TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

I decided to finally replace my Steelhead Plus 3W and 5W last week. I bought a 15 degree JetSpeed 3W and a 19 degree JetSpeed hybrid on Memorial Day. Luckily, I didn't have any time to get to the range and hit them. In the meantime I noticed that the SDLR S metalwoods were released and the JetSpeed discontinued.

On Thursday I went back to hit the SLDR S 15 degree 3W and 19 degree hybrid...loved both of them so I exchanged the JetSpeed's I had just bought.

I have had one range session and one round with the new clubs. They are simply amazing. Within a few hits at the range, the 19 degree hybrid became my favorite club. The distance on the 3W is amazing. With my Stealhead, I would hit about 235ish. The SDLR S was consistently going 250-260. The 3W is very easy to hit off the tee (more on that below) but I had some difficulty off the deck but the range grass was in shambles when I hit.

I want the 3H to replace my hold 5W, which I hit about 210. The good/bad news is that I hit the 3H about 220-230.

On Friday I played 18 and found that I hit the new 3W about the same distance as my old R580xd...so it has almost made that club obsolete in my bag. On a 379 par 4, I used 3W off the tee and hit it in the fairway, 95 feet from the hole. It really changed my approach from "when do I need to hit 3W off the tee" to "when should I bother to bring out the big dog."

My best shot of the round was on a par 5 sitting 240 to the flag, slightly uphill with wind at my pack. At first I reached for the new 3W. I second guessed it and switched to the 3H. I hit a nice stroke to 10 feet below the hole. I was pretty giddy, to say the least. Of course I missed the eagle putt and had to make an interesting 6 footer downhill to save birdie but that's another story.

On the last hole, I hit driver on a 380 yard par 4. I absolutely corked it...as in couldn't hit it any better and it went to 100 yard marker. So, my thinking is 280 is pretty much the best I am going to do with my old R580xd.

Since I do want to carry a driver, I am going to get fitted for an SLDR S driver this afternoon...hopefully I will have similar initial success with it.

I love the sldr driver, having hit the sldr s driver, I like the idea of mini driver and know some holes and course I could use it on, but I rather have a 3 wood,

I havent had a chacne to hit the jetspeed or sldr s fairway, what are you all opinions on the fairway esp sldr s love the looks of it, I really need it to hit off the ground, more than the tee, Thanks
sldr fairway would work to but a friend of mine tried one he said it was hard to get airborn Thanks again

I love the sldr driver, having hit the sldr s driver, I like the idea of mini driver and know some holes and course I could use it on, but I rather have a 3 wood,

I havent had a chacne to hit the jetspeed or sldr s fairway, what are you all opinions on the fairway esp sldr s love the looks of it, I really need it to hit off the ground, more than the tee, Thanks
sldr fairway would work to but a friend of mine tried one he said it was hard to get airborn Thanks again

I like the SLDRs fairways. I get along with the shallower face. They remind me of the JetSpeed. Given the price differences, I might opt for the JT, but that's just me. I wouldn't shy away from trying the SLDRs fairways in a higher loft. They do offer a 3HL(17) and a 5HL(21) model.

I will say one thing too that I know you didn't ask. But I still am not enamored with the hybrid. I think it's more difficult to hit than the fairway woods.

I like the SLDRs fairways. I get along with the shallower face. They remind me of the JetSpeed. Given the price differences, I might opt for the JT, but that's just me. I wouldn't shy away from trying the SLDRs fairways in a higher loft. They do offer a 3HL(17) and a 5HL(21) model.

I will say one thing too that I know you didn't ask. But I still am not enamored with the hybrid. I think it's more difficult to hit than the fairway woods.

Agreed the HL SLDR fairways are fairly easy to hit off the deck or the tee but the low profile of the JetSpeed and SLDRs make them easier off the deck
I think the SLDR hybrid is ok but there are better out there

In what loft did you struggle with the hybrid? I didn't find that to be much of the case. I know our swings are different and all but what was giving you the trouble?

In what loft did you struggle with the hybrid? I didn't find that to be much of the case. I know our swings are different and all but what was giving you the trouble?

I have the 3 hybrid, 19*

I thought the 4 hybrid was great. Granted, I have not spent as much time with it as you have, so that could change with time.

I thought the 4 hybrid was great. Granted, I have not spent as much time with it as you have, so that could change with time.

I ordered the 4 for the MC Bag. Perhaps I just need to #loftup

I ordered the 4 for the MC Bag. Perhaps I just need to #loftup

Very true. For whatever reason, 20° seems to be my limit on hybrids.

Believe I'll try the sldr sldr s and jetspeed fairway and x2 hot, trying to replace my Adams 9032ti, it still works and may not change just like to see how it compares every year but I always keep it in the bag, Thanks for the info

Believe I'll try the sldr sldr s and jetspeed fairway and x2 hot, trying to replace my Adams 9032ti, it still works and may not change just like to see how it compares every year but I always keep it in the bag, Thanks for the info

looking forward to your thoughts

Very true. For whatever reason, 20° seems to be my limit on hybrids.

