THP TV - Tour Acceptance - KBS Tour V Shafts

I have installed a KBS Tour V 120x 5i shaft in my Ping S55 6i ( soft stepped ) 37 3/4 (+1/4) .
The shaft is N1 (soft side) to target as its fairly stout on the flex board.

My initial thoughts after some range and play is this shaft is low launching, and knuckle ball low spin. Ball flight is bullet straight with very little spin.
I am going to soft step twice to get my launch up higher, as I have already bent my 6i to 34* on my Scotland loft n lie machine (weak) that has the old loft standard.

The feel is smoother than a DG X100 and I feel DGS300 player can handle a x2 soft step. I hit my 6i 175yards, Driver SS 100-105mph, load fairly solid at the top. I am playing the Ping CFS stiffs in my S55's...yes they are a tad soft, I can get away with the short irons, but the long irons need more stability. I have a tendency to hook/pull the 6i and always need a solid stiffer shaft. Well the Tour V is the ticket, so I am going to move this to my 7i and buy some more for the 3,4,5,6irons next.

I have hit a lot of x flex iron shafts over the years...this is the tightest dispersion and a 'smooth feel' to boot. You know its stiffer but the feel does not make you go at the ball or swing faster, I am still confident in a smooth swing or backing off. I just need to get my launch up, and thus soft stepping twice is a longer tip section increasing the launch...but by no means a softer overall flex. This shaft in a low CG head would work awesome.

My build is a D2 swing weight, and will be D3 shorter irons

I highly recommend the Tour V 120 x, just set N1 to target (9 0 clock) to get a softer side of the shaft if your a stiff/stiff+ shaft player. If you swing around 105-110mph Soft Step once.

These are VERY straight shafts with a new level of control...years ago I had a rifle 6.5 fcm 5i shaft that was spine set magic and was a dart...that is what I am feeling

I cant wait to Kim to offer a 120gm S+ version

I have installed a KBS Tour V 120x 5i shaft in my Ping S55 6i ( soft stepped ) 37 3/4 (+1/4) .
The shaft is N1 (soft side) to target as its fairly stout on the flex board.

My initial thoughts after some range and play is this shaft is low launching, and knuckle ball low spin. Ball flight is bullet straight with very little spin.
I am going to soft step twice to get my launch up higher, as I have already bent my 6i to 34* on my Scotland loft n lie machine (weak) that has the old loft standard.

The feel is smoother than a DG X100 and I feel DGS300 player can handle a x2 soft step. I hit my 6i 175yards, Driver SS 100-105mph, load fairly solid at the top. I am playing the Ping CFS stiffs in my S55's...yes they are a tad soft, I can get away with the short irons, but the long irons need more stability. I have a tendency to hook/pull the 6i and always need a solid stiffer shaft. Well the Tour V is the ticket, so I am going to move this to my 7i and buy some more for the 3,4,5,6irons next.

I have hit a lot of x flex iron shafts over the years...this is the tightest dispersion and a 'smooth feel' to boot. You know its stiffer but the feel does not make you go at the ball or swing faster, I am still confident in a smooth swing or backing off. I just need to get my launch up, and thus soft stepping twice is a longer tip section increasing the launch...but by no means a softer overall flex. This shaft in a low CG head would work awesome.

My build is a D2 swing weight, and will be D3 shorter irons

I highly recommend the Tour V 120 x, just set N1 to target (9 0 clock) to get a softer side of the shaft if your a stiff/stiff+ shaft player. If you swing around 105-110mph Soft Step once.

These are VERY straight shafts with a new level of control...years ago I had a rifle 6.5 fcm 5i shaft that was spine set magic and was a dart...that is what I am feeling

I cant wait to Kim to offer a 120gm S+ version

Thanks for the insite. I'm playing the regular Tour's in an x-flex (soft stepped) and this year like no other, I'm hitting the ball too high for my liking. I love the feeling but seem to get punished in the wind. I'm having to play so many knock-down shots... So I was thinking I'd like to give the Tour V's a shot, x-flex straight up with no stepping (usual driver ss is 108-112ish) and I carry my 6i 180yds - so I'm similar to you in that respect. I do have to say that I really like the dispersion of the x-flex even though I might be leaving some yds on the table with other options.

The Tour V has knocked spin down a lot. So perhaps weaken your lofts to get drop n stop high darts.
I feel they are slightly counter balanced so build D2+ to reduce the flippy and gain some headweight/Lag like the DGX100 feel

THP TV had a chance to chat with KBS about the tour acceptance of the new KBS Tour V shafts.

Bumping this awesome video and thread, because all I can think about lately is Tour V.

I've hit the stiff flex tour V in the Callaway Apex iron a handful of times, and have come away extreeeeeemely impressed each time. The flight is a true mid for me, which I almost never see in an iron shaft, and it's complimented with what appears to be an ideal amount of spin.

It's really breaking the mold for me on the weight logic, as I've always tended to lean towards heavier shafts. It's also really interesting to me that these shafts launch notably lower than C-Tapers do, in a similar flex. Really goes to show what the proper fitting will do, and how unique our swings are.

I think later on this summer I am going to find a set and put them into my gamers. Might even seek out some X Flex, but I really don't think it's necessary!

So impressive. Anyone else hit these or are playing them?

got em in my Apex. really liking them and putting them thru 36 holes this weekend.

