Squints

Reaction score
Handicap
Turrible
Does anyone else find themselves to prefer to use an odd iron (3,5,7,9) than an even (4,6,8)? I really have no good justification for it, but I usually feel more comfortable with an odd numbered club. I know that I should just play the yardage, but there has to be something about comfort level. Is there any reason for this, or do I just need to stop thinking when I pull my 6i and 8i out?

I don't have an even/odd issue. I have an issue with anything that doesn't end with "wedge" in the name. Though I can hit my 7i, 8i, and 9i pretty well now. Making progress on the 6i. I don't even bother gaming anything lower at the moment.

I don't have an even/odd issue. I have an issue with anything that doesn't end with "wedge" in the name. Though I can hit my 7i, 8i, and 9i pretty well now. Making progress on the 6i. I don't even bother gaming anything lower at the moment.

Just call it a 7 wedge. It's all in your head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issues here.

Does anyone else find themselves to prefer to use an odd iron (3,5,7,9) than an even (4,6,8)? I really have no good justification for it, but I usually feel more comfortable with an odd numbered club. I know that I should just play the yardage, but there has to be something about comfort level. Is there any reason for this, or do I just need to stop thinking when I pull my 6i and 8i out?

When I first started out I never used even numbered clubs. But as I got more consistent I realized that I needed those clubs to cover yardage gaps.

It depends on what day it is. Some days they are all odd :alien:

Nah for me. Although I do feel that my 6i and 4W are the most moody clubs in my bag.

All in your head. I used to think like that. Could be a yardage thing too. I never use my 9 iron or PW. Lots of 8's and 50 deg shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter to me. But...

...the non-14-club starter sets that used to be sold (are they still sold?) typically had only the 3-5-7-9 irons. Perhaps you had one of those sets in the past and developed a preference for the odd-numbered irons?

Doesn't matter to me. But...

...the non-14-club starter sets that used to be sold (are they still sold?) typically had only the 3-5-7-9 irons. Perhaps you had one of those sets in the past and developed a preference for the odd-numbered irons?

I did have one of these as a kid. Perhaps that's the basis of my comfort level.... good call!

No preference here, even or odd. At one point early in the season I noticed I was hitting my 8-iron more than usual, but that turned out to be strictly coincidence.

I alternate between the odds and evens during my practice sessions. I trust all my irons....well maybe not so much the 5 iron lol.

The numbers have never even registered with me. I think I would drive myself batty if I were to even think about that for more than a second.

My first sets were 3/5/7/9 irons. Can't say they made me any more comfortable. It's just a number. It IS easier to hit an 8 than manufacture a shot with a 7 or 9 that fits it.
I remember looking at some of the adults and thinking they must be REALLY good if they have all those irons.

Just hit whatever seems appropriate. Hell, if you carry, drop the even clubs. The bag will be lighter and the satisfaction from sometimes manipulating clubs over a wider range probably cancels out the "Augggh this is an 8i" moments.
I've played poor but fun golf with between 8 and 16 clubs at times. Hasn't made a huge difference to my scores.

Never heard of it......I play clubs based on loft and the distance. The number means nothing really.

In teresting topic and a few of you are mentioning sets with odd numbers and i seem to remember that too from many years back. I do wonder though why , where , how and what that was all about. Come to think of it why is/was the 1(or driver) then 3w, 5w more the norm especially years back? Even today not many 2w and 4w around. Although with the variations in loft ones 4w may be the same as onother 3w or 5w. But in any case I wonder why it always seemed to be the odd numbers of 1,3,5 woods and then 3,5,7,9,irons as the norm especially for one starting out. I dont think thats the case anymore and may sound strange to yiounger generations but it did exist as such some few decades ago. Actually its probably still the norm to go 1,3,5 for woods. Perhaps starting at 1 just lead to follow suit with odd numbers. maybe if it started at "0" the norm would have gone 2,4,6,8. Who knows lol

it's an interesting topic. I think I do feel more comfortable with my 4, 6, 8, PW or 54* in hand. those are all "even numbers" in my bag if you extend the number scheme down into wedges. No real reason for it, and I have no issue pulling 3, 5, 7, or 9. just more comfortable with the evens I guess. subconscious superstition, probably... not that golf has any superstitions!

Back