Mine is about 25, or so I thought until my fitting. I didn't have any trouble hitting the SLDRs line. They're dirty long.

Anyone come from the RBZ or stage 2 line of fws to these? Curious to how they compare, I've really been pondering

I have played a 9.5 TaylorMade R580xd for many years. Given the whole #loftup chatter, I figured I would be playing a 12 degree SLDR S Driver. When I was fitted for the SLDR S Driver, I ended up with the 10 degree. The 12 degree launch was just too high for me. So, my #loftup amounted to .5 degree.

I have played a 9.5 TaylorMade R580xd for many years. Given the whole #loftup chatter, I figured I would be playing a 12 degree SLDR S Driver. When I was fitted for the SLDR S Driver, I ended up with the 10 degree. The 12 degree launch was just too high for me. So, my #loftup amounted to .5 degree.

Thats interesting, could be due to the different shaft. Btw, I played the R580XD driver, 3, 5, and 7 woods for years. Loved those clubs!

I've tried the x2 hot fairway feels good good distance but I like the hybrid better than the wood, jetspeed liked it as well, both are good fairways, I've just used my 9032ti so long we have a good relationship, still havent hit the sldr s fairway but will soon I hope,
how do you all feel about the sldr s fairway 3 15 degree,
the sldr driver non s havent hit it yet, but the regular sldr driver maybe best driver I've ever own,

I've tried the x2 hot fairway feels good good distance but I like the hybrid better than the wood, jetspeed liked it as well, both are good fairways, I've just used my 9032ti so long we have a good relationship, still havent hit the sldr s fairway but will soon I hope,
the sldr driver non s havent hit it yet, but the regular sldr driver maybe best driver I've ever own,

The SLDR s fairways feel and look very similar to the Jetspeed but they spin a bit less for me

I have both a JetSpeed and SLDRs 3w. For me they play pretty similar. You mention the x2 hot hybrid. I have one of those and the SLRDs 3 hybrid, and I much prefer the x2 hot hybrid. I find the SLDRs hybrid more difficult to hit and the results aren't nearly as consistent.

The SLDR s fairways feel and look very similar to the Jetspeed but they spin a bit less for me

I don't really have spin numbers on both to compare, but for me I bet they are pretty similar. With pricing the way it is right now, I'm not sure I would jump for the SLDRs over the JS when it comes to the fairway woods. I just don't think it's a big upgrade.

When I did my MC fitting, my numbers were better at 10 than 12. Launch was the same but the results were better. My gamer is a 10.5.. I lofted down :(

Thanks, the looks of jetspeed kind of remind me of the hibore fairways from years ago, not sure why but when i seen it thats first thing i thought of,
sldr s fairway i really like the looks of it,

So far I love my SLDR S 3W (15 degree). I did not hit the regular SLDR very well. I did hit the Jetspeed well but went with SLDR S. I have experienced large distance gains over my ancient but trusty Callaway Steelhead Plus 3W...so much so that I had to reshuffle things a bit. It's forgiving off the fairway but it also plays nicely for me off the tee. I find myself using it as the default of the tee many times. For example, for a course I am playing this weekend I plan to hit Driver on 6 holes, 3W on 6 holes, and 3H on 2.

With that said, I love the SLDR S 3H (19 degree) even more. It sets up very nicely and feels great. I will probably use it in many/most places I used to use my 3W.

The jury is still out for actual play as I only have a couple rounds in, but many range visits. I am playing 90 holes this weekend so I guess I will know by Sunday ; )

Sounds good did you get stiff flex, you mention hybrid i still havent tried it either, thats the problem with living in a rural area, its two hours drive north, south, east, west to find a big box store to try clubs,

I have stock stiff shafts on all my new SLDR S clubs. The club fitter for my SLDR S driver thought my results would be a little better and more consistent with a heavier shaft but I decided to try the stock for a while before messing with shafts. For the 3W and 3H I went to a big box store where the employees are more bystanders than consultants so I went with the stiff shaft based on swing speed and personal preference (reg flex graphite shafts have always produced too much flex and wild shots for me).

Maybe it's because I have been playing a Taylor Made Rescue 4 (22 degree) with a stiff shaft for a few years now, but the 3H felt like home from the first few swings. Going into the whole process last month, I thought I was going to buy the X2 Hots...but I just didn't hit them very well.

Proshop had a couple of these in today and asked if I wanted to take them out, I actually had and have no urge whatsoever to, its strange.

Proshop had a couple of these in today and asked if I wanted to take them out, I actually had and have no urge whatsoever to, its strange.

Just wait til you hit the Mini. It will change your mind.

Back