofts in a hybrid aren't good for me given my pretty average swing speed, but this one hits it fairly high. It might be the rare exception.

If you are looking for a hybrid, and don't mind playing something slightly older, this should be on the shopping list. You might find your hybrid slot closed for quite some time.

I agree Ryebread. The whole 588 line is solid.

I'm going to bump an old thread, but for good reason. I've now had 6+ months with the 588. I've owned a lot of hybrids from different OEMs, and this is the best one I have ever played.

It's not the longest. It's not the absolute best out of the rough. It's not the single best off the tee. It's not the best out of a tight lie. It's not the highest or lowest launching. What it is, is the best all around. If you put up one of those 6 radius spider line charts (like on the back of an old Transformers package), this thing would be 7+ in almost every category.

It does do one thing better than any hybrid I've ever hit -- consistency. Unless I'm teed up, hitting into a really thin fairway or hitting out of some nasty rough, every single shot is within 5 yards distance wise (including out of light rough). It doesn't matter if I toe it, heel it, or hit it low on the face. It's going to get out there about the same distance every single time and with a pretty tight (for my skill level) dispersion.

It's also really easy to hit. Maybe it is just a good match with my swing speed, or maybe visually I like the way it presents next to the ball, but I never have to think about trying to hit it. I recently was trying another hybrid that was hotter, but was much tougher to produce those repeatable results. I finally looked at myself and wondered why I was even messing with it. The 588 was just so easy to hit.

Other than some minor scratching on the face, it looks as good as the day I purchased it. Mine after 6 months looks just as good as the one in JMan's review.

It's so good overall, that I'm testing a 2 hybrid. Typically those lofts in a hybrid aren't good for me given my pretty average swing speed, but this one hits it fairly high. It might be the rare exception.

If you are looking for a hybrid, and don't mind playing something slightly older, this should be on the shopping list. You might find your hybrid slot closed for quite some time.

Great writeup, you ever hit the Classic Hybrid? Or anyone who has. 588 any more accurate? It looks like less offset. I like the Classic a lot but it can hook on me sometimes. I can't help but wonder because the 588 line has been good to me.

This has been my exact experience with the club. I've been playing it for almost a year, and I'm not really looking to change hybrids anytime in the foreseeable future. It was my favorite club in the bag at the Morgan Cup, and has remained one of my favorites since - it's definitely a go-to club for me when I need a tee shot to stay in the fairway.

Happy to hear others are having the same experience.

Great writeup, you ever hit the Classic Hybrid? Or anyone who has. 588 any more accurate? It looks like less offset. I like the Classic a lot but it can hook on me sometimes. I can't help but wonder because the 588 line has been good to me.

I liked the 588 more than the classic - the classic I didn't take to, but the 588 was a hit with me after the first swing. Now, the only time I spent with the Classic was at a demo day, so take that for what its worth. I think the 588 is the first Cleveland hybrid with variable face thickness, so it might be a bit more consistent across the face.

I liked the 3 wood so much, I purchased a 20.5* hybrid off eBay. Finally got it on the course today. It has quickly become my go to club off the tee on short par 4's. Fell in love with it pretty quickly.

Back