2014 TaylorMade Tour Preferred Wedge Preview

Can you comment on if someone would consider mixing a set of wedges with the ATV and standard grind, or is it better to just stick to the ATV? Is there any disadvantages with the ATV in any situation?

Exactly the question ive been wanting to ask. I'm so stuck on wedge selection based on grinds. Part of me wants to just go atv to simplify but I'm just not sure. Ive kinda grown apart from my current old atv and not sure if I should stay traditional.

I got mine out in Carlsbad earlier this week for a TM event.

I will be able to comment more after weds buddy. Having only 1 round in with them makes it hard to comment soundly. I know the ones I am receiving are 54 ATV and 58 std bounce.

Thanks, looking forward to your comments! Have fun with them!

How did you get these? They are not out yet that I am aware of...
I may be mistaken about the ATV they may be standard but the 56* has the relief grind on the sole not the standard full sole.

Can you comment on if someone would consider mixing a set of wedges with the ATV and standard grind, or is it better to just stick to the ATV? Is there any disadvantages with the ATV in any situation?
Exactly the question ive been wanting to ask. I'm so stuck on wedge selection based on grinds. Part of me wants to just go atv to simplify but I'm just not sure. Ive kinda grown apart from my current old atv and not sure if I should stay traditional.
I can't comment on the new ATV wedges but I have a set of the previous model and as soon as I played with the 56°, I bought a 52° & 60° to go with it. I was always a tried and true traditional forged wedge player but the ATV sole/grind is SO versatile I immediately filled out the set. The standard KBS wedge shaft just makes it that much better. I'm looking forward to info here on the new version but at this point, once the ATVs I have now are worn out I WILL be getting a set of the 2014 model wedges to replace them.

I like what I am seeing from these wedges. I like the ATV grind so much on the 54, that I want them on both 54 and 58. For me, that 54 ATV grind has just been so easy to open up and hit a high soft shot. I have used them both out of the sand, honestly I like the 54 better than the 58, but will use the 58 in the right situation. Full shots seem to be pretty good too the they produce a good amount of spin.

I really like all my wedges. I just can't figure out what I want to go with because I've liked the performance of both. If the ATV has a little more heel relief than the bounce though I may lean that way just for the ability to open it up and still keep the leading edge fairly low.

I know the bounce version does it well so it'll be a nice comparison during my fitting

After trying the original ATV in a 58, I decided to order a 54 as well (via my company's "rewards program" site). Much to my surprise, I didn't receive the original ATV 54, but rather a new TP 54 with the ATV grind. Wasn't what I was expecting, but it is a great looking wedge, and I have high hopes for the ATV grind.

Spoiler
20140524_072823_zpsbt8w1eu5.jpg

Spoiler
20140524_074450_zpsvpskxzgo.jpg

Spoiler
20140524_072901_zpsgwq3wijw.jpg

Unfortunately, they didn't have these to demo when I went for my fitting. I'm going to a different golf store today to see if I can find one, otherwise it will just be a guess on which grind to go with.

Unfortunately, they didn't have these to demo when I went for my fitting. I'm going to a different golf store today to see if I can find one, otherwise it will just be a guess on which grind to go with.

I have the standard and they work well for all shots.

If you are more traditional with your wedge shot and hit full shots, go standard

If you are more creative with opening and closing them, go ATV

I have the standard and they work well for all shots.

If you are more traditional with your wedge shot and hit full shots, go standard

If you are more creative with opening and closing them, go ATV

Thanks, I'm normally more if a set wedge guy, so I really don't know which I would prefer.

Thanks, I'm normally more if a set wedge guy, so I really don't know which I would prefer.

Are you going set wedge in the SLDR irons to SW? What TP lofts are you looking for?

Are you going set wedge in the SLDR irons to SW? What TP lofts are you looking for?

Yeah, I'm planning on going ago the way to sw on the irons. Then either a 58 or 60 TP wedge

I'd go ATV then to give you some flexibility with it.

Just traded in my old ATV wedges for the new ATV tour preferred wedges in 54' and 60' lofts... a couple observations, and I want to see if anyone else making the switch has noticed this. Sadly, I couldn't demo these before I bought them.

1. The ball feels, and sounds, a lot harder ( much more of a clicking sound ) off the face than off the original ATV's.

2. This club head feels like it weighs substantially more than the original ATV.

3. Same excellent versatility factor with these clubs from just about any lie. I actually think these may be a bit better out of the sand than the original.

