TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

Hey everyone. I was one of the 20 to win the Spider SI through the TMAG twitter contest. I really like the putter however I want/need to change the grip. I want to change it out to a SuperStroke Slim 3.0 however as I've seen in a few post here I know it will mess with the counterbalance weighting which is in the grip. I looked up ways to add additional weighting and the only one I have found is the Tour Lock system. The Slim 3.0 weights 60 grams +/- 5 grams and the Tour Lock system has a 60g and 75g weight that can be added however this will still be slightly off. Not sure if it will make that much of a difference between a few grams? Also with the Tour Lock system it looks like you have to buy a drill bit they sell for $20 and drill a hole in the end of the putter grip...not sure how I feel about that. Any takers on ways to do this?

Thanks!

I think another option that I've read in other threads in using lead tape and you can wrap it around then grip over it and just use enough to make up the weight difference. Just my 2 cents.

I had that thought too. I'm not sure how much lead tape would be needed to make up 70g? I'll need to break out a scale and figure that out. I'll call my drug dealing friends, they use scales that measure in grams, right?

(clearly I have no drug dealing friends if I can't even figure out what they weight it in)

I had that thought too. I'm not sure how much lead tape would be needed to make up 70g? I'll need to break out a scale and figure that out. I'll call my drug dealing friends, they use scales that measure in grams, right?

(clearly I have no drug dealing friends if I can't even figure out what they weight it in)

Haha that made me laugh. What if you took a fishing weight attAched it to the top secure it with lead tape then grip over it, kind of like extending the shaft but adding more weight?

If you have a long putter then that might not work either, just brainstorming.

Using Tapatalk

That's not a bad idea. Its the 35 inch model. I saw on Golfsmith's website they have a plastic plug basically that goes in the end and you can fill with tungsten and cap it which seems like that might work out better than getting the drill out and drilling a $25 brand new grip. I just looked up the lead tape...for the 1" wide lead tape it'd take 30 inches of tape to get to 70g.

The counterweighting is great...unless you don't like the standard putter and want to change it. Ha ha ha.

Just read someplace else about using a Cleevis pin from Home Depot or Lowes. I think it said a 1/2" x 3" pin is about 77g. Guess there are shorter ones too. Many guys said it fits perfectly. Going to HD now to check this out

Had the opportunity to play today with the Si and my Daddy Long Legs. I have to say I came away disappointed with the Si. Greens were fast and I felt the Daddy Long Legs set up and visual impact on the ground was far better than the Si... for some reason I didnt like the way the Si setup. My friend is finding the same issue to a certain extent he has said its getting better the more he uses it but he feels the edges being curved in to the back takes away from the lined presence of the rest of the club.

Just our 2 cents.

Cheers, Met.

So I went to HD and got a 1/2" by 2 1/2" Clevis Pin. I got the TM OEM red grip off. The Clevis Pin was slightly smaller than the butt end of the putter so I went around it once with duct tape (I'm sure you can use lead tape to give it a little extra weight however I didn't have any left)

10390463_913133957071_3528011549419596090_n.jpg

After this it was simple, tape it up, little grip solvent and slid it right on. Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy didn't have the putter grip in the color I wanted (pink and white for breast cancer, no not just because its pink) so I settled for the all grey. They did have an all black and white one which would of looked kind of cool. Oh well. Going out today to swing it and see how it feels. Just doing it around the house, it feels the same.

10358582_913133537911_2762125011765177724_n.jpg

Looks good! Hope it works out for you.

Using Tapatalk

I hope so. I'm sure there has to be other people out there who want to change that grip. That was the only fault I had with it...so far. Once I can't make putts with it then maybe ill find some more...ha ha

First post on here so hello. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this putter. Between this and futura x dual balance but from what I've read I'm really leaning to the ghost. Of course it will come down to a good session with both but I know what I like and I really like what you guys have said about this putter. You still enjoying this putter??

First post on here so hello. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this putter. Between this and futura x dual balance but from what I've read I'm really leaning to the ghost. Of course it will come down to a good session with both but I know what I like and I really like what you guys have said about this putter. You still enjoying this putter??

Welcome to the forum! The reviews in this thread a re quite telling, and this rendition of the Spider line is perhaps the best.

Love this putter sank a couple 20 footers today in my scramble.

