THP TV - Tour Acceptance - KBS Tour V Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV had a chance to chat with KBS about the tour acceptance of the new KBS Tour V shafts.

Interesting discussion on fitting vs feel. Kim is a wealth of knowledge.

Amazing how much he talks about the mental side affecting tour players choices when it comes to feel. If it feels better, but isn't necessarily an optimum pairing, tour players will generally go with the one that feels better and sacrifices an optimum setup for that. Awesome interview.

It's amazing how much time/research/expertise goes into adding feel to an iron shaft. So much tech behind these.

Put this one on the car stereo in the way in to give it a listen. These are interesting shafts to me, I'm certain that they don't fit me in an ideal way, but I'd still like to spend a little time with them as I was a C-Taper player for a long time. Similar spin with a touch higher flight and actual FEEL? Sounds fun.

Also VERY interesting to hear him talk about tout players and how big of a role the feel plays versus just the numbers.

Kim Braly definitely a different school of thought versus many others... always interesting hearing him talk

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Great interview and tons of information in there. I like how Kim gets 'frustrated' as a fitter when tour players don't follow the numbers. Goes to show that fitting the tour players is as much mental as it is flat out producing numbers they can't argue.

Also VERY interesting to hear him talk about tour players and how big of a role the feel plays versus just the numbers.
James this seems to be in line with your previous comments in other threads where you have to put ego aside and just trust the numbers. I know the tour players are light years better than us, but wonder how much is ego vs. truly not feeling right even if the numbers show otherwise.

Interesting to hear that pros have such a hard time just going with what the numbers say is ideal.

it was very interesting hearing about how tour players can get fit in to one thing and then if it doesn't feel right, they just move along to something else. When this shaft came out I will admit I did not think of it as a Tour Players shaft. However after listening to the Kim it's clear that the feel is there and the interest is there from the best golfers in the world.

Another well done and exciting interview provided excellent information. You hear that a lot about feel in tour players is a must. Even if the numbers speak opposite of that. Well done.

Fantastic interview there with Kim. I'm sure it is frustrating for every piece of data to say a shaft is perfect and the player goes away from it. Now, for your guys to do that you can sort of understand, but not average Joe.

There's no denying the sturdy, harsher feel of the C-Taper shaft. If they can incorporate that tech into a shaft loaded with feel, wow.

Always great to hear from Kim through THP TV. Crazy knowledge.

Awesome interview. Mr. Braly is just one of those guys who knows so much about shafts that he can speak to you for hours and you'll walk away learning something different every time.

With all the launch monitors and devices that can give you exacting numbers out there sometimes fitting is still just "feels right" + "ball travels how I want it to". I love KBS for continuing to give us options to get the numbers close to what we feel and see. Every year I try to drop the 100 year old DG shaft but I just can't find something that blows it away in numbers, flight, and feel.

This was a great listen and I'm intrigued to try these in that 90/95 gram range that was mentioned. Since they aren't replacing anything and are said to increase feel for some, I'm curious where they slot in flight wise compared to Tour 90's and CTL's.

I'm loving learning more about KBS shafts. It sounds like they have a shaft to fit almost any player, and obviously have quite a bit of performance.

Am I recalling correctly from the previous video on these that they tend to have slightly lower launch and spin characteristics than the KBS Tour? Just curious because I would really like to give these a go but my KBS Tour is pretty much right on as far as flight is concerned. I wonder if I dropped to a considerably lighter weight in these if it would counteract the low launch low spin effects.

This shaft is definitely on my wish/ponder list now. It sounds like the ideal blend of lighter shaft without the higher launch.

Last edited:
by far my favorite shaft company, they keep bringing it up a level every year. amazing how far they've come in the last few years.

Will have to give these a try. I have never gamed KBS shafts but after recently trying these I feel like they fit what I am looking for a little better than my current TT shafts

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

for me this shaft is best described as= the KBS tour and the C-taper Lite had a baby. now you have a low spin, lighter, stable, and mid launch shaft with awesome feel.

for me this shaft is best described as= the KBS tour and the C-taper Lite had a baby. now you have a low spin, lighter, stable, and mid launch shaft with awesome feel.

I like how you described that there. If it holds true, it will be an amazing shaft without question.

Very interesting info right here. That even tour pros will leave some performance on the table to get something that feels better.

Just goes to show how the perception of "feel" is so important to so many in this sport. Swung the Tour V in the shop in an Apex Pro head and it did feel quite good - I don't think this is the right shaft fit for me (I think I'm a Tour 90 / C Taper Lite kind of guy) but this is certainly a solid shaft.

very interesting interview, I don't have much experience with KBS and believe I need to fix that.

I am not surprised at all by the tour players leaving performance on the table for feel.

Back