Driver Fitting and Ball Fitting Simultaneously

jlukes

Reaction score
It seems as if most driver fittings happen in a vacuum with whatever balls are present at the fitter/store. Since the ball plays a part in spin/launch, would it make sense to get fit for both at the same time?

If a ball is spinning too little off the driver, move to a higher spinning ball (which would also allow for more spin around the greens)?

I know that you should never chase perfect launch numbers, but I was wondering if changing a ball could impact driver numbers to the point where it makes sense to get fit for a ball/driver at the same time.

Up to the person of course.
Yes, a ball could change the numbers more so than just about anything else going on, outside of the club head.

Yes, a ball could change the numbers more so than just about anything else going on, outside of the club head.

after some recent really good rounds with cheaper balls and thinking back on my best rounds ever and what balls i was using i'm seriously considering a ball fitting. i used chrome + i had left over yesterday and was hitting some great shots and i think my 2 low rounds were both with q stars but i always tend to gravitate towards the most expensive balls for feel around the greens. i figure theres gotta be something to it and i think getting a fitting and seeing some numbers might help figure that out.

Considering it's often done indoors I don't see why you wouldn't want to use your gamer ball.

JB - that was going to be my next question: Do you believe a ball will alter launch/spin numbers more than a shaft?

after some recent really good rounds with cheaper balls and thinking back on my best rounds ever and what balls i was using i'm seriously considering a ball fitting. i used chrome + i had left over yesterday and was hitting some great shots and i think my 2 low rounds were both with q stars but i always tend to gravitate towards the most expensive balls for feel around the greens. i figure theres gotta be something to it and i think getting a fitting and seeing some numbers might help figure that out.

What does the online BFit tell you? I would think you'd be absolutely lethal with a B330

Considering it's often done indoors I don't see why you wouldn't want to use your gamer ball.

Hawk - I guess my question is really can you/should you change your ball while at the driver fitting. Ie low spinning head plus higher spinning ball (ie B330s or Rx) or Higher spinning head vs lower spinning ball (ie B330)

JB - that was going to be my next question: Do you believe a ball will alter launch/spin numbers more than a shaft?

Yes, I do.
Not for every person obviously, and it will depend on the different models in both categories being tested.

What does the online BFit tell you? I would think you'd be absolutely lethal with a B330

either B330 or B330S but like i said the Z star would be closer to that and i hit the q star so much better i am temped to try other kinds to see what i get fit for. in general. but every time i've been fit indoors and a few times out doors when i really was getting down to the nitty gritty and was ok losing a few balls to get real numbers i always brought my gamer ball at the time.

I've always been fit for a driver with whatever ball I'm currently playing. I just assume that others are doing the same. Although I would never try to use launch monitor data with my driver to choose a ball for me, especially since I only average about 6-7 drivers hit per round. The ball I play can't be picked off of launch monitor, I need to see how it flights and more importantly, how it reacts after it hits the green surface. Most of the super premium balls spin to much for my liking, although the swing tweaks I'm working on might change that.

Back