4. Full shot distances may have been a tad longer than the original, but I can't say I really did any due diligence on that to find out for sure.

5. Looks wise, these are beautiful wedges - much better than the originals to my eye

6. Biggest problem I had after one round was distance control. I am a very good wedge player, but I was overshooting my landing areas with nearly every shot. I had a 40 yard lob wedge shot to a back pin that I knew was right on the flag...well, I watched in horror ( well, shock maybe! ) as the ball flew over the pin and hit on top of the hill behind the green, took a hard bounce, and rolled OB.. Shots similar to this happened quite a few times. I think its due to the weight ( or the perceived weight difference in my head ) difference in these compared to the original ATV's - but who know for sure? It was my first round with them, and I know I will get them dialed in. Only thing that worries me is that when I went from Vokeys to the original ATV's, I had little issues.

Has anyone else made the switch?

Im interested in who has gone from the original ATV's to the new ones as well.

I love my ATVs. Wondering if the main difference is just looks because I like my ATV's in that department as well.

I haven't gone from ATV to these, but I have gone from J40 to these in the bounce version and the ATV grind for my MC bag for my 58 degree. I will say about the distance control issues, I have had a couple that just go an obscene distance. I think it has more to do with the indian and not the arrow though. Usually I can hear the compression hiss a decent amount on a full wedge. When it sounds really loud though, I'm usually asking for it to get down almost immediately because I've just hammered it.

These do seem to spin a heck of a lot on partial shots though. I've left myself a lot of longer than normal putts from these checking up really hard on the second bounce.

I like the fact that the they offer the ATV grind in the 50*-60* I am going to have to try the 52* std and the 58* ATV

I love my ATVs. Wondering if the main difference is just looks because I like my ATV's in that department as well.

I think these may spin a bit more.. I haven't tried to hit one lower with more spin yet, but I hit a ball badly in my last round with my 60 and it still checked up instead of rolling off the green.

I'm going to pick one of these up in a 56*. Funny, my first real sand wedge was a 1981 Taylormade Tour Preferred to match my Tour Preffered irons I played for almost 20 years. I may have throw a new grip on the 1981 version and take it to the range for a comparison to the 2014 version!

I played the original ATV's this year up until my trip to California when these became part of my bag. The new atv grind is a little different. It's not as bulky on the bottom(which I never really minded). It looks much more like a traditional wedge in that aspect. I find the amount of play with them though to be improved. I think it's much easier to open the face with the new grind as compared to the previous model.

I haven't gone from ATV to these, but I have gone from J40 to these in the bounce version and the ATV grind for my MC bag for my 58 degree. I will say about the distance control issues, I have had a couple that just go an obscene distance. I think it has more to do with the indian and not the arrow though. Usually I can hear the compression hiss a decent amount on a full wedge. When it sounds really loud though, I'm usually asking for it to get down almost immediately because I've just hammered it.

These do seem to spin a heck of a lot on partial shots though. I've left myself a lot of longer than normal putts from these checking up really hard on the second bounce.

We have played some similar wedges my friend. I went from the J40 to ATV to these. I don't seem to be having any real distance control problems with them. At least nothing that stands out more than any of distance problems I have. I also think they spin more than the previous model. I'm not a high spin wedge player, but I do like that about them very much so.

The only weird one was yesterday. I had 126 pin and took my 50 and hammered it. Based on the pitch mark on the back center of the green, it flew 137. That's an internet golfer like 50 degree wedge. Fun when you need it, terrible when you don't.

Really haven't had issues with it other than that. They've been really good to me in the short time I've had them

Any more updates on these new ATV wedges? I'm not really seeing the rave reviews that I saw with last years model

Any more updates on these new ATV wedges? I'm not really seeing the rave reviews that I saw with last years model

I think with there late arrival on the market most had there wedges set for the season i might give them a look next year

Well, the 58* earned a new nickname this weekend at the Morgan Cup for me. The thing is amazing for more creative shots. I am not sold on the 54* yet vs the standard sole since I dont tend to manipulate it so much.

I haven't had a chance to really test this wedge through and through, but from what versatility I did need, there wasn't a lie I felt it couldn't perform. The ball came out easy from hard sand, soft sand, and the rough. I'll give it a better run down over the next couple weeks though. Is there anything particular lie wise you want me to try out for you? I'll be able to compare both the bounce and ATV version for you, both in 58

Back