Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Went to the range today with the Bertha and all I can say is wow! Have my 10.5 set to +1d and on notch 2 draw side. Shaft is the Mitsubishi Zeta tour in stiff flex which you can find in the Alpha.

Nice boring flight which is high but didn't balloon with a baby draw.

I really loved how it was so effortless to swing and just showed more and more positive results. However I felt that when I was trying to "step on it" my misses were either low on the face leading to a very low line drive or a snap hook.

Amazing driver for sure - very happy with it so far!

Tap tap taparoo

Last edited:
I cannot wait to post my thoughts in here this weekend, the range at Purgatory will be it's break in period, I loved it during demo!

Finally got Bertha on course tonight. Overall a "good" day driving. Went Bertha long a couple times. Only poor driver was just an awful swing. Expecting better things next round as I settle in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I was at least a club less on most of my approaches today than I usually am, even on a few balls that felt off coming off the club. 50% fairways, but lots of first cut.

I pounded this old fat gal today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 18th hole at a local course, you either have to go right or left to miss a huge pine tree that's in the middle of the fairway about 180-200 yards out. I've never been able to flight the ball high enough to take it on... until Bertha. Now it's just another tee shot. Tee it high and let it fly. It's a fun shot to now have in my arsenal.

Just saw this one, man that is a long poke Josh. BB has really been a game changer for you buddy.

Had the BB 9° with me at Indy invitational. Hit some phenomenal drives this weekend with this. Including almost driving a par 4 at purgatory

Just saw this one, man that is a long poke Josh. BB has really been a game changer for you buddy.

That dang tree used to give me fits! Now if I could just figure out how to hit that green...

That dang tree used to give me fits! Now if I could just figure out how to hit that green...

You fly em and I pulp wood em

Had the BB 9° with me at Indy invitational. Hit some phenomenal drives this weekend with this. Including almost driving a par 4 at purgatory

350 some yards. Unbelievable dude. #InternetGolfers #5Witnesses #BerthaLong

Took the Bertha out for the first time on the course today. Need to tee it lower than my old driver for sure to see the real distance gains. Hit 7/12 fairways. One missed was a pull ob on the first tee. Wasn't slicing or fading the ball at all. Went either straight or with a baby draw. This driver isn't going anywhere for awhile.... Very happy. Hit one 270ish

Tap tap taparoo

Took the Bertha out for the first time on the course today. Need to tee it lower than my old driver for sure to see the real distance gains. Hit 7/12 fairways. One missed was a pull ob on the first tee. Wasn't slicing or fading the ball at all. Went either straight or with a baby draw. This driver isn't going anywhere for awhile.... Very happy. Hit one 270ish

Tap tap taparoo

Nice work. The lower tee height seems to be the consensus, wish I had known that during my short demo period

Played this all weekend and it was all over the place. I hit a few good drives but also some of the worst drives I've hit in a long time. Also after hitting a 588 custom so well it has my Bertha on the edge of being out the door.

Played this all weekend and it was all over the place. I hit a few good drives but also some of the worst drives I've hit in a long time. Also after hitting a 588 custom so well it has my Bertha on the edge of being out the door.

Bertha is a jealous one; better shelve the 588 and take her on a date to show your renewed commitment.

You never leave Bertha. She leaves you.

Played with my Bertha today, personally im not seeing really any more distance than my r11s but I did notice that the couple if miss hits I had were not as punishing. If I hit the r11s on the toe it had a big slice but today a hit the bertha on the toe and it still went straight, love the forgiveness.

Better be on the correct level of that one or it still doesn't matter much. :act-up:

Bertha was long for me all weekend in Indy. Sunday I made a small set-up change in my stance and I was hitting baby cuts right down the middle to about 220. I love this club.

I got the BB all tuned up today on the range at lunch, +2 and actually went back to N, and I saw a ton more carry than I was having with the AMP Cell, I can't wait for my rounds this week to put it through it's paces and I'll be back with more info!

Hit BB at the range today. Was a couple weeks since our last date, but you wouldn't have known otherwise. Long and straight bombs...this driver is just incredible. Just pick it up and swing.

Good reviews here! Seems a lot of people chose this over the alpha.....other than the $100 difference what's the concensus on this vs the alpha?

Good reviews here! Seems a lot of people chose this over the alpha.....other than the $100 difference what's the concensus on this vs the alpha?

When I was being fitted for a driver a few weeks ago the club fitted had me swing both the Alpha and the big Bertha. At the end of the day I preferred the feel of the regular Bertha nor just on contact off the face but I felt I knew where the clubhead was throughout the swing.
Also I was seeing more consistent numbers with the big Bertha. So for 100 less the fitter set me up with the regular big Bertha and the shaft of the big Bertha alpha (zeta tour)

IMO the regular Bertha is appealing to all players with the Alpha being more for the better player / the one who thinkers with their equipment and swing more.

Tap tap taparoo

When I was being fitted for a driver a few weeks ago the club fitted had me swing both the Alpha and the big Bertha. At the end of the day I preferred the feel of the regular Bertha nor just on contact off the face but I felt I knew where the clubhead was throughout the swing.
Also I was seeing more consistent numbers with the big Bertha. So for 100 less the fitter set me up with the regular big Bertha and the shaft of the big Bertha alpha (zeta tour)

IMO the regular Bertha is appealing to all players with the Alpha being more for the better player / the one who thinkers with their equipment and swing more.

Tap tap taparoo

That's interesting - it seems to me that they are very similar in adjustability. The difference being the alpha has the CG adjustment and uses the taylormadish weights instead of a sliding adjustment like the regular bb and SLDR. Otherwise they are pretty similar on paper are they not?

That's interesting - it seems to me that they are very similar in adjustability. The difference being the alpha has the CG adjustment and uses the taylormadish weights instead of a sliding adjustment like the regular bb and SLDR. Otherwise they are pretty similar on paper are they not?

They have different sized face depths and no alignment aid on the bba as well. And the Big Bertha Alpha spins even less than the regular big Bertha.

Tap tap taparoo

They have different sized face depths and no alignment aid on the bba as well. And the Big Bertha Alpha spins even less than the regular big Bertha.

Tap tap taparoo

I stopped and hit the alpha today. Didn't like it as much as the BB. Felt noticeably heavier on the head. I tried it with the corre both ways and with it lower I clipped the ground on the first few swings and then when I did hit it well didn't get much better results than my R1 and definitely not as good as the regular BB.

The monitor at Golfsmith was producing slower ss than dicks yesterday but was still getting decent numbers. I noticed that at 10.5 I hit it pretty darn high. I lowered it to 9.5 and still got a over average height for me. But carry was much better than my R1. For s***s and giggles I put it at draw and moved the slider to 1.5 towards the draw side. But 3 gigantic hooks. The adjustments on this club are more noticeable than the r1 that's for sure. I feel like I can close the face and move the weights on thAt and it makes no difference.

BB is a contender! I had a BB A while back and loved it. Maybe it's a good match for me!

Back