Using Tapatalk

I haven't hit the future outside of the shop, so can't compare too much, I can't see what it would offer that the Si doesn't at a fraction of the price.

I still have mine in the bag and have no plans taking it from there so long as it keeps working for me.

after spending some time rolling the TM putters that were offered I decided to go with this putter with the slant neck for the 2014 Morgan Cup. I had narrowed it down to this and the Spider Mallet. Ended up rolling putts for about 25 minutes with them and just found something in the SI model that just seemed to work a little better. I think both are good putters and I probably couldn't go wrong with either one. I like how it set up, I thought it was easy to align, and the pure roll insert is good by me. Can't wait to get it on Staff Sponsor Day.

Played in a scramble on Saturday. The Spider Si performed just as well as I have come accustomed to....terrific !

Put this in the bag yesterday for the first time and was amazed.
Really easy to line up and the overall roll was very impressive. I still am not a huge fan of the CB so I am gaming a 34" Slant for the Morgan Cup

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Rolled the Spider Si for the first time today and WOW, I need one in my life BAD...

I purchased a Spider Si 35" on Friday, more by chance than anything! I was in my local American Golf store that a friend of mine manages to get a few bits and whilst he was dealing with another customer I headed over to have a roll with a few putters to pass a few minutes until he finished up. The intention was not to buy one! The first one I picked out was the Spider Si as I had seen this thread a week before and really liked the look of it in the pics and I had never rolled a CB. From the moment I picked it up it just felt right and from the first putt it had me hooked...

To give a bit of background I have always putted conventionally with a 31.5" and always considered myself to be a solid putter, if not a bit streaky. My weakness I feel is in spells I miss too many in the 4-8' range which can really mess up a good round, saving par, making birdie, keeping the double off the card, especially when off single figures. In a medal a few weeks ago I missed 9 putts in this range and it turned a good day tee to green into a horrible score. The flat stick really is where the round is made, saved or just thrown away. I have a couple of Scotty's that I switch between depending on green conditions and times of year and these really are my gamers, I have always enjoyed using them and would never have thought of changing them to be honest but that medal round got me thinking!

Anyway after rolling the Spider Si I did try a few others but kept coming back to it, the way it lined up and framed the ball just felt awesome and I could instantly feel the pendulum action from the CB and I hadn't missed a thing from 6'... I am now very interested! After a bit of bartering with my mate and some store credit I was walking out of the shop with a new putter for £70 :)

I spent a bit of time practising with it on the carpet indoors that night and on Saturday and decided I would put it in the bag for the roll up round on Sunday morning. I only got about 10-15mins in with it on the practise green before we teed up and it really didn't matter as it was awesome. I played great tee to green and thanks to the Spider Si I shot a 73 and only took 25 putts in the round, this did include a chip in and one I holed with the Si from 30' just off the green, so the number of putts is affected by this. The confidence I had with this putter is something I have not experienced for a long time and a truly wonderful feeling. Alignment is easy, distance control from the insert was amazing and I really took to the CB stroke much better than I expected. I ended up winning the Roll up and walked away with £60 winnings (it now only cost me £10!!) One of my playing partners (my pairs partner) christened the new putter the "Money Spider" this name will hopefully live on for a long time :)

Sorry to ramble on but wanted to share this as it really has me rather excited about golf for the rest of the year. I know it was only one round but with more practise this could be a huge game changer for me and get me back on track with getting the handicap down where it should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Geo did you go with the 35" or the 38"?

I went with the 35". The 38" felt crazy long for me and almost played like a belly putter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Think this is def gonna be what I go with. Being lefty haven't been able to find one in store to roll yet so it may be a blind purchase. Think I'll get the 35". I'll post after I get it

Had another solid day with this one and am really enjoying the stable feel.

One thing I have noticed is that I am missing more than enough putts inside 5 ft. I don't usually have issues with this distance but have missed a lot of putts I would normally make....

Anyone else had issues with shorter length putts?

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

One thing I have noticed is that I am missing more than enough putts inside 5 ft. I don't usually have issues with this distance but have missed a lot of putts I would normally make....

Quite the opposite for me, the Si was so solid on the shorter putts felt like I couldn't miss a thing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I was pretty consistent with putts inside of 6' with the Si. What is your miss on these putts?

Im the same inside 6 ft i feel pretty good and my misses have decreased a bit.

Using Tapatalk

Back