Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

The 60° K grind I have is money from the sand but everywhere else I wish it was a little lower bounce. It is just not very crisp on tighter lies, for me. I was thinking of getting another 60° in either the M or L grind. Anyone have experience with the L grind?

Yea I could see that. IMO it would make a better sand wedge and pitching club.

No feedback on the L from me, but if you can try the S I would highly recommend it.

I really got to spend some time in the sand this weekend with the 60.11K and it is money in a green side bunker. All I had to do was make sure I hit about an inch or two behind the ball and let the club do all the work. It was amazing.

I really got to spend some time in the sand this weekend with the 60.11K and it is money in a green side bunker. All I had to do was make sure I hit about an inch or two behind the ball and let the club do all the work. It was amazing.

Sure gives a nice little thump in the sand doesn't it?

Going to be trying these out at a demo day this week end at my course. Pretty sure I need some fresh wedges

I use my 60.7 s grind feom both the sand and our fairways are very tight at my home course. Our bunkers dont have much sand in them so you almost need to play it as if it was a tight fairway shot. These wedges make it so easy to be precise from and spot on the course. Just awesome!

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

This beauty just showed up from my member/guest tournament a few weeks ago.

63E387D6-B2C0-4A2C-823E-DFD755A71089_zpsszb42dzm.jpg

This beauty just showed up from my member/guest tournament a few weeks ago.

63E387D6-B2C0-4A2C-823E-DFD755A71089_zpsszb42dzm.jpg

That looks good. Why did you go with the "F" grind?

For those that have the raw black sm5's; are you guys seeing any rust develop on your wedges? My 50* had a shaft label that said these are designed to rust but after about 12 rounds, I am seeing the same kind of wear as my 588 rtx black pearl wedges.....no indication of rust from normal play.

For those that have the raw black sm5's; are you guys seeing any rust develop on your wedges? My 50* had a shaft label that said these are designed to rust but after about 12 rounds, I am seeing the same kind of wear as my 588 rtx black pearl wedges.....no indication of rust from normal play.

No rust for me yet. The finish is actually holding up pretty good. Which kind of amazes me. I would have expected to see much more rust.

I told them I was a digger on my wedges and the rep recommended the F Grind in the 56.14. I needed more bounce.

I would think in tighter conditions less bounce would be better, but if they recommended who am I to argue. :)

I went S & M grinds with 10* & 8* bounce bc I tend to dig also and the higher bounce does not work for me. Interested to see how this works out for you.

I had a lesson the other day with my pro and said I need more bounce based on my swing and our grass/conditions here in TX.

Made some pretty good recovery shots with this one from a bunch of interesting lies over the weekend. Fescue, fried egg, rough.

Saw in real life how important getting the right bounce/grind is for a guy. To me, the lower bounce and S Grind is a big benefit from basically everywhere - sand, fairway, rough. Foresthills Golfer had left his 60° at the course and I let him use mine on a hole and he pretty much needs the opposite. Big dig that hurt him on a hole. Where I'm brushing the grass, he is cutting divots though. Take the time to demo or seek professional advice if you're looking at these, especially with all the options.

Success I've seen aside, I'm going to try to get away from using the 60 so often. Especially when I'm outside 30'ish yards. Just putting enough spin on the ball that I'm leaving myself shorter than desired and I think a little less loft will cure that. Like the wedge so much that it's just hard not to use it, but it's not always the right choice.

Made some pretty good recovery shots with this one from a bunch of interesting lies over the weekend. Fescue, fried egg, rough.

Saw in real life how important getting the right bounce/grind is for a guy. To me, the lower bounce and S Grind is a big benefit from basically everywhere - sand, fairway, rough. Foresthills Golfer had left his 60° at the course and I let him use mine on a hole and he pretty much needs the opposite. Big dig that hurt him on a hole. Where I'm brushing the grass, he is cutting divots though. Take the time to demo or seek professional advice if you're looking at these, especially with all the options.

Success I've seen aside, I'm going to try to get away from using the 60 so often. Especially when I'm outside 30'ish yards. Just putting enough spin on the ball that I'm leaving myself shorter than desired and I think a little less loft will cure that. Like the wedge so much that it's just hard not to use it, but it's not always the right choice.

Interesting what you say about the 60*. The exact reason I went 58*/M. It's versatile enough inside of 60-70yds & greenside bunkers. Confidence with these is at an all time high right now & helped me on some shots Sunday.

I have one of those too lol. 57 I guess, but similar. Perfect world I'd bend this one weak a degree, but I'm cheap and haven't had a chance to get to a store either.

Short pitches just stick a little more with this. May be the new grooves as well.

I have one of those too lol. 57 I guess, but similar. Perfect world I'd bend this one weak a degree, but I'm cheap and haven't had a chance to get to a store either.

Short pitches just stick a little more with this. May be the new grooves as well.

I think there is something with the new grooves. Like you I don't take a huge divot, but do make one and the ball has a one hop and stop most of the time. Granted the golf ball itself helps (SR2 in my case) but the grooves are great & generate spin.

I'm even thinking about adding the 50* and getting rid of my set GW I like these so much.

Very nice. One day I'm going to have all three bent to my specs I do believe. Very impressed with these so far.

Very nice. One day I'm going to have all three bent to my specs I do believe. Very impressed with these so far.

Do you have an "F" grind in the mix? I noticed in the 50* it's only available in that grind & seems close to the S in terms of sole & trailing edge.

Sorry, I don't.

I know it is all personal preference but for anyone who has tried these against the 588 RTX range, which do you prefer and why?

The golf magazine that I received yesterday had a section on wedges and these came out on top, followed by the 588 RTX, so I am considering giving these, the 588 RTX and the MD2 ranges a try to see what I like best

After that, I will have to read up on the various grinds to see if I can work out what would suit me best for the courses I play and my technique

I'd play either with no qualms. Tons of options with both brands in terms of bounce and lofts, with the grinds being available custom through Cleveland as well. I'm pretty excited to see what the Cleveland wedges I play in the MC do for me. My experience demoing them and playing a 58 for a couple rounds was quite positive.

I know it is all personal preference but for anyone who has tried these against the 588 RTX range, which do you prefer and why?

The golf magazine that I received yesterday had a section on wedges and these came out on top, followed by the 588 RTX, so I am considering giving these, the 588 RTX and the MD2 ranges a try to see what I like best

After that, I will have to read up on the various grinds to see if I can work out what would suit me best for the courses I play and my technique

I like the SM5 for the grind options, but having only used it for a couple of rounds, I prefer the RTX because of comfortably. Both are great wedges, not sure I could separate a lot between them though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm so looking forward in finally getting to hit this club, hopefully on Wednesday. I'm with you Hawk, if one can find the right bounce in a wedge it's like night and day. This will be the most bounce I've played with on my 56 degree so really wondering if it will help with some of my "whoop" shots. I have high hopes.

Do you have an "F" grind in the mix? I noticed in the 50* it's only available in that grind & seems close to the S in terms of sole & trailing edge.
You can try my 56 degree with F grind in about 10 days! He-He!

I'm so looking forward in finally getting to hit this club, hopefully on Wednesday. I'm with you Hawk, if one can find the right bounce in a wedge it's like night and day. This will be the most bounce I've played with on my 56 degree so really wondering if it will help with some of my "whoop" shots. I have high hopes.

You can try my 56 degree with F grind in about 10 days! He-He!

In theory, the higher bounce should give you a little more forgiving turf interaction, especially if you are steep. Looking forward to your thoughts Natedogg.

Back