Garmin Approach S3 vs Bushnell Neo XS

JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
Anyone have any opinions on either of these units? After playing with Hawk and seeing how handy his watch was I decided to go this route as opposed to a hand held unit. Most important thing is accuracy to me. I know the new S4 can get texts, emails, and all sorts of other stuff but that doesn't interest me.

I need precise distances and important functionality such as hazards, layups, able to see the screen in bright light, etc.

Thanks

The device works great. I loved the features of the Neo XS. However, I freaking hated wearing a watch during golf.

No Sir, sorry.

NP appreciate the info on the Neo. So all the yardages to hazards and such were accurate? Any issues with cloud cover? I noticed here in Iowa when it was cloudy my XGS really struggled.

I've never once noticed an issue with cloud cover wearing my neo-x. I have about 30 rounds now with this watch. It's so light I never even notice it's there, but if I ever forget to bring it I always find myself looking at my wrist for a quick distance :)

I've never once noticed an issue with cloud cover wearing my neo-x. I have about 30 rounds now with this watch. It's so light I never even notice it's there, but if I ever forget to bring it I always find myself looking at my wrist for a quick distance :)

I have the Neo-X and agree with Baldguy. I couldn't play comfortably without it now!

I have a Neo-X and it gives you what you need. Plain and simple!

Bump before I head to thee store to buy one of these!

I have the s3 and it serves it's purpose for basic gps functions. It will tell you front back and pin distances as well as layup yardages. Battery lasts about 36 holes. For a basic quick yardage lookup, it's a good device. If you want more features like hazards and more integrated features it's better to go in a different direction.

We reviewed the XS here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=22110

I still use it every single round and will continue to do so. Accurate numbers, no issues in weather, no issues in clouds.

Apparently I still stuck at the search function. Thanks for the link it Sounds like everything I need. Hopefully it fits my wrists well.

I love my Neo X so im sure the new one is even better

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Yeah if you dont use the scorrecard option, i see no reason to go garmin, and this is coming from someone who have a s2 and a s4

Thanks for all the replies guys!

If you are looking to buy one shoot me a pm. I have a mint (used two rounds) s4 that i can let go very cheap

Just sold the Garmin S1 on ebay after using it for two years. Replaced it with Neo XS. Garmin would only get one round per charge. XS gets two easily and maybe three (have not pushed it yet to see). XS has up to four hazards per hole which is nice for lay ups, etc. Garmin is more money. I had trouble reading the display inside with the XS having white digits on black background. Switched to the black digits on white background and can see the display much better.

The Neo X is older but cheaper and will last four full rounds on a full charge if you keep your round around 4 hours. My rounds typically end up being 4.5 hours and the battery couldn't make the last 4 holes on my fourth round on one charge.

It it has black letters on a typical digital watch background and can be seen in any lighting.

368500-lg.jpg

Yeah I have never had any problems with my s1 seeing it in any light. If I had to choose, feature wise I'd go neo xs and I think they are the same price so even better in its favor. That said I love my garmin s1 and won't upgrade until it craps the bed. All I really want is front , middle, back so the other features don't speak to me on the xs.

FWIW, I love my S3. I use the scorecard stuff because it's nice to go back and look at the history of courses. Batter is great too - I get three to four rounds a charge. Almost went with the Neo but ultimately I don't like having a watch on while on the course.

Great info on the XS. Wish I could try it in person first but the reviews are encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one weakness in the XS is lack of dynamic greens distances. For the $ though the XS is great.

The device works great. I loved the features of the Neo XS. However, I freaking hated wearing a watch during golf.

Neo XS works great, within a yard or two in testing it against Car GPS, IPhone App, and handheld rangefinder. I never wore a watch when golfing before, but it's so light and comfortable i never notice it.

Back