TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

I want to use the mini as a three wood off the ground, I know i will have to demo one and see if I can, I just always hit driver off the tee, very sledom anything else, but I can think of several courses and holes at my local course i could use off the tee, I still use a adams 9032ti fairway that i love and hit ti well, the callaway deep looks to flat and not square enough for me, but I'll try it to,
I just want some extra distance on reaching par fives on the second shot, I've hit the sldr driver and love it it's long for me anyway

The Mini is playable off the deck by some you really need to give it a try i can and have hit it from the deck with sucess but others here have not

I want to use the mini as a three wood off the ground, I know i will have to demo one and see if I can, I just always hit driver off the tee, very sledom anything else, but I can think of several courses and holes at my local course i could use off the tee, I still use a adams 9032ti fairway that i love and hit ti well, the callaway deep looks to flat and not square enough for me, but I'll try it to,
I just want some extra distance on reaching par fives on the second shot, I've hit the sldr driver and love it it's long for me anyway

I have not tried to hit it off of real grass yet, butI had no trouble hitting it off the mat. It was definitely a lower flight than off the tee, but still usable in the right situation. That being said, I don't foresee this as a club I regularly use from the deck.

I have not tried to hit it off of real grass yet, butI had no trouble hitting it off the mat. It was definitely a lower flight than off the tee, but still usable in the right situation. That being said, I don't foresee this as a club I regularly use from the deck.

I took 3 swipes off the mat at PGASS and hit 2 well and 1 not so well. I really doubt I would ever use it off the deck unless it was a do or die situation.

I took 3 swipes off the mat at PGASS and hit 2 well and 1 not so well. I really doubt I would ever use it off the deck unless it was a do or die situation.

The 1 situation I think it would be great for is in the light rough, when the ball is sitting up. I almost always go under those with a shallow faced fairway when I'm trying to pick it off of the grass. But you're right, this will be used almost exclusively from the tee for me.

The 1 situation I think it would be great for is in the light rough, when the ball is sitting up. I almost always go under those with a shallow faced fairway when I'm trying to pick it off of the grass. But you're right, this will be used almost exclusively from the tee for me.

I can see it being used for punch shots out of the trees too. Not that I would know what those shots are like or anything hehe

I can see it being used for punch shots out of the trees too. Not that I would know what those shots are like or anything hehe

That's the shot that made me go with a 5 iron over the 5 hybrid. For some reason, I have never been able to punch with a hybrid or fairway wood, I am great with a closed 5 iron though. Unfortunately, I get a lot of practice with that shot!

I wont put you in the trees, no worries.

That would not work for me i acually hit it fairly high off the deck

Have a 12* non-TP version on the way shortly. Excited to try it out - have a couple of shafts (Miyazaki C. Kua 59 fairway; Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 driver) that I will be interested in throwing in it to see how they perform.

If you are in the So Cal area, just got an email, $250 for 2 days of unlimited golf at PGA West and you get a free TM Mini! Must purchase by 6/15 and use the round before 9/28 I believe the email said.

If you are in the So Cal area, just got an email, $250 for 2 days of unlimited golf at PGA West and you get a free TM Mini! Must purchase by 6/15 and use the round before 9/28 I believe the email said.

That is one hell of a deal

I have never in my life hit this shot.

Until last Saturday.

Just got back from Golfsmith and they finally got a demo in. I only took a couple of swings with it (12* stock stiff), and I shouldn't have because now I want one, ha.

I currently game the 3deep, and the Mini definitely feels better to me. It explodes off the face and has a lighter feel. I enjoy the bigger face compared to the 3deep. Here are the numbers of the couple swings I took, all off the tee.

Swing Speed:101
Ball Speed: 147.4
Launch: 11.4
Total Spin: 3800 (A little high??)
Descent Angle: 44*
Carry: 238
Total: 257

In ponder mode.

Sounds like you came away as impressed as I did. Nice!

Those are some solid numbers!

HELP!

HELP!