Nice bump. I really like mine. It's a great pairing with the Apex/Apex Pro. I still hit them really high (which is great for long irons), but I haven't found something that knocks the ball flight down much. They feel so much better to me than the C-Tapers. The Vs feel stable but smooth.

Nice bump. I really like mine. It's a great pairing with the Apex/Apex Pro. I still hit them really high (which is great for long irons), but I haven't found something that knocks the ball flight down much. They feel so much better to me than the C-Tapers. The Vs feel stable but smooth.

The feedback is world's apart. Tour V is crazy smooth for me!

The feedback is world's apart. Tour V is crazy smooth for me!

Yep. I couldn't bag the C-Tapers based on feel alone for me. KBS got it right with the Tour V.

I have read that the Tour V is a low spin shaft. What exactly does this mean and how does this effect the ball flight?

I have read that the Tour V is a low spin shaft. What exactly does this mean and how does this effect the ball flight?

I think it depends a lot on your swing profile. You're looking at a true mid launch iron shaft with low spin, which is tremendous for someone like me who suffers with hitting irons way too high in the air, with quite a bit of spin. The Tour V iron shafts seem to really manage my numbers, and keep the ball quite a bit lower and less impacted by hitting into wind.

I think it depends a lot on your swing profile. You're looking at a true mid launch iron shaft with low spin, which is tremendous for someone like me who suffers with hitting irons way too high in the air, with quite a bit of spin. The Tour V iron shafts seem to really manage my numbers, and keep the ball quite a bit lower and less impacted by hitting into wind.

Dan have you spent significant time with KBS Tour? Are you seeing any real noticeable difference in flight from those to the V?

Dan have you spent significant time with KBS Tour? Are you seeing any real noticeable difference in flight from those to the V?

I played the KBS tour in X for a good part of early 2013 in j33 irons, and I hit them notably higher and with more spin than I do Tour V in stiff.

It's hard to put a benchmark on expectations though, because despite what KBS says on their site, I just finished demoing Tour V against C-Taper and hit the TourV lower and with better dispersion. The site would suggest I should be hitting the C-Taper lower, but it appears something about how the shaft loads has me hitting them higher.

Posted this in the apex thread but I love the high draw I am getting with these shafts. The lighter weight is much easier on me and allows a much smoother swing (when I remember). The launch angle is not making me lose any distance...in fact I've gained a couple yards.

They continue to impress.

How do these compare to Dynamic Golds in terms of launch and spin? What would the equiv be to say a DG S300 in terms of flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do these compare to Dynamic Golds in terms of launch and spin? What would the equiv be to say a DG S300 in terms of flex.

I can't give you numbers but my perception is they launch higher. I played the s300 and the tour v is stiff feels very similar. Maybe...maybe a touch softer. That's complete perception on my part and I have zero proof.

For my swing the tour V shafts launch lower, spin similar, and feel better than s300 overall.

Which flex in the tour v do you feel compares to the s300?

S to S in my opinion

Which flex in the tour v do you feel compares to the s300?

I think S to S is a fair comparison, although I'd probably be more inclined to play TourV at S before I'd play dynamic gold at S.

Tour v was soooo impressive today. It's so stable it's not even funny and the ball flight might just be perfect. The lighter weight is still paying dividends (36 holes this weekend and not sore at all) and it allows me to swing much more smoothly.

It's worth mentioning the feel. I have heard "KBS feel" hundreds of times. I am pretty sure I know what it's all about now. Combined with the apex it is just beautiful.

So happy.

for me this shaft is best described as= the KBS tour and the C-taper Lite had a baby. now you have a low spin, lighter, stable, and mid launch shaft with awesome feel.

yes please, hahaha have a extra CB3 6 iron sitting around, may have to have one of my club guys insert the Tour v in it and try it out.

Now that I finally have a set of Tour V's in the stable, I can reaffirm my love and/or obsession for these shafts.

I'm gaming the 110 in stiff, and it's more than adequate for my game. The spin is as controlled as I have ever seen based on my ball flight, and I can play into a reasonable wind without it being ballooned or knocked down. There's just something about the profile of these irons that truly work well for my game and the way I swing a golf club. Even the lighter weighting, where I normally play something in the realm of 125-130g is a breath of fresh air.

Also, the turn is so limited right now. It might be improved swings, but it also might be the sheer awesomeness of the shaft.

More on this soon, I'm sure. I may need to buy 20 sets just to make sure I've got them for the rest of my life.

Dan I'm playing the same shafts and couldn't agree more. I love them. I can make a much smoother swing with these and get a nice right draw on most irons.

Combined with the Apex it's such a great feel.

Been gaming irons with the Tour V shafts in them for about two weeks now, and iron accuracy and consistency has been fantastic.

While I attribute a lot of that to the heads, I am really starting to wonder if the Tour V's are genuinely "THE" shaft that just suits my swing. Has me pondering acquiring another set to move around through my gamers to see if I can recreate some of this incredible consistency.

Also, their wedge shafts -- I am really really interested in them.

I've been thinking a ton about shaft fittings, what works, what clearly doesn't, and what I need to do to prepare myself for a successful 2015. Part of that, will be to get my hands on another set of Tour V's, more than likely in stiff, to commit to my gamer irons. Whether they are massive altitudes or blades, I really think KBS hit the Canadan nail on the head with their design of the Tour V.

I don't even think I need to go X to keep my numbers in check. Probably worth giving a try, or hard stepping a stiff shaft - I don't want to walk away from the lighter weighting.

Back