Side spin = 0......okaaaaayyy

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
Testing out some clubs at dicks today. Hitting the SLDR at 10.5 standard loft, I caught one that felt so good I was in awe. I looked up and saw a 102 SS and a carry of 235 ish. Also saw that it was on a rope. Looked closer and it had zero side spin. Is that even possible?

My avg SS last year was around 93-94. This year it's been much lower probably 88 or so. Today on the monitors I averaged 95 which is back to where it was.

Two clubs I'm pondering are the callaway BB and the SLDR. Or sticking it out and tinkering the R1 shaft and weights to get it to where It's performing better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible? Sure is.
It does rarely happen though.
Other shots showed the side spin number correct?

Well. A ball can't spin in two directions. Maybe that's what the machine was reading

Is it possible? Sure is.
It does rarely happen though.
Other shots showed the side spin number correct?

Yup the other 25 or so shots registered side spin and backspin. Just a lucky shot I guess!

Yup the other 25 or so shots registered side spin and backspin. Just a lucky shot I guess!

Did you get a backspin number on that shot?

Did you get a backspin number on that shot?

I looked at it but I don't recall what it was - nothing that stuck out. I think my overall backspin rates were in the 2900-3100 range

maybe the speed was below the sensitivity of the machine

Side spin = 0......okaaaaayyy

maybe the speed was below the sensitivity of the machine

That's what I'm thinking. No way it came off so clean like that but maybe close enough. I had some other low side spin numbers in the 100s and a couple in the teens, but nothing flat like that.

Last edited:
I'm going to stop by golf galaxy tomorrow and officially demo the BB so I can steal Phil's piggy bank this week. I'll try to get a printout and see if I'm able to replicate any of it even close to this.

Usually they break it down into a backspin and sidespin component.

If I remember correctly, the Flightscope I have been on will only read total spin. It does not differentiate between back or side.

If I remember correctly, the Flightscope I have been on will only read total spin. It does not differentiate between back or side.

I thought you were joking - that can't spin left and right lol. That is true. The monitors at dicks, GG and Golfsmith near me break it Down into side spin (left or right) and backspin. Also has total spin. How accurate they are I don't know but I generally know what range I am in and whether a club is producing more or less so that's all I really look for. I don't chase certain numbers like many do. I'm not good enough for that! It's just helpful in seeing the effect of changing lofts, weights, shafts, etc. When comparing clubs.

Spin numbers can be a bit suspect sometimes. It's a hard figure to measure unless you're using the old striped balls. I don't think I've ever hit at Dick's on a monitor but some monitors don't measure it, only calculate it. Let me put it this way...as I understand it, the monitor will only see your ball for a portion of a rotation and must then derive spin from that. If it misses even a small portion of that spin (either way), your spin rates are off. Now, in statistics or operations management, we can handle a bit of dispersion because if you hit 15 balls, our accuracy should increase. But on any given hit? Much more of a crap shoot in my opinion.

As to your question, no, I don't think it's possible, or rather, I think it's only a bit more likely than correctly selecting the 64 NCAA Tournament games.

Just my $0.02

Testing out some clubs at dicks today. Hitting the SLDR at 10.5 standard loft, I caught one that felt so good I was in awe. I looked up and saw a 102 SS and a carry of 235 ish. Also saw that it was on a rope. Looked closer and it had zero side spin. Is that even possible?

My avg SS last year was around 93-94. This year it's been much lower probably 88 or so. Today on the monitors I averaged 95 which is back to where it was.

Two clubs I'm pondering are the callaway BB and the SLDR. Or sticking it out and tinkering the R1 shaft and weights to get it to where It's performing better for me.

Exact thing I did before selecting the BB - compared it to the Cobra Bio Cell, Bio Cell +, SLDR, and BBA - got the most consistent results with the BB.

I also brought in my gamer at the time (R11S) to make sure it was a wise investment - first non-Taylormade driver since the Steelhead Plus!

Yes it's possible, rare but it is possible.

Back