College Golfers using Push Carts

Wish the PGA would adopt that rule as speed of play initiative.

I dont think it would. They're a lil different. I dont think they're after the pin as much but more on hitting areas on the green. And thus us yrds to front, sides & crest and ridges. Just my opinion tho

Less time tweeting....more time trying to win more than one tournament in a 16 year career. I forgot that he was still around to be honest.

When I was younger I carried until I got a push cart, I used that until I was in college when it got to be a burden pushing a case of beer around. My whole thing with this is do whatever you can do to save your body. They don't give away awards at the end of each season because you're a "real golfer" that carries their bag. To each his own, but don't judge others for what they do to play in more comfort.

I have no issues with any player using a push cart. I use one myself and I like it. Definitely takes the load off my back.

Anyway, a lot of it has to do with how you are raised. But, I think everyone would probably agree that a push cart is better for your back than carrying a golf bag is. Most golfers can build up their endurance, and have the ability to carry a bag for 18 holes. But, just because you can physically do something, does not necessarily mean it's healthy and/or good for you physical well-being.
I think it behooves all sports to improve in terms of health and safety for those who play the sport. It leads to longevity, which translates into dollars.

The whole "macho man" attitude is getting old. No one cares if you'd prefer to take a line drive to the face rather than wear a protective cap on the pitchers mound. No one cares if you'd prefer to not wear a face shield and take a puck to the eye and shatter your orbital socket. No one cares if you'd prefer to go back on the football field with a concussion. We'll cheer you on, and when you can't perform any more, we'll boo you and then forget about you as you dim into obsolescence. Same thing with golf ... you want to screw up your back, suffer from back issues at an early age and then only play sporadically? Sure, that's smart ... particularly when options are available to relieve those stresses.

I thought carrying my bag was going to help me get exercise, over and above a push cart. Studies seem to indicate that a push/pull cart won't lessen my physical exertion. Next time a good price comes up on one, I'm buying. Bo Van Pelt be damned.

Less time tweeting....more time trying to win more than one tournament in a 16 year career. I forgot that he was still around to be honest.

HAHAHAHA... good point...

Am I the only one who sees irony in a guy who doesn't even carry his bag from the car to the locker room, much less around a golfcourse, griping that somebody is pushing their own bag.

Also ironic to me.... a guy who by trade can not swing a golfclub without first having a 90 second conversation with another dude (who is payed to do that and to provide yardage numbers in said conversation) complaining that a 9 year olds dad is coaching, advising, mentoring, supervising his child.

You know what I want to see..... a high paying PGA tour tournament played like all of us usually have to play. Pack your own bag, mark your own balls, carry your own bucket (which you had to pay for) full of random pieces of crap to the range, pick up your own ball out of the hole on the practice green, transport your clubs around the course, wash your equipment by yourself, make the right ruling on a questionable situation, use only the colored poles or sprinkler heads for yardages, use your own eyes to figure out where the pin is, deal with people driving by honking their horns and yelling FORE out of their cars, deal with a bunch of drunks yelling and spraying tee shots at you 2 fairways over, deal with idiots leaving the pins on the ground or bunker rakes right in the worst spot possible, rake your own footprints, replace your own divots, find your own ball after an errant shot, have bare dirt, hardpan lies right in the middle of the fairway, putt through 30 square feet of fungus and missing grass, etc etc etc.

Gotta wonder how many top level tour guys would chose not to use a push cart if they were playing under these conditions.

Pushing a cart or carrying the bag...has it really come to this? Why are analysts wasting their time with this debate? Stupid.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Best reply so far, including mine yesterday!

What golf commercial has the guy that keeps saying, basically, I don't need the new technology, what I have is just as good? It keeps doing this all the way back to when golf was invented... They need to add the push cart to the commercial to support these guys! We're all so darned concerned with everyone else and what they do! Stay classy, pompous pros and sportscasters!!!

I think it's a Nike commercial, but I could b mistaken.

I'm with rollin here: why have guys carry the bags? Allow everyone to use carts, it could improve the lives of caddies, collegiate and probably many more. That's a good thing :)

I think it behooves all sports to improve in terms of health and safety for those who play the sport. It leads to longevity, which translates into dollars.

The whole "macho man" attitude is getting old. No one cares if you'd prefer to take a line drive to the face rather than wear a protective cap on the pitchers mound. No one cares if you'd prefer to not wear a face shield and take a puck to the eye and shatter your orbital socket. No one cares if you'd prefer to go back on the football field with a concussion. We'll cheer you on, and when you can't perform any more, we'll boo you and then forget about you as you dim into obsolescence. Same thing with golf ... you want to screw up your back, suffer from back issues at an early age and then only play sporadically? Sure, that's smart ... particularly when options are available to relieve those stresses.

I thought carrying my bag was going to help me get exercise, over and above a push cart. Studies seem to indicate that a push/pull cart won't lessen my physical exertion. Next time a good price comes up on one, I'm buying. Bo Van Pelt be damned.

U missed a good deal on the Caddytek ezfold on amazon the other day.. $150 shipped! Now its nearly $200!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

College Golfers using Push Carts

I carried my bag until last summer, honestly I should have bought a cart years ago, of course I only golfed every couple years back then. Considering most golfers I see ride for most of their rounds I can't believe people would say anything.

I carried my bag until last summer, honestly I should have bought a cart years ago, of course I only golfed every couple years back then. Considering most golfers I see ride for most of their rounds I can't believe people would say anything.

I have never understood why motorized carts are "acceptable", but pull/push carts aren't.

People have too much time on their hands to be worried about this.

As a past college golfer, we always carried our bags. It was a bit of pride to carry a bag with your college name on the back, it was a bit of a badge of honor to do so. However, as much as it might look silly, I wouldn't have an issue with a guy I'm playing with use a push cart. Just like I wouldn't have an issue playing with any of you fine THP'ers if you wanted to us a push cart, too. Just because a kid, who plays at a high level in college, wants to use a push cart doesn't make him less of a player in my eyes. It's not like it's giving him an unfair advantage by using it, the push cart doesn't give him yardages or hit the ball for him.

We should all go back to trying to hit a rock into a gopher hole with a stick. That's real golf. :clapp:

The first 5 years I golfed as a junior the bag I carried at a single strap that I would always carry on my right shoulder. Now when I stand normally my right shoulder is about 1 inch lower than my left. I don't know the actual reason why my standing posture is off like this but in my mind it goes back to carrying the bag on my right shoulder so much that it altered how I stand.

I only play 10 or so rounds a year and have a cart half of that time so I don't put too much stress on my back. But considering how much golf a college player plays I can see why a push cart would help.

Leave it to those Stanford hippies. This would never happen at Stansbury.

This is priceless right here. Well played Hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are the Harvard of the west

Exactly.

Well I'm a 33 yr old back in college and my cheapo pull cart has helped my game. I'm less of an exhausted mess with a stiff back for 17 and 18

I think it's great. I've had a lot of relief since starting to use a cart this year. I only wish I did it sooner!! These kids should take advantage of it!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Back