Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I'm going to get fit for new irons later this summer, and I really need to stop coming in this thread if I'm going to have an open mind going into that fitting. It just seems like so many people like these irons, and they work for a wide range of handicaps as well.

Do it.

Understood. One wouldn't know it was a lust of yours until they see you try to commandeer their 7 iron. In the middle of a round.

hahaahhhaha! I almost forgot about that. I only gave it back because Jman was in my group and had a set in the bag.

This is exactly how I felt when I demoed the Apex with Tour V. I had five irons in my hand from different manufacturers, and the Apex absolutely abused the bunch between distance and accuracy. I had been talking to a friend earlier in the year about club selection and proper options for me, as someone who primarily focuses on straight ball flight rather than trying to get fancy with left/right workability, and he said Apex should be at the top of the list.

It's the absolute truth, these irons are one of the best, if not the best release of the year -- And I really need to spend some more time with them.

Keep us updated on how many strokes you save after the transition.

When I was choosing between the Apex and Pro in Carlsbad, the Apex 6i was point and shoot golf. It was silly how long I was hitting it and how tight everything was landing.

It was vividly clear how awesome these irons are for me with the TourV shaft.

Here's the short video shot yesterday of two shots with my 8i. 2nd shot was a bit chunky and the flight is still amazing and far. I'm really curious to see how these will do with my current gamers, the SR2.

I am playing Saturday morning so we'll see how they do on the course, but to say I am thrilled/excited is an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1fRxnq0RY&feature=youtu.be

how are those PX flighted working in your 5 and 6 irons as in height and distance? wonder how they compare to XP 95/105 or the PXI

Good question, I'll try get a similar video of the 5i in action next outing. I can't speak to the comparison in the XP95 or PXI, but the flighted 95 is a good fit for me. I had always struggled to get the 5/6 JPX up in the air (I had KBS tour FST) but with these flighted 95's, it's ridiculous. The flight doesn't balloon but it goes high - I like it.

Might be something to consider on very windy days, but it's very penetrating and I'm seeing a lot more distance as a result. It honestly feels like the ball gets as high as the 8/9i. The flight with the 5/6i is similar to the video, not quite the same launch angle but pretty much just as high and FAR.

It is not applying the 30% discount and I am about to confirm the order. What gives?

Next coupon I get (that applies to the Apex) I'll probably pull the trigger...

Finally got to the range after work today. Unfortunately my local range has went downhill since the change of ownership so I had to hit out of what was essentially my backyard. I was pretty inconsistent with my swing and really just bummed out when I saw the grass I had to hit from. I did get some solid strikes on the ball and saw some good results. I hit my 6i over 175 a few times (normally 170) and hit my 5i almost 200 a couple times (normally 185). Problem was, the golf balls were so crummy...two good swings would produce 20 yard differences in flight. They still went straight for the most part and I am still excited to get them on the course Saturday morning. The feel of these clubs is still wonderful even with crap balls, crap lies and crap swings and I am seeing good flight with the tour v shafts...definately higher than the s300 but not ballooning. I will post more thoughts in the KBS thread.

It wasn't a complete loss though, I made good progress with BBA and my new CP2 grip which I will post in the respective thread. Hopefully Saturday I can give some better feedback as if any more feedback is needed on these bad boys.

I should also add the wind was gusting in my face at 20mph as a big thunderstorm is moving in as I type. That was a bummer as well.

Just got an email from Discount Dan's:
Callaway RH Apex Forged Irons 4-PW+AW Steel Stiff...$769.00
$25 OFF ANY ORDER OVER $500
$50 OFF ANY ORDER OVER $800
ALWAYS FREE SHIPPING AND NO TAX!!

Just got an email from Discount Dan's:
Callaway RH Apex Forged Irons 4-PW+AW Steel Stiff...$769.00
$25 OFF ANY ORDER OVER $500
$50 OFF ANY ORDER OVER $800
ALWAYS FREE SHIPPING AND NO TAX!!

I got that email too. Won't lie, I'm thinking hard about Apex with Recoil

Wish I had the $$ to purchase the Apex irons. I am in need of upgrading my irons in a major way. After my fitting in 2 weeks I just may not have a choice. Will have to try to explain the spend to my wife. :bicker:

I got that email too. Won't lie, I'm thinking hard about Apex with Recoil

Dean, I don't say this lightly, but best irons out there. Period IMO.

Dean, I don't say this lightly, but best irons out there. Period IMO.

I'm torn. You know my strong lust for those i25's. But a good deal on these could sway me.

I have a set with 680 recoils but last night I tried a set with 110 recoils and definitely made a difference. I could feel the weight of the entire swing and overswinging was not a problem like before. Definitely considering selling mine to fund a new set with heavier recoils.

Wish I had the $$ to purchase the Apex irons. I am in need of upgrading my irons in a major way. After my fitting in 2 weeks I just may not have a choice. Will have to try to explain the spend to my wife. :bicker:

I imagine you've hit some, and I know Freddie has the Pros, but if we meet up between now and September, you're welcome to hit mine.

Wait til the MC, then go bag by bag and grab some to try out since I know the ones ordered have been an assortment of shafts....almost a free fitting!

I imagine you've hit some, and I know Freddie has the Pros, but if we meet up between now and September, you're welcome to hit mine.

Freddie sold his Pros so no chance to hit those.

Freddie sold his Pros so no chance to hit those.
That's unfortunate. Well my offer still stands. Maybe we can round up a few others and play a round sometime in the middle of the state.

That's unfortunate. Well my offer still stands. Maybe we can round up a few others and play a round sometime in the middle of the state.

That would be fun. We'll definitely have to look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be fun. We'll definitely have to look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in. If we get enough, we can hold Greg down and steal his irons go play some golf and have a great time.

The shaft switch for me has been truly remarkable. I have added a solid four to six yards on my irons and the feel is so much better. In saying that it is the standard 300 Dynamic Gold shafts

The shaft switch for me has been truly remarkable. I have added a solid four to six yards on my irons and the feel is so much better. In saying that it is the standard 300 Dynamic Gold shafts

Glad to hear the shaft change is working well for you Trevor.

Back