Cobra Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ Irons Preview

These are both great components, but the + has taken the spot with the available shaft options. The standard shaft options just spin too much and launch too high for me. When I think it's high...it's high.

These are both great components, but the + has taken the spot with the available shaft options. The standard shaft options just spin too much and launch too high for me. When I think it's high...it's high.

The PXi was a real game changer for me during my fitting. Something about me and that shaft just click. After this weekend I'm kind if second guessing my choice because I played really tough courses well (except that 111, had nothing to do with the clubs) with Apex Pros, and the Bio Cell+ set up in a similar way. I'm going to stop talking now....regular bio cells and 400 yd 9irons it is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the feel of the PXi shafts! Have two sets of them, just never realized what they were giving me as far as spin and flight.

I enjoyed the PXI too but for some reason it was a little soft feeling and I couldn't get the dispersion where I wanted. We tried the 5.5 and 6.0 both, the optimizer recommended the 5.5. We stopped with thise 2 but I know they have a shaft that would fit me well, just need to tinker a little. I hit the XP R300 really well also and the S300 was even better in the XP. I went with the regular Dynamic gold S300 in the Bio Cell+'s, even though I was getting more distance with the R300, once we put the S300 in, the fitting dude stopped and said you'll not find better dispersion or numbers than what you have right there, I think it was around 3 yds and the spin was at 6050 rpm's, (6 iron) so we went to the woods. Both Bio cell irons have a feel and look of confidence and both give me the impression that they are much more of an expensive feeling club head with the + having just a touch more need for swing consistency. I really hope anyone looking for a set of clubs gives these their due, the design and weighting is fantastic and they are really pleasant to stand over.

Last edited:
Has anyone hit the rocketbladez (or speedblades) vs the bio cells? What were the differences? I ve had the rocketbladez for 18 months and I am a looking to get a bit of a higher launch (I hit everything low with any club due to swing flaw).

I plan on doing a comparison soon (this weekend?) between my JPX 825 6i, my testing Bio Cell 6i, and a Speedblade 6i that I just got from a fellow THPer. I'll definitely post my findings.

Now that Cobra took $200 off both the Bio Cell and the Bio Cell plus sets, there was no way I couldn't take advantage of that and try them out again. When I got fit for my clubs I was stuck between the Callaway Apex, Bio cell, and G25 irons back in February. I decided to go with the G25s (merely because of reputation and being one of 3 brands I knew were good brands and me being naive to the world of golf) at the time but a lot of things have changed since then and I've put a lot of miles in lol. With the price drop, I wanted to take a look at both the Bio Cell and the Plus.

After hitting both of them I really loved the feel and dispersion of the Bio Cell Plus. With my G25s and the Bio Cell demo, my miss was a sharp draw/hook. The Bio Cell was longer than both but distance wasn't a fair factor since the BC was a 6 iron and the BCP was a 7. I noticed that the few times I would hit a fat shot at the range, both the BC and BCP tending to get out of the dirt a lot quicker and allowed me to salvage the shot and get a decent amount of yardage and make some contact. The BCPs gave me a tad more yardage but the reason I pulled the trigger was my dispersion was excellent with the BCPs. My worst miss with the BCP was a nice slight draw which hooked less than half the distance compared to the BCs and my G25s. I even managed to hit a few that had a slight fade on it! My shots have never had the shot shape lol

My fitter felt that even though the Plus set was a "player's" improvement iron, it was a tweener between the G25 and I25 from the Ping family. I don't know enough about all of that, but since picking up this game last year, the more feedback and feel I have in my hands, the more progress I've made in my game. I know it sounds backwards, but I'm trading in my G25s for the BCPs. My fitter hooked me up with a great trade in value so I'm only having to pay about $60 after turning in my G25s for the BCPs with an orange back so I can rep my alma mater Campbell University :act-up:.

Such a great price right now. Congrats on the new sticks!

I hit the Bio Cells on the indoor sim the other day. Scary easy to hit. Super high launching. Ridiculously long. (7 iron - 190??!! What is going on?) Can anyone tell me how easy these are to work (draw/fade)? I only had a few swings and was too busy laughing at the high bombs I was hitting to actually try to play golf shots...

I hit the Bio Cells on the indoor sim the other day. Scary easy to hit. Super high launching. Ridiculously long. (7 iron - 190??!! What is going on?) Can anyone tell me how easy these are to work (draw/fade)? I only had a few swings and was too busy laughing at the high bombs I was hitting to actually try to play golf shots...

I have no issues working the ball with either set.

I mainly only work the ball left to right as a fade is my natural shot. I can say that the reg bio line is extremly simple to fade. I also agree that they are very long. About 1.5 to 2 clubs longer than my i25's.

Hey Doc. These are easy to work as long as your expectations aren't set to them moving like the Plus do. I didn't have a hard time getting a fade or draw, nor was it difficult to control the flight. It's not as dramatic as I get with my Apex Pros, but it's enough for us average humans (unlike Trout, who is just an animal....literally).

The 190 7i sounds about right. In my fitting a month ago I was carrying the 6i 205 (and I have photographic proof :act-up:

These are definitely going to be a fun set of irons to play.

Has anyone hit these against the Titleist AP1s?

Anyone done a head-head comparison with the amp cell line?

Less offset, better look at address, and for me a club longer than the AC's were.

I hit the + line against the Amp cell pro's and both clubs had plus's and minus's. The amp cell pro's are your typical blades but with some forgiveness toe to heel on the clubface, they were also easier to control both distance and direction wise, a 5 yd cut was a 5 yd cut. The + line was extremely forgiving for a player style club top to bottom and toe to heel on the clubface, you could feel the misses a little more on the + especially off the toe but it wasn't as punishing distance wise as the ACP. The + line is also a good club or two depending on where you typically hit it on the clubface regularly and the launch on the + was more inspiring or boring in trajectory. The wider sole on the + fooled me for a little while but once I got used to it (choked up 1/8 inch) it was brilliant, the divots were perfect. Both are great stick but to me the edge goes to the + line for various reasons, all around a great stick.

Anyone considered a combo set with the BC as long irons and the BC + as short irons? Are the stock shafts too different that this would be untenable?

Anyone considered a combo set with the BC as long irons and the BC + as short irons? Are the stock shafts too different that this would be untenable?

I think Howzat ordered that for the MC

I did go this route w/ KBS Tours. I went 6-8 BC and 9-GW BC+. The lofts match up perfectly and I think it will give me exactly what I am looking for. Max forgiveness in the longer irons and less offset in the shorter irons. We will see when July rolls around.

I did go this route w/ KBS Tours. I went 6-8 BC and 9-GW BC+. The lofts match up perfectly and I think it will give me exactly what I am looking for. Max forgiveness in the longer irons and less offset in the shorter irons. We will see when July rolls around.

I love that combo and I can't wait to see how it works out for you in July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less offset, better look at address, and for me a club longer than the AC's were.

A full club longer, wow. Ive got a blue set on the way. Hope I see the same thing!

A full club longer, wow. Ive got a blue set on the way. Hope I see the same thing!

me too! Were supposed to ship today, but think they're delayed due to low stock of blue grips

Nice, I got the blue grips as well. Blue was the sharpest looking IMO.

I hit the Bio Cell vs the Bio Cell + at the range yesterday. It was nice to see actual ball flight compared to computer-simulated ball flight. My thoughts:

Bio Cell

Very soft. Sets up nicely. I could hit it a mile when I was smooth. 7 iron was avg between 175 - 180. I found myself blocking a few and even hit a couple unintentional, weak fades that traveled 155 yards. Ultimately, the disparity scared me. I didn't feel like I had complete control of the club face that may be attributable to the offset.

Bio Cell +

For me, just as easy to hit. Hit the ball slightly higher and longer than my J40s but slightly shorter than the Bio Cell. The true test for me is not the short irons but the long irons. I tested the 4 iron and found it really easy to smooth it out there 200 yds. Shot dispersion was also consistent. I also didn't have the occasional weak fade that I did with the Bio Cell. They don't feel as soft as my J40s but they are close.

HOWEVER, the fitter decided to throw in a KBS Tour shaft instead of the stock S300 to ensure I had the proper shaft. It was horrible. I hit everything off the toe and every swing felt like a struggle. This struggle feeling is the one I sometimes get with my J40s and the PX 6.0s which has caused me to think new clubs in the first place!

So now I'm not sure what to do because it appears my struggles might be shaft-related, not iron related. Replace the shafts of my J40s (which will not be cheap) or buy the Bio Cell + irons? Not really sure at this point.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the bounce on the sand wedge in this set? I haven't been able to find it anywhere

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back