Playing Larger Grips

I switched from standard to midsize (+1/16") this season, and I wish I would have done it much sooner. My fingers aren't as sore, I have better control of my irons, and I feel that the larger grips have really improved my short game. Try it on a wedge and 6/7 iron first, and I think you will like the results.

I was another JumboMax tester, but I was the outlier. I HATED them on my wedges, was indifferent with them on my irons, and didn't mind it actually on my driver. That being said, I have tiny hands, and the gentleman from JumboMax even agreed that I wasn't a good candidate for them. I seemed to have lost all touch and feeling of the clubhead with the wedges and irons, yet it seemed to calm my transition with the driver. Just my 2 cents.

Like someone earlier said. Having an air gun and compressor is the easiest and cheapest way to try different size grips. I change grips in and out all the time in the blink of an eye.

I was another JumboMax tester, but I was the outlier. I HATED them on my wedges, was indifferent with them on my irons, and didn't mind it actually on my driver. That being said, I have tiny hands, and the gentleman from JumboMax even agreed that I wasn't a good candidate for them. I seemed to have lost all touch and feeling of the clubhead with the wedges and irons, yet it seemed to calm my transition with the driver. Just my 2 cents.

Like someone earlier said. Having an air gun and compressor is the easiest and cheapest way to try different size grips. I change grips in and out all the time in the blink of an eye.

I tested them also and was not a fan. I do however enjoy using midsize grips. Went with midsize NDMCs on my MC clubs.

I tested them also and was not a fan. I do however enjoy using midsize grips. Went with midsize NDMCs on my MC clubs.

yeah not sure id go crazy but mid size over my standard would probably be my first starting point

Definitely easier on my wrist and helps me not strangle the club.

yeah not sure id go crazy but mid size over my standard would probably be my first starting point

Forgive me, I haven't read the entire thread. Have you gone with extra layers of tape in the past to try out that size?

Forgive me, I haven't read the entire thread. Have you gone with extra layers of tape in the past to try out that size?

Not beyond +1 I think...really haven't tinkered at all.

I grabbed a couple of midsize Lamkin REL 3Gens at Golfsmith at lunch...going to drop one on my Bridgestone Driver from last year, the Altitude 4 iron that I don't play and my old 58* J40 wedge.....I figure that will give me a good sample of how it would work for me.

I wear a cadet medium glove and have played with standard grips +2 wraps since I first learned to regrip clubs in the70's. This was what all the teachers, fitters, etc. said was good for me. On the recommendation of a friend 2 months ago (because I could feel my grip changing in the transition) I tested a midsize grip (ping ID-8) on my driver and liked it but it wasn't quite enough.

A month ago I tried a Pure Pro .580 midsize grip on the .600 shaft and the fit was perfect. After one range session and round I immediately ordered a set and put them on all my clubs. They are the best feeling and performing grips I've ever used and I've been a staunch cord guy. I contribute a great deal of that to the fit, but the grips are pretty damn good as well. I'd highly recommend experimenting with various grip sizes to see what works best with YOUR SWING!

Yep, I have a similar story as in previous posts. When I was fitted for my irons the fitter measured my hands and according to the established "size chart" indicated that I "require" a standard grip +1 wrap. However, I have been playing a midsize grip +2 wraps for many years and I do not feel any tension in my hands that I did with the standard grips.

I wish I had known this in Indy, I play midsize grips and would have been glad to let you try them out. For me, the comfort level of the midsize grip is night and day difference. I liken it to adding extra wrap on the end of a baseball bat, which I did all the time playing baseball.

Another r.ange session and my hands effing hurt. Grips look worn already too this is getting out of control lol

I've played midsized grips for 10+ years but switched to whiteouts with 3 wraps last year and I liked them in my irons but switched back to midsize new decades for my 54/58 wedges and driver.

I don't like to feel like I'm strangling the clubs, have a left hand that was squished a long time ago playing football, and think the mid sized grips help promote a fade for me. Those whiteouts are so sexy though, so I could live with them as long as they have 3+ wraps.

Midsize cp2 on my driver performed well yesterday. Was able to relax my grip and they most definitely absorb vibration. Also only hit one snap hook yesterday but who really knows if the grip contributed to this or not.

Time to try it on an iron.

I had been playing standard +1 wrap for the past three years (which was recommended at a previous fitting), but when I was fit at the Annika Academy a couple weeks ago, I was told I should go midsize with my bigger mitts (reg XL or XXL glove). I ordered and installed midsize NDMC and got to play the first nine holes with them last week. I felt like they promoted a lighter grip pressure, and quieted my hands down a bit (which was nice considering the pull move I've been fighting). I look forward to spending more time with them, but I definitely think the bigger grips are helping.

I'm about to the mid size grips. Arthritis in fingers and wrist are a problem. I like tacky grips. I'm hoping for more comfort..

I didn't care for mid size when I tried them last year. They definitely quite the hands but to me I lost all feel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

went with the Lamkin x10 midsize on my wedges which is a thicker grip. I like the feel and am able to swing with more confidence. As far as comfort they can't be beat. I doesn't detract from feel one bit.

I prefer an oversize grip, mainly due to gripping the club in the palm of my right hand, but don't have problem with them even with a conventional Vardon grip. I used to fully believe that a thinner grip promoted a draw, and vice versa, but now I know that's not true. I can see the weight of a bigger grip throwing off the balance of a club making the head feel too light though, but that can be easily fixed.

Back