Those are some solid numbers!
I am a 76 year old 10 hcp playing white tees w/ ss in the 80's. My driver miss is a block right. I have pulled my driver out of the bag and am using a R9 13* fairway set on draw w/ some success but need more forgiveness. My experience w/ the mini is limited to store mats and tee height was a problem. I don't have access to a demo and am concerned that a some what blind purchase might be a disaster. I'm looking at 12* in regular for tee use only. I'm afraid that without any adjustability this thing is going to go right on me . I have thought that a 2 or 3 deep might work but those heads appear to be open Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

I am a 76 year old 10 hcp playing white tees w/ ss in the 80's. My driver miss is a block right. I have pulled my driver out of the bag and am using a R9 13* fairway set on draw w/ some success but need more forgiveness. My experience w/ the mini is limited to store mats and tee height was a problem. I don't have access to a demo and am concerned that a some what blind purchase might be a disaster. I'm looking at 12* in regular for tee use only. I'm afraid that without any adjustability this thing is going to go right on me . I have thought that a 2 or 3 deep might work but those heads appear to be open Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

The Mini has a slightly closed face to me when i look at mine it should be more forgiving than the R9 fairway you might also want to give the higher lofter drivers a try the SLDR has a 16* driver which would be more forgiving than the Mini

Just got back from Golfsmith and they finally got a demo in. I only took a couple of swings with it (12* stock stiff), and I shouldn't have because now I want one, ha.

I currently game the 3deep, and the Mini definitely feels better to me. It explodes off the face and has a lighter feel. I enjoy the bigger face compared to the 3deep. Here are the numbers of the couple swings I took, all off the tee.

Swing Speed:101
Ball Speed: 147.4
Launch: 11.4
Total Spin: 3800 (A little high??)
Descent Angle: 44*
Carry: 238
Total: 257

In ponder mode.

Those Numbers look good I have noticed that mine has more spin than i would like that is why i am changing the shaft

The Mini has a slightly closed face to me when i look at mine it should be more forgiving than the R9 fairway you might also want to give the higher lofter drivers a try the SLDR has a 16* driver which would be more forgiving than the Mini

I think that will depend on how one views forgiveness. The larger head of the mini will offer more real estate for the golf ball compared to the R9, however with the forward CG, the miss in some instances will be much more penal.

As someone like the OP is, spin is most likely his friend at his age, and the R9 will in fact spin significantly more.

I think that will depend on how one views forgiveness. The larger head of the mini will offer more real estate for the golf ball compared to the R9, however with the forward CG, the miss in some instances will be much more penal.

As someone like the OP is, spin is most likely his friend at his age, and the R9 will in fact spin significantly more.

I was just thinking from a total face area compared to the R9 and The spin on the mini does not seem to any where near as low as the driver i know that moved the GC low and forward but the effect on spin does not seem as big in the smaller head for me i acually have lower spin # on my RBZ Tour spoon than the Mini which could be a shaft issue

Does anyone know if the stock non tp shaft in the mini with regular flex is nearly as good as the adila tour blue? I have a couple of x2hot woods and those shafts are great. I am a low ball hitter so I need as much height as I can.
I want to get the mini driver but I wonder whther to get the tp version and install the tour blue or leave it as is. I have a SS of 98 with a normal driver and shots tend to draw low with most clubs.
Opinions are highly appreciated!

Does anyone know if the stock non tp shaft in the mini with regular flex is nearly as good as the adila tour blue? I have a couple of x2hot woods and those shafts are great. I am a low ball hitter so I need as much height as I can.
I want to get the mini driver but I wonder whther to get the tp version and install the tour blue or leave it as is. I have a SS of 98 with a normal driver and shots tend to draw low with most clubs.
Opinions are highly appreciated!

Entirely dependent on the golfer. I don't particularly like the Aldila Tour Blue.

Hit this a couple times today with the TP Stiff shaft at 16°. With that setup, I bombed it a couple times in a row. Felt really great. If I used 3W strictly off the tee, I could see this thing being fantastic. I tried it a couple times off the turf, but the grass was matted down. So it was basically like hitting off flat dirt, with the ball completely against the ground. So I was having a little bit of a tough time getting it up in the air high enough, but I could see it working ok if you had a good lie.

On just a feel side of things, the 5deep blew this away for me today.

Unfortunately I didn't see any results as the monitor was broken. One super nice thing is that the store offers a 90 day trade in program where you get a full refund of store credit if you don't like a club. May have to try this out on a range and see real world results